Self analysis of your Christian witness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
have you ever tried to get an outside perspective of your Christian witness?

Ever wondered how the world sees your attempts to share Christ?

Does it matter? Are we supposed to care about it?

What is our responsibilty ( if any) in sharing our saving relationship with Christ with the world?

What are some of the ways we can be misunderstood by others?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are verses for this and the are "outside perspectives". Romans 13:1-7. Hebrews 13:17.

It doesn't matter directly. It matters to God and those mentioned in Romans 13 and Hebrews 13. Indirectly yes it does matter.

Look, being his witnesses doesn't mean his converters. It can mean that and sometimes it will happen. Sometimes we will convert a lost shhep. But that is not what its all about.being his witness is more about showing the world and Satan that a falken Son of God can get back and can live by faith. Its about showing it can be done.

We are the salt of the earth. Salt ain't ever had to grab anyone and say its good. But its enticing... And makes one thirsty. Thats why I like to be salty!.

Absolutely it matters, ut not to appmy a verbal headlock or full nelson for Jesus. Sometimes appropriate. But more often then not Appropriate.

What is our responsibilty ( if any) in sharing our saving relationship with Christ with the world?
To be ready to give an account of the hope that lies within us. And to let out light (Jesus) shine. What better way than to be salty? Be victorious? Be thankful in all things?

Reactions: Richard_oti

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you have a good understand of it, FHII

I’ve noticed many Christians who claim to be witnessing Jesus and hope, but live there lives like fatalists - the chicken little syndrome and the world sees it.

I think fatalism has satuarated our politics at the moment - and it is no surprise to me that a large contigency of Evwngelicals voted for Trump. If Trump fails......it is all part of many Evangelicals end of the world senario

Reactions: bbyrd009 and FHII

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The only way that we can be understood by others, is if God opens their ears and eyes to hear and see. Nonetheless, one lays the foundation, an another builds upon it. We do and say and give testimony according to what we are called. It's not a choice, but rather who we are.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
no kidding

by talking, primarily, i guess.

a month of silence is a big eye opener, lol

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The only way that we can be understood by others, is if God opens their ears and eyes to hear and see. Nonetheless, one lays the foundation, an another builds upon it. We do and say and give testimony according to what we are called. It's not a choice, but rather who we are.

I was going to write a similar response.
For many years we 'did' the evangelizing thing. We were told "that is what Christian's have to do." For the most part it was none fruitful ( we 'may have been sowing seeds, maybe someone else reaped later...maybe)

For the last many years we just wait for an 'opening' in conversation...drop a tiny seed and see if there is any interest. That way it is the people who are asking, not us pushing it upon them.
But, if the Holy Spirit is not softening their hearts and preparing the soil...and drawing them...it falls on deaf ears.

I do like the quote which is full of wisdom:-
"Preach the Gospel at all times..... sometimes use words, if necessary"

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes. This is the common answer in response to rejection of our witness by others. I understand it happens sometimes, but it is used to justify every negative encounter. Indeed, it is used to legitimize a bad witness - a lot.

Preaching fatalism, legalism, and igniting shame in others isn’t covered by the ‘world hates you because of me’ clause.

Reactions: bbyrd009

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was going to write a similar response.
For many years we 'did' the evangelizing thing. We were told "that is what Christian's have to do." For the most part it was none fruitful ( we 'may have been sowing seeds, maybe someone else reaped later...maybe)

For the last many years we just wait for an 'opening' in conversation...drop a tiny seed and see if there is any interest. That way it is the people who are asking, not us pushing it upon them.
But, if the Holy Spirit is not softening their hearts and preparing the soil...and drawing them...it falls on deaf ears.

I do like the quote which is full of wisdom:-
"Preach the Gospel at all times..... sometimes use words, if necessary"

Yes. St Francis has taught me a great deal about witnessing.

Do you believe we are really equipped to determine the effectiveness of our witness? I know I have been wrong time and time again in this area. It seems like the more positive feedback i receive, the less receptive the person really is.....

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. This is the common answer in response to rejection of our witness by others. I understand it happens sometimes, but it is used to justify every negative encounter. Indeed, it is used to legitimize a bad witness - a lot.

Preaching fatalism, legalism, and igniting shame in others isn’t covered by the ‘world hates you because of me’ clause.
Nor can unbelief in some be attributed to those who witness out of a pure heart.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Word

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Nor can unbelief in some be attributed to those who witness out of a pure heart.
ha but see how unbelief in many might be attributed to those who only perceive that they are witnessing from a pure heart, right. This is surely the much more prevalent situation, reality, manifestation

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha but see how unbelief in many might be attributed to those who only perceive that they are witnessing from a pure heart, right. This is surely the much more prevalent situation, reality, manifestation
Nonetheless, all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Nonetheless, all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.
ha so to restate that in context i agree that proselytizers drive seekers away from Christianity, yes, but then can unbelief in some be attributed to those who witness out of a pure heart? Depends upon who gets to define "pure heart," see. Maybe Grams will enlighten us here in a bit, on that thread maybe :)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha so to restate that in context i agree that proselytizers drive seekers away from Christianity, yes, but then can unbelief in some be attributed to those who witness out of a pure heart? Depends upon who gets to define "pure heart," see. Maybe Grams will enlighten us here in a bit, on that thread maybe :)
The heart is pure (or not) for different reasons. Truth or untruth, on the other hand, can be spread by both, whether aware or unaware.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The heart is pure (or not) for different reasons.
"Two men in a bed!"
Truth or untruth, on the other hand, can be spread by both, whether aware or unaware.
"out of the mouth of babes!"

a pretty accurate summation, yup
hmm, interesting that we have idiom for one side of each perspective, sort of, but not the other, huh?
The heart is likely pure for only one reason, i guess
And truth being spread by the aware, hmm, all that are coming to me are antitheses; can you quote a thesis one?
(i'm assuming "babes" = "pure heart, spitting truth" there, and we can easily envision a babe in error, or an evil heart illuminating truth even, via left-handedness, but "truth spread by the aware" is not coming to me, except as an assumption. Little help, anyone?)

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA