Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God -??? what does that mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear Christians talk about the Kingdom of God all too often just makes me wonder.

I know the King. And so, I have to come to know some of those in His - angels - that He sends to minister to those who will inherit salvation.

So, to me - seeking first the Kingdom of God means seeking the King of kings and those angels who serve Him! That means I open up my spiritual ears and hear the Lord and those He sends to me.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear Christians talk about the Kingdom of God all too often just makes me wonder.

I know the King. And so, I have to come to know some of those in His - angels - that He sends to minister to those who will inherit salvation.

So, to me - seeking first the Kingdom of God means seeking the King of kings and those angels who serve Him! That means I open up my spiritual ears and hear the Lord and those He sends to me.
How do you distinguish between those he sends to you, and those who are trying to trick you?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you distinguish between those he sends to you, and those who are trying to trick you?

Great question:

There are a number of ways but first I test them.

1 John 4:1-3 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.

Now to use this test you must have ears to hear them. So I have them confess the Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. It gets interesting, because sometimes they just flee, but sometimes they will actually say, "I can't tell you that.'' And BTW, make sure they confess Jesus Christ as opposed to just Jesus. I have learned from experience to make sure of that.

Another test I sometimes use, and I know a number of Christians who do use this first, is from 1 Cor 12:3 Therefore, I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. Again, it is not quite so obvious and seems to be assumed, but I use Jesus Christ is Lord as opposed to just Jesus. Of course demons are not actually serving any Jesus but Satan, so perhaps it is more than needed, but when I use that test I use "Jesus Christ"

Now there also comes the experience factor as to when to use those tests.

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

The more you use your spiritual senses, which includes hearing with your spiritual ears, the better you are at discerning between good and evil. Still, don't let that completely stop you from testing the spirits!!

Another thing is that the Lord usually tells you when He is sending an angel of angels to you.

Now you might also be asking Him for the Kingdom come, and if you ask you are going to receive if you abide in His word (the Lord Jesus Christ is the Word of God), so I often get angels right after I ask for them - or pray Thy Kingdom Come. We often don't think about this much, but we have access to God's Kingdom, so praying "Thy Kingdom Come" is available for us to pray at any time. In fact if we become more familiar with His Kingdom we can ask for certain help - eg certain angels.

It is written that what is loose in heaven is loosed on earth, so we can ask for angels to be loosed on earth and get our request answered. So let's say you know someone that just seems to need to joy in their life - you can ask the King of kings, Jesus Christ, to send Joy (angels of Joy) to that someone. Now again, some experience is valuable. Doesn't Jesus Christ know better than you what is needed? So, I have found it better, after some experience, to ask the Lord to do what He thinks is best in most situations.

There is much more that can be said about this, but first let us start seeking the Kingdom of God ourselves and won't the King show you all the above and more? He did me. :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

God's Kingdom are the principles and behaviours which lend themselves to life.
No swifties, no short changing, no clubs, no inflation/deflation, homelessness is banished as are muggers and thuggers, ....now on the positive, no unproductive gardens, inclusion, discovery of the Universe, thought travel, no nice smiles with devious hearts, transparency and of course easy seas and fair winds ....and norgen vaaz. :)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The kingdom of God is in the spiritual realm. It is Zion where the Lord has chosen to fellowship with humankind. When we enter into Christ we are translated (Harpazo) to be with the Lord. This is a mystery that must be experienced to understand properly.
Being filled with the Spirit is necessary to experience Christ in Zion. And to do that requires being baptized in the Spirit. A walk on that level is a constant walk in holiness by the keeping power (grace) of God.

There are spiritual faculties as well as physical ones. Unless one is born of the Spirit it isn't possible to have spiritual faculties such as seeing. Jesus said...I only do what I SEE My Father doing. Jesus had spiritual faculties as well as physical ones. And we are gifted as such when we enter into Him. Of course, not many can claim truthfully to have walked in the Spirit. Entering into that realm requires a full surrender of everything we have and are to God.

The walk in Christ is a sacrificial walk...hence its unpopularity. We give over ownership of ourselves to God in order to enter into the kingdom realm while we yet live in this world.

God is selfless. And we must give up our self-life to be with Him. When we enter into Christ we come under His righteousness as a covering. This is the gift of righteousness for all who are in Christ.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's Kingdom are the principles and behaviours which lend themselves to life.

The kingdom of God is in the spiritual realm.

It is written, "Seek and Ye shall find"

And Jesus said to "Seek First the Kingdom of God"... and also told us to pray "Thy Kingdom Come"... and something about God being slow to respond like we think.

So is the kingdom of God some "principles and behaviours which lend themselves to life", or is the Kingdom of God a Kingdom in the spiritual realm?

