Self Knowledge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The soul, who is lifted by a very great and yearning desire for the honor of God and the salvation of souls, begins by exercising herself, for a certain space of time, in the ordinary virtues, remaining in the cell of self-knowledge, in order to know better the goodness of God towards her. This she does because knowledge must precede love, and only when she has attained love, can she strive to follow and to clothe herself with the truth.”

Self knowledge proceeds love? It makes sense, you must know yourself to deny yourself. In order to love others like yourself, you have to know yourself.

Who are you?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Self knowledge proceeds love? It makes sense, you must know yourself to deny yourself. In order to love others like yourself, you have to know yourself.

Goodness, this is one of those 'heady' threads that I can't understand.. it more up @bbyrd009 's street.

I am not convinced that we can ever "know ourself" ..we in and of ourself are deluded and lie to ourself...we 'hide' more in what we wish we were, rather than 'really know' who we are...

So this I cannot understand ..how does someone 'know themselves'??

~. ~ download.jpg

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“The soul, who is lifted by a very great and yearning desire for the honor of God and the salvation of souls, begins by exercising herself, for a certain space of time, in the ordinary virtues, remaining in the cell of self-knowledge, in order to know better the goodness of God towards her. This she does because knowledge must precede love, and only when she has attained love, can she strive to follow and to clothe herself with the truth.”

Ok, I need to study this one for awhile.

Reactions: Mayflower and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness, this is one of those 'heady' threads that I can't understand.. it more up @bbyrd009 's street.

I am not convinced that we can ever "know ourself" ..we in and of ourself are deluded and lie to ourself...we 'hide' more in what we wish we were, rather than 'really know' who we are...

So this I cannot understand ..how does someone 'know themselves'??

~. ~ View attachment 3698

Wise post.

I am coming to believe that we are unable to know ourselves without other people. God made us interdependent.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eh. I think TOO much. It gets in the way of me truly loving others, because I get so busy worrying about things, I can't help anybody else and do the ministry I am called to do. At the same time, self knowledge in who we are in Christ Jesus...this is necessary in loving others, because only by knowing who we are in Christ, sons and daughters of the King, can we love ourselves first of all.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eh. I think TOO much. It gets in the way of me truly loving others, because I get so busy worrying about things, I can't help anybody else and do the ministry I am called to do. At the same time, self knowledge in who we are in Christ Jesus...this is necessary in loving others, because only by knowing who we are in Christ, sons and daughters of the King, can we love ourselves first of all.

Great post - i used to worry and then I turned forty andd my world unraveled and i survived. Check out the book ‘Becoming Human’ by Jean Vanier

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great post - i used to worry and then I turned forty andd my world unraveled and i survived. Check out the book ‘Becoming Human’ by Jean Vanier

I get spirits of indecision and anxiety a lot that are hard to fight. It is hard to stop thinking. :D But now I am trying to remember who my Father is. When He is for me, who can be against me? God is with us wherever we go and He is all knowing, all loving, and with us always. He is with His children. I am so thankful to God for that

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get spirits of indecision and anxiety a lot that are hard to fight. It is hard to stop thinking. :D But now I am trying to remember who my Father is. When He is for me, who can be against me? God is with us wherever we go and He is all knowing, all loving, and with us always. He is with His children. I am so thankful to God for that

Yes. Remember, you have zero control over outcomes - zip. Zero.

So, what are you left with that is under your control? Planning and faith. Faith is the choice to suspend your ‘no’ or your disbelief long enough to pay attention to how events unfold. It is the mental choice to sit through the entire rollercoaster ride without bailing out early. When events unfold completely, we can see how God was involved and learn from His truth. And we can see how well we loved through the event and how to proceed loving in the aftermath. In every case, loving others well is the correct response

Reactions: Mayflower

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Who are you?

Know yourself. This is very important. When we fail even more than when we succeed, we are learning our limitations. A person that doesn't realize who he/she is can't see himself/herself properly in the word. Most people think too highly of themselves and a few have low self-esteem. But who sees themselves as they truly are?
We need to know which parts of us are really us..and which parts of us are just a masquerade...something we have developed for self-protection. We must know what is being edified in us. Otherwise our sins will grow along with our knowledge. Knowledge puffs up...but love edifies.

Can we see ourselves? Or are we known to others but remain unknown to ourselves?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Remember, you have zero control over outcomes - zip. Zero.

So, what are you left with that is under your control? Planning and faith. Faith is the choice to suspend your ‘no’ or your disbelief long enough to pay attention to how events unfold. It is the mental choice to sit through the entire rollercoaster ride without bailing out early. When events unfold completely, we can see how God was involved and learn from His truth. And we can see how well we loved through the event and how to proceed loving in the aftermath. In every case, loving others well is the correct response

This is encouraging after a super frustrating experience today. Thanks.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who are you?
Catherine of Siena said that. And she lived way back in the 1300's. I doubt people today even begin to think like she did.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My false self is opinion

My true self is love + God

True self of a Christian is hybrid. The Kingdom is within

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think contemplation really helps me to not allow anxiety to dominate my life. When I am able to separate my thoughts, emtions and will from my true self, i can experience peace of mind, which lasts throught the day.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy said this in Hamlet:
"This above all- to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Maybe it is a good train of thought to follow.

Reactions: Mayflower and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Know yourself. This is very important. When we fail even more than when we succeed, we are learning our limitations. A person that doesn't realize who he/she is can't see himself/herself properly in the word. Most people think too highly of themselves and a few have low self-esteem. But who sees themselves as they truly are?
We need to know which parts of us are really us..and which parts of us are just a masquerade...something we have developed for self-protection. We must know what is being edified in us. Otherwise our sins will grow along with our knowledge. Knowledge puffs up...but love edifies.

Can we see ourselves? Or are we known to others but remain unknown to ourselves?

How have you been, Episkopos?

It has been a couple of years....

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, this same concept is found in that book I have been touting, Celebration of Discipline.

Yes. Good book. One of the first books i read as a new Christian - i am sure some of the info was foundational. It sure help me carve out a place for prayer