School homework- anti trump, can I ask a some questions !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

Butterfly

I came across a number of articles and videos about the homework set by one teacher that is obviously being seen as being wrong..... However when I looked at the homework it is clearly about a book being looked at and used as a means of defining certain answers and views. The teacher isn't claiming that she is anti trump , or asking the children what their views are, but asking to consider what the authors views were.
Why is it considered wrong to discuss ?
If my grand daughter brought home the same kind of homework about a book that was anti Thereasa may , I would not see it as being wrong as such. I would see it as a book review and evaluation of ' what the author was meaning '
We discuss things all the time - so what am I missing ?
Why are some people calling for this teacher to be fired, don't you think that's a bit over the top !
I am an outsider looking in , so I thought I would ask for an insider prospective.
Rita

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are the books she assigns pro and con, BOTH ways? It might be that the kids are being fed only ONE political perspective, and THAT could be what the parents are objecting to.

Reactions: Enoch111

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I came across a number of articles and videos about the homework set by one teacher that is obviously being seen as being wrong..... However when I looked at the homework it is clearly about a book being looked at and used as a means of defining certain answers and views. The teacher isn't claiming that she is anti trump , or asking the children what their views are, but asking to consider what the authors views were.
Why is it considered wrong to discuss ?
If my grand daughter brought home the same kind of homework about a book that was anti Thereasa may , I would not see it as being wrong as such. I would see it as a book review and evaluation of ' what the author was meaning '
We discuss things all the time - so what am I missing ?
Why are some people calling for this teacher to be fired, don't you think that's a bit over the top !
I am an outsider looking in , so I thought I would ask for an insider prospective.
Rita
i guess we have been more overtly fascist for several years now, in a way that just doesn't obtain there? Chomsky noted in his movie Requiem that even comments we consider acceptable here would be laughed at hilariously if an Italian said the same thing about other Italians critiquing Italy. Italy being the poster child for fascism I guess?
Requiem for the American Dream (2015) | WatchDocumentaries.com
Requiem for the American Dream (2016)

the first link is better if you are not in the US, if you are in the US use vpn or the second link

B

Butterfly

Hey Rita...
Not heard anything re this. Can you copy and paste a couple of links about it?
So we can see the issues going on...
Is these the ones that you saw? Or is it a different issue?

Anti-Trump homework assignment angers New York father | Daily Mail Online

School Claims It Received Death Threats After Anti-Trump Homework Assignment
I just typed something in to the Google search and it came up with links to USA news- the second link you have was listed.
I am sorry I cannot cut and paste on my iPad.
I saw part of the story from a link on Facebook, it was on fox news, so I decided to try and find out ' in context ' what it was about
Rita

B

Butterfly

Are the books she assigns pro and con, BOTH ways? It might be that the kids are being fed only ONE political perspective, and THAT could be what the parents are objecting to.
There wasn't enough on the link to relay the rest of the material that was being used. The article I saw had a page from the book on one side, and a list of questions about it on the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Willie T

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you mean? OF COURSE the classroom is "Fair And Balanced". Haven't you seen the children singing songs about President Trump?

What's the big deal, -- there's no brain washing propaganda in our children's schools, or in the news, or in our GOVERNMENT! Who'd be so foolish to think THAT???

Bobby Jo

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T
B

Butterfly

Lol - I cannot imagine any teacher in the UK getting the young children to sing songs about any of our prime ministers - but we did often have to sing ' God save the Queen ' when I was at school, don't think they do that anymore !

Okay, I guess the point I was endeavouring to discuss was about what is considered okay to discuss in schools- is it not okay to talk about the president unless it's only good - are teachers not allowed to debate or bring up negatives about the president ?
Rita

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol - I cannot imagine any teacher in the UK getting the young children to sing songs about any of our prime ministers - but we did often have to sing ' God save the Queen ' when I was at school, don't think they do that anymore !

Okay, I guess the point I was endeavouring to discuss was about what is considered okay to discuss in schools- is it not okay to talk about the president unless it's only good - are teachers not allowed to debate or bring up negatives about the president ?
Rita
I feel that nothing like that should be done unless it is balanced with ideas, both good and bad.

B

Butterfly

So if it was balanced it would be okay to use negative material - so there isn't a rule that says you cannot debate the president in school lessons or homework
Rita

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if it was balanced it would be okay to use negative material - so there isn't a rule that says you cannot debate the president in school lessons or homework
Rita
There certainly shouldn't be. But, as you seem to have suggested, I don't see "balanced" as just a word to be used, then dismissed, subsequently presenting material that is all only negative or positive. "Balanced" means just that.... as much good presented as bad, and in the same timeframe.

B

Butterfly

I think balanced debate is healthy - as long as both sides ( for and against ) are represented. I know there was other material with the school that I mentioned, but I think perhaps it was other examples of what ever the teacher was endeavouring to show the class. So it wasn't a debate about the president, more about material about him being used as a tool. I cannot find the article ( typical )
I didn't know if the school system had censorship yet ?
Are the school allowed to teach Christianity ?
What about evolution ?
Sorry that's a little bit off topic , but I guess it's okay as I started the thread

B

Butterfly

Bobby Jo, I wouldn't want school children singing about Trump or Obama - found that all a bit weird !
( just as I wouldn't want them to sing about our leaders)
Although, I guess they did sing about Abraham Lincoln ( or is that just in films !! ) lol

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bobby Jo, I wouldn't want school children singing about Trump or Obama ...

Yeah, -- I think the point was that virtually EVERYTHING society teaches us (schools, news, at work) is a "social agenda". Accept deviant behavior, and don't push your "morals" on us.

This duplicity is clear when a "liberal" political person defends his/her "party" which has been caught in a particular misdeed by saying BOTH PARTIES are guilty of whatever Slander, Lies, Deceptions, Sexual Misdeeds, etc. They virtually NEVER admit the "sin" which they've been caught at, but simply blame BOTH SIDES. -- And typically here in the U.S. if a conservative member is caught in a misdeed, his/her fellow conservatives DENOUNCE the misdeed AND the culprit.

And this is not to suggest that ALL of one party or the other are of either mindset, or that EITHER party is the solution. -- There's only ONE solution, and that's Jesus. :)

Bobby Jo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Rita
There's always: "Lloyd George knew my father, Father knew Lloyd George", sung to the tune 'Onward, Christian soldiers'. (A choir set a record of many hours' endurance, singing those words over and over...)

B

Butterfly

There's always: "Lloyd George knew my father, Father knew Lloyd George", sung to the tune 'Onward, Christian soldiers'. (A choir set a record of many hours' endurance, singing those words over and over...)

I was going to say ' that would be interesting to hear' but I think I will give it a miss !

Reactions: farouk
B

Butterfly

should I look it up, or should I withhold on the temptation as I may well regret it if I give in ! Lol

Reactions: farouk