Short hand expressions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We all know that LOL means laugh out loud, but what does BOI or any other shorthand style mean if their in no meta database to refer to on a forum. can a meta database be created to remove confusion for us plebs who have no formal forum cultural experience when it come to IDK or ITB or ITS means when used.

Perhaps it is an addition that the moderators could create to reduce confusion about what others write in their closed closet communities.

Reactions: amadeus

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, "BOI" might really mean "BOL". Just that someone's caps got undone. If so, "BOL" is "Bread of Life". If so, this is a member of this board who goes by that handle (screen name).

So if you see BOL.... its probably just adressing a person on the board.

Reactions: Helen

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I usually don't read posts that contain a lot of short hand expressions. Certain posters that habitually use a lot of short hand, I just ignore all together. We should talk to one another as if we were speaking face to face. One shouldn't need a code book to understand what someone is saying.

Call me old fashion but that's just me.

No disrespect meant...

Reactions: amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I usually don't read posts that contain a lot of short hand expressions. Certain posters that habitually use a lot of short hand, I just ignore all together. We should talk to one another as if we were speaking face to face. One shouldn't need a code book to understand what someone is saying.

Call me old fashion but that's just me.

No disrespect meant...

I agree. Some of them I do know and understand ..via my grandchildren.
But some on the forum miss me...I and I am always hoping I get the gist of it. I do now IMHO is " in my humble opinion." Which is almost a sentence, so I understand the reason for that one.
I know that IOW means " In other words"...but much more than that I have no idea :D

Reactions: Job

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
We all know that LOL means laugh out loud, but what does BOI or any other shorthand style mean if their in no meta database to refer to on a forum. can a meta database be created to remove confusion for us plebs who have no formal forum cultural experience when it come to IDK or ITB or ITS means when used.

Perhaps it is an addition that the moderators could create to reduce confusion about what others write in their closed closet communities.
this used to be an issue, but search has gotten so easy i don't see how it really is now?
8HioJpu.jpg

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
this used to be an issue, but search has gotten so easy i don't see how it really is now?
8HioJpu.jpg

I don't understand...are you just telling us to goole it?

You are the king of shorthand. :)
( the only one who used it more than you was that "Pastor Marty" who was here for a very short time...i could never understand what he was writing..every single word was was shorthand. )

Reactions: pia

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

You are the king of shorthand. :)
( the only one who used it more than you was that "Pastor Marty" who was here for a very short time...i could never understand what he was writing..every single word was was shorthand. )
ha well i guess it would get old if you had to search multiple acronyms in one post. But my point was that it used to be hard to google, one used to have to copy, open another tab, paste, enter, choose a slang dictionary, paste again, whereas all of that is accessible in two clicks now, definition right in the search window, almost without fail now.

So iow search is now likely easier than creating a site DB.

plus, in about like what, one day, of reading someone new? you are going to not need to google any more, right--when is the last time you had to seek an acronym def of mine?

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I used to do that. Now I just ignore them. If someone spoke like that to me in the 3 dimensional world, I would ignore them too.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha well i guess it would get old if you had to search multiple acronyms in one post. But my point was that it used to be hard to google, one used to have to copy, open another tab, paste, enter, choose a slang dictionary, paste again, whereas all of that is accessible in two clicks now, definition right in the search window, almost without fail now.

So iow search is now likely easier than creating a site DB.

plus, in about like what, one day, of reading someone new? you are going to not need to google any more, right--when is the last time you had to seek an acronym def of mine?
I have been on Christian forums for close to 20 years now and was unaware of this. I just tried it and it really is easy. My problem is things on computers keep on changing and I keep on falling behind. I want to learn about the Lord, but I really don't want to have to learn more about computers in order to do so.

Years ago I was typing at work on a manual typewriter and then along cam electric typewriters and then wordprocessor and then and then...LOL
And then "along came Jones". Sorry I had to put that in there.

Now they have these tiny devices that make the skill of a good 10 fingers typists useless as even a person with small hands cannot fit on the keyboard. Huge hands like mine are a hindrance.

But back to acronyms. I have a dictionary of them I learned during my years working for the Social Security Administration which have been virtually useless during my 17 years of retirement. When Social Security gave each of us a computer at our desk I got pretty good at it, but learning skills have slowed down while the speed of computer changes have speeded up.

The good thing about it is I am almost 74. Likely before too long one way or the other I won't have to worry about the computer changes coming too fast anymore.

Nonetheless, thank you [ty] for the information. Hopefully, I will remember how to do it the next time there is a need... or it won't already have been made obsolete by newer better but unknown ways. LOL :):D

Reactions: Helen and pia

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I have been on Christian forums for close to 20 years now and was unaware of this.
ya, it's pretty new--even 3 years ago, site DBs were used, another site i go to still has one
I want to learn about the Lord, but I really don't want to have to learn more about computers in order to do so.
ha ya, i'm pretty much getting dragged along myself!
Nonetheless, thank you [ty] for the information. Hopefully, I will remember how to do it the next time there is a need... or it won't already have been made obsolete by newer better but unknown ways. LOL :):D
ya, like maybe actually interacting with ppl IRL huh, seems to have gone out of fashion. i can't say that i am in love with acronyms either, but online they are simply a reality that one may embrace or ignore.

For me it has been a good lesson in hearing, as i note that i am forced out of my perspective, and forced to pay attn to the listening of another perspective. i get Job's position there, i tried it, but it just came to seem too prideful to me.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ya, it's pretty new--even 3 years ago, site DBs were used, another site i go to still has one
ha ya, i'm pretty much getting dragged along myself!
ya, like maybe actually interacting with ppl IRL huh, seems to have gone out of fashion. i can't say that i am in love with acronyms either, but online they are simply a reality that one may embrace or ignore.

For me it has been a good lesson in hearing, as i note that i am forced out of my perspective, and forced to pay attn to the listening of another perspective. i get Job's position there, i tried it, but it just came to seem too prideful to me.
Yes, I do also have a certain criteria I use without thinking much about it as to whether I even try to read a post or not. In my defense I also try to pray regularly to get God's direction in this so as not to skip over something God wanted me to read. I don't always do that either, but I am still not perfect as God is perfect.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Yes, I do also have a certain criteria I use without thinking much about it as to whether I even try to read a post or not. In my defense I also try to pray regularly to get God's direction in this so as not to skip over something God wanted me to read. I don't always do that either, but I am still not perfect as God is perfect.
boy, i gotta tell ya, i am at sea there most of the time myself. Dunno if i should avoid feeding a troll, or recognize an unfamiliar part of the body, myself, sometimes. Like training oneself to...alter a feedback loop? Recognize how i am contributing to a feedback loop? Something like that. Seeing that the difference between you and a contender is a third thing, that might be evident or might not be. For instance, when the 3rd thing is "a pastor's influence" it is usually pretty obvious because the doctrine being espoused would be really tough to come up with simply by reading with the Spirit's guidance, or it is obviously agenda driven or whatever. In most cases i gotta wonder if i should even stay and read, and at the same time i have to question my motives, like every time.

i mostly try to copy the Catholic Charities ladies there, and treat everyone the same :)
easy to type, hard to do lol