Should a Full-Time Pastor Work?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Many a church leader is of the opinion that a full-time Pastor or any other ministry gift, should not work or engage in any personal business. These include those just starting up a church, with very few members and those who are called to public evangelism.

I have discussed and debated this issue with a few church leaders, called into “full-time” ministry; and most of them argue that someone called to be a full-time gospel minister shouldn’t work…

But after a while, these same leaders, after going through some financial challenges, eventually bend to my position and start doing some business to take care of their families.

While others that hold on strongly to the notion that God doesn’t want them to work at all, eventually end-up engaging in some dishonest practices to take care of themselves and families.

They go about pressurizing their members and other people to give to them. Some use unscriptural tactics to get money from people…

Some others begin to use church funds for personal needs without accountability. Some borrow from church funds in their possession without paying back. Then some escalate project costs to make undue profit. This is just to name but a few.

As a result of these errors by church leaders, we want to find out from scriptures, if a full-time Pastor or any other ministry gift should engage in secular work /business or not.

And if they are to work, how are they to combine it with ministry work and remain effective…?

Who is a Full-Time Pastor or Minister?

The concept, Full-Time and Part-Time Pastor or minister, is actually a human concept. There is no such distinction in scriptures. Every called minister of the gospel is a full-time minister.

Be him an Apostle, Prophet, Pastor, Teacher or Evangelist—they are all Full-Time Ministers. All are supposed to make their ministerial calling number one on their priority. All are to make a full proof of their ministries.

Hence scripturally, everyone called to be a minister of God in any capacity is a Full-Time minister. There was no one referred to in the scriptures as a Full-Time or Part-Time Pastor or minister.

So Should Every Full-Time Minister Work?

A minister of the gospel should primarily feed from the Tithe and offering from the members he ministers to. And also from wilful seeds from members to them. But Tithe and Offering is not only for the minister’s needs.

The church also uses part of the Tithe and Offering for other ministry expenditures; such as: paying of bills, Pastors’ Transfer, Church Renovation, etc. And by the time all these have been handled, what is left for the ministers’ honorarium, many a time, is not enough to really get by with their family needs.

Added to this, is the fact that many members with needs in the church, are apt to run to the Pastor for financial support, of which a conscientious Pastor must have to do something.

And with little or no money left with the Minister, he is bound to fall into diverse temptations. Especially if he already has a wife and children…

In short, many Full-Time ministers of the gospel actually have serious marital and family crisis; and sometime, even marital break-up; majorly for financial reasons.

And this is the reason I believe the Apostle Paul worked as a tent-maker where ever he found himself. And even sometimes, farmed; then he admonished us to work as well (See Acts 18:1-3; Acts 20:33-35).

For instance, I am called into Full-Time teaching ministry