Set free from sin, thus enabled to be overcomers!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[SIZE=9pt]Born-again believers are set free from sin, enabling them to be overcomers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]All Scriptures are from The Living Bible …[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“All praise to Him (Jesus) who always loves us [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]and who set us free from our sins …” (Revelation 1:5)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Should we keep on sinning when we don’t have to? For sin’s power[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]over us was broken when we became Christians … through His death [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]the power of your sinful nature was shattered.” (Romans 6:2-3)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“… your sin-loving body is no longer under sin’s control,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]no longer needs to be a slave to sin … your old sin-loving [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]nature ‘died’ with Christ … So look upon your old sin nature [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]as dead and unresponsive to sin …” (Romans 6:6-11)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Sin need never again be your master, for now you [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]are no longer tied to the law where sin enslaves you, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]but you are free under God’s favor and mercy.” (Romans 6:14)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“Don’t you realize that you can choose your own master? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]You can choose sin (with death) or else obedience (with acquittal)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]… you are free from your old master, sin ... so now you must let [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]yourselves be slaves to all that is right and holy.” (Romans 6:16-19)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]“But now you are free from the power of sin and are slaves of God, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]and His benefits to you include holiness and everlasting life.” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt](Romans 6:22)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Hopefully you are God’s slave, because that’s what you are called to be.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]This is another instance of Paul’s encouragement gone overboard.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Does being set free automatically make a believer God’s slave?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]No, because the believer’s free will is involved; he/she is not a robot.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Jesus had John write to the believers in the 7 churches in Turkey[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]All Scriptures are from the NKJV …[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To Ephesus, the loveless church[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Revelation 2:7)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]“To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Those who overcome Satan and his temptations get to eat from the [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]tree of life, and having eaten from it, they shall receive eternal life.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To Smyrna, the persecuted church[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Revelation 2:10-11)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]“Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of (eternal) life.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]… He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]The second death refers to eternal death, which is the lake of fire.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To Pergamos, the compromising church[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Revelation 2:17)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]“To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]which no one knows except him who receives it.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]In the OT, a white stone was given as proof of having been invited.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To Thyatira, the corrupt church[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Revelation 2:26-28)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]“And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]to him I will give power over the nations … as I also have [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]received from My Father; and I will give him the morning star.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Some other translations say, “does Christ’s will to the end”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To Sardis, the dead church[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Revelation 3:5)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]“He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Those dressed in white will be declared righteous in God’s sight. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Those who do not remain firm in faith will have their names erased.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To Philadelphia, the faithful church[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Revelation 3:12)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]“He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Those who overcome Satan will dwell forever with God and Christ.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]To Laodicea, the lukewarm church[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Revelation 3:21)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]“To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Please note: Jesus did not overcome by believing He is the Son of God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]He is talking about a different overcoming than John does in 1 John 5:5.[/SIZE]

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Preach against today's Laodicean (fallen) church, and see what happens ...
Ignored because of ignorance.

In these end times - last days ...
watch the doctrines of men continue to reign over the Holy Scriptures!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
Preach against today's Laodicean (fallen) church, and see what happens ...
Ignored because of ignorance.

In these end times - last days ...
watch the doctrines of men continue to reign over the Holy Scriptures!
The churches today teach a blended social moral gospel of law plus grace. It is man centered in that a person has to stop sinning to be saved. It totally ignores the fact that mankind lives in a sinful body that sins.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
H. Richard said:
The churches today teach a blended social moral gospel of law plus grace.
It is man centered in that a person has to stop sinning to be saved.
It totally ignores the fact that mankind lives in a sinful body that sins.
Gee, I wish you would point me to one of those churches!

I thought I was doin' it because no one else was doin' it.

BTW, the way to stop sinning is to be faithful in repenting.
Free will is involved in both repenting and stopping.
However, stopping is part of repenting, right?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
repenting,
Repenting isnt like begging for forgiveness as how it seems to be taught. it is to "change ones mind". Ie we come into agreement with Jesus. God isnt surprised at what we do, that is why Jesus died for us.Jesus died so we would be free fom "condemnation' free from teh "guilt of sin", but as you can see, so many "guilty" christians running around being "condmened ", by there fallen Nature, trying to perfect them selves, and the devil laughs at us, keeps them in bondage to self.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
Gee, I wish you would point me to one of those churches!

I thought I was doin' it because no one else was doin' it.

BTW, the way to stop sinning is to be faithful in repenting.
Free will is involved in both repenting and stopping.
However, stopping is part of repenting, right?
So you think you keep yourself saved by repenting and stopping sins of the flesh, right?

Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood to pay for mankind's sin but that doesn't have anything to do with salvation now. Jesus died to save everyone but now it is left to the individual to keep him/her self saved.

That means you place your belief, faith, trust, and confidence in you own efforts to keep yourself saved.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
H. Richard said:
So you (Zachary) think you keep yourself saved by repenting and stopping sins of the flesh, right?

Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood to pay for mankind's sin but that doesn't have anything to do
with salvation now. Jesus died to save everyone but now it is left to the individual to keep him/her self saved.

That means you place your belief, faith, trust, and confidence in you own efforts to keep yourself saved.
I see NT Scriptures on both sides ... yes, there are verses such as John 3:16.

I have merely been pointing out the many dozens of NT verses, which are ...
dire warnings about believers LOSING eternal life and believers GAINING eternal life.

Now, re: a few verses where Jesus warns, "If you do such and so, you will not be saved",
I'm thinking this could easily refer to physical salvation ... because in these last days,
believers who are living righteously and who are in a close relationship with Him
will be divinely protected through the storms ahead.
Other believers will NOT be so protected, i.e. their lives will not be saved (protected).

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
I see NT Scriptures on both sides ... yes, there are verses such as John 3:16.

I have merely been pointing out the many dozens of NT verses, which are ...
dire warnings about believers LOSING eternal life and believers GAINING eternal life.

Now, re: a few verses where Jesus warns, "If you do such and so, you will not be saved",
I'm thinking this could easily refer to physical salvation ... because in these last days,
believers who are living righteously and who are in a close relationship with Him
will be divinely protected through the storms ahead.
Other believers will NOT be so protected, i.e. their lives will not be saved (protected).
You still don't understand that when Jesus walked the earth He was a Jew, speaking to Jews and both He and the Jews were under the law of Moses. Everything He said was under the law.

Under grace we are NOT under the Law. The Law was nailed to the cross. The problem in what you believe is that you can not see the difference between law and grace. They can't be mixed (blended together). You can't be under law and under grace at the same time. That is spiritual adultery, being married to grace and fooling around with law.

All those that are placing their belief, faith, trust, and confidence in the promise of God's grace will be saved. They are the believers. Believe in what some will say!! Belief that Jesus' shed blood on the cross has paid for their salvation. Salvation is the work of God and is a free gift. Salvation is believing in that work of God.

The only way to overcome is through faith in the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. For as the scripture stated the shed blood is the power of God unto salvation.

Rom 3:24-25
24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
NKJV

Eph 1:7
7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
NKJV

Eph 2:13
13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
NKJV

Eph 1:6-7
6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
NKJV

Col 1:14
14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
NKJV

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
H. Richard said:
You still don't understand that when Jesus walked the earth He was a Jew, speaking to Jews and both He and the Jews were under the law of Moses. Everything He said was under the law. Under grace we are NOT under the Law. The Law was nailed to the cross. The problem in what you believe is that you can not see the difference between law and grace. They can't be mixed (blended together). You can't be under law and under grace at the same time. That is spiritual adultery, being married to grace and fooling around with law.
The above is ridiculous ...

Jesus often referred back to the Ten Commandments.
Jesus often said those who obey Him belong to Him.
etc.

God's initial grace to those chosen is free indeed,
and this is an incredible miracle!

Then, things continue on (progress forward) ...
where the believer has some responsibilities
as his/her part of the new and better covenant.

God has always demanded man's participation in what
He is doing on earth (except in the creation, etc.).

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
The above is ridiculous ...

Jesus often referred back to the Ten Commandments.
Jesus often said those who obey Him belong to Him.
etc.

God's initial grace to those chosen is free indeed,
and this is an incredible miracle!

Then, things continue on (progress forward) ...
where the believer has some responsibilities
as his/her part of the new and better covenant.

God has always demanded man's participation in what
He is doing on earth (except in the creation, etc.).
To believe as you do makes the power of final salvation in the hands of men. You may think you are keeping the law but no man/woman can keep the Law. In other words you are not set free of your sinful flesh.

You think what Jesus said to those under the law is for us in this age of grace. To you there is no grace because God saves you by debt for your efforts. Therefore if a person's efforts are not great enough that person is on their way to hell.

I sure am glad that I do not have to live under your religion. It never sets anyone free.

You seem to set your theology on what Jesus taught to those under the Law. Why can't you believe what Jesus said?????

Matt 10:5-7 (NKJ)
5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: "Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans.
6 "But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. but you won't believe Him
7 "And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
'
Matt 15:23-24 (NKJ)
23 But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, "Send her away, for she cries out after us."
24 But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." but you won't believe Him

Paul said: Rom 15:8 (NKJ)
8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers: fathers = Jews

You don't believe Jesus, Instead you believe what you want Jesus to say.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Pretty much everything Jesus said applied/applies to all humans!
Pretty much nothing Jesus said caused anyone to be saved while He wuz on earth.
Then the Holy Spirit was sent to indwell true believers ... and salvation began.

Ergo ... Jesus' words (in Bibles) have been used to save Jews and Gentiles alike.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ergo ... Jesus' words (in Bibles) have been used to save Jews and Gentiles alike
Show me one saved by keeping the law, just one,anyone.
We are required to do one thing, which sadly is lacking, being replaced by "works" which count for nothing,

Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

notice the bit

"that not of yourselves"

So little faith in His works.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
Pretty much everything Jesus said applied/applies to all humans!
Pretty much nothing Jesus said caused anyone to be saved while He wuz on earth.
Then the Holy Spirit was sent to indwell true believers ... and salvation began.

Ergo ... Jesus' words (in Bibles) have been used to save Jews and Gentiles alike.
What Jesus taught the Jews is the keeping of the Law of Moses. Jesus never taught a Gentile. Jesus did not come to the Gentiles.

After the Jews rejected Jesus as their Messiah and King Jesus turned to the Gentiles and the whole world with a gospel of Grace that He gave to Paul.

It was Jesus' shed blood on the cross that defeated Satan. Jesus defeated Satan by paying for all the sins of the world. Satan can no longer condemn a person for sins of the flesh.

So how can Satan get his converts? By making people refuse to believe in Jesus' message of grace; By refusing to believe Jesus has made a salvation that is not paid for by the works of man but by HIs work on the cross.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
H. Richard said:
What Jesus taught the Jews is the keeping of the Law of Moses. Jesus never taught a Gentile. Jesus did not come to the Gentiles.
After the Jews rejected Jesus as their Messiah and King Jesus turned to the Gentiles and the whole world with a gospel of Grace that He gave to Paul.
It was Jesus' shed blood on the cross that defeated Satan. Jesus defeated Satan by paying for all the sins of the world. Satan can no longer condemn a person for sins of the flesh.
So how can Satan get his converts? By making people refuse to believe in Jesus' message of grace; By refusing to believe Jesus has made a salvation that is not paid for by the works of man but by HIs work on the cross.
Are you out of your mind?
Jesus came to preach His new and better "gospel of the kingdom" to the Jews!
I.e. how to be saved
I.e. the new covenant
And His precious words were recorded for all people for all time.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
I.e. how to be saved
I.e. the new covenant
With all due respect to H. Richard (and I mean that sincerely) I somewhat agree with Zachary.

At the start of and during Jesus' ministry the Jews were still under the law and the new covenant was starting. Jesus addressed the law and expounded on it, he even endorsed it (as I do, even as a staunce supporter of grace without works). But to say Jesus kept them under the law is like saying Paul was a tent maker. Sure, Jesus taught from the law and Paul made tents. But it is a sidenote compared to the bigger picture.

Jesus taught himself. He taught HE was the way to everlasting life, not the law. He also taught about the importance of truth, love and mercy.

It was indeed a transitioning period. But the verse that tells me that those with Jesus were under grace is John 1:17. Grace and truth came by Jesus, and it is contrasted with the law.

In practice, Jesus was a friend to publicans and sinners. Yet he railed on the pharasees and sadducees who kept more of the law than anyone.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
FHII said:
With all due respect to H. Richard (and I mean that sincerely) ...
You can have all the respect you want for people who insist on teaching false doctrine.

Do you also respect the Pope, who is promulgating Islam over Christianity these days.
Yes, Martha, this may not be on your local news.

Satan is on the rampage, teaching false doctrines everywhere!
Most of the false "doctrines of men" came originally from Satan.
Many true believers have been deceived into believing
many false doctrines over God's word.
Not being OPEN to spiritual Truth, they have been easily deceived.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
mjrhealth said:
Show me one saved by keeping the law, just one,anyone.
We are required to do one thing, which sadly is lacking, being replaced by "works" which count for nothing,

Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

notice the bit

"that not of yourselves"

So little faith in His works.
Paul says in Romans "do we make void the law through faith? God forbid. We establish the law....clear enough to anyone who can read that if you are truly save by God's grace, you would want to keep God's law, the ten commandments and not try and weasel out of keeping them!

Remember Salvation is through the Son of God, God's grace and commandments....

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
I.e. how to be saved
I.e. the new covenant
What do think the ""gospel of the kingdom"" was? It certainly wasn't the gospel of grace as taught by Paul.

The promise to the Jews was that God would send a Messiah and King to rules over Israel and the whole world. God's promise was for a Jewish kingdom. However the Jews rejected Jesus as their King and that meant rejecting the ""Kingdom Gospel"".

The Gentiles were never given a promise of a kingdom on this earth. In some theology it is assumed that the Gentiles just took over the promises made to Israel but the scriptures do not support this.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
H. Richard said:
What do think the ""gospel of the kingdom"" was? It certainly wasn't the gospel of grace as taught by Paul.
You need to understand that Jesus was preaching to spiritual idiots,
while Paul was preaching to born-again believers in da choiches.
Do you see much of a difference here?
Yeah, there was! ... Paul was teaching mucho deeper spiritual Truths.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zachary said:
You need to understand that Jesus was preaching to spiritual idiots,
while Paul was preaching to born-again believers in da choiches.
Do you see much of a difference here?
Yeah, there was! ... Paul was teaching mucho deeper spiritual Truths.
You need to understand that what Jesus preached under the Law of Moses and was to the Jews who were under the Law of Moses. Jesus, after being rejected by the Jews has made salvation a free gift for every one that will believe in it and it is not under law.

Col 2:13-15
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
NKJV