Pilate asked Jesus if He was a King and Jesus Christ had a response for Pilot:

Jn 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm.”

So His kingdom is of a realm which is not of this world. Which makes sense because God is spirit. Therefore, His Kingdom would be in the spiritual realm. And note - Jesus said "My servants"!! Is it surprising that the King of kings and Lord of lords has servants???

The thing that amazes me personally is why don't we Christian know this?? Why do we even write it down as if it is a "mystery".

This is a mystery that must be experienced to understand properly.

Yeah - it does seem to be a mystery to some, but it should not be a mystery to us Christians!!!!

Jesus told His disciple that they would see the angels ascending and descending upon Him!!! If we have our spiritual eyes and ears open, and are indeed praying "Thy Kingdom Come" - how have we not seen the angels in heaven that serve Him, "descending and ascending on Him?" Concerning those angels, the question is asked, (Heb 1:14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?

To me that answer to that question is obvious!!! Of course, they are!! Because He quite regularly sends the angels who serve Him to minister to me. After reading the Bible I would be concerned if I was not getting ministered to by angels that He was sending. That would seem to mean I might not inherit salvation - according to the Bible.

When I go to church I of course wind up talking to and getting to know some of the people there. So, it only figures that when I start hanging about the King, I am going to wind up talking to and getting to know some of the angels there!!!!

I really, really, want people to come to know Jesus Christ the King of kings and Lord of lords. I figure that if indeed they get to know the King they certainly must also wind up getting to know something about that realm (spiritual realm) in which His Kingdom is! Certainly they must wind up talking to and getting to know some of the angels who serve Him, right??

At church there are a few people (friends) I like to talk to like Steve and Art. In the Kingdom of God there are a few angels I like to talk to like Josh and Alfred. Now in the Kingdom I personally know the King and He calls me by my name. Sadly, my church is really big, so while I like the main pastor and of course know his name, he doesn't even know me or my name. An assistant pastor does but not the main pastor. Frankly I like the Kingdom of God better than the 'kingdom' that might be called 'my church'. The Lord's church/Kingdom is better because all going there will know Him.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:31-34

To me it means that if we put God's authority first in our lives and live righteously in him we need not worry about anything. Many years ago as new Christian I was told by somebody I respect that to worry is a sin because it means we aren't trusting in God.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:31-34

To me it means that if we put God's authority first in our lives and live righteously in him we need not worry about anything. Many years ago as new Christian I was told by somebody I respect that to worry is a sin because it means we aren't trusting in God.

Is that how that verse reads? That we don't worry and just trust God? Of does it actually read to "seek first his kingdom and his righteousness"?

It see people - Christians - how take that attitude that things will work out find - but they don't seek first the kingdom of God nor His righteousness - but instead just going about doing what they think is right and saying the trust in God that it will work out!! But that is not who the verse reads!!!

It reads "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness" and there is something about not leaning on our own understanding!!

When I seek first the Kingdom of God, I start hearing from the King - my Lord Jesus Christ - and then He also sends angels to minister to me and help me. Amazingly they tend to help me make good decisions with my business that the Lord had me start. That help enables me to have keep this business going for twenty years now. That business which the Kingdom of God (the King and His holy angels) have enabled me to run and keep going pays for the things I need, like the things I eat and drink.

And isn't God authority expressed through His Kingdom? I mean if I listen to the King and the holy angels He sends, I am given instructions and they come with His authority, right? So, what about the Christian who does not listen to the Lord and doesn't seek His Kingdom? They are not getting any instructions from the Kingdom of God, so by what authority do they us to do the things they do?

To me - it seems that the church (the Christians) wind up having way too many problems in their lives, and I think a good deal of that comes from not seeking the Kingdom of God like they should and instead are just leaning on their own understanding and letting thing fall where they will. That is not what the verse says!!

For five years the Lord had me working in a Christian healing ministry. We got sooooo many Christians coming in with all sorts of problems. What is eat, what to wear, how to keep out of jail, all kinds of relationship problems, job problems, and of course some physical healing needs also. I can tell you what the main problem was. The main problem was, and that was most of them were not seeking their King nor His Kingdom!!

So, the first thing we did was start listening to the Lord ourselves to find out how He wanted us to proceed. Then we prayed for them and tried to get them hearing from the Lord so they might get used to seeking Him, their King! And in that ministry I often encounter the angels He has working with us in that ministry. Sometimes the person we were praying for would look at me and say, "There are angels around here, aren't there?" Yes there were. They were around and helping us. Indeed, before we got going we would pray and I always made sure I prayed "Thy Kingdom Come" I would not have wanted to try and do that ministry without the Kingdom of God!

People and fellow Christians - you should not be trying to go through your life without the Kingdom of God either!! So pray "Thy Kingdom Come" and then pay attention to those sent to you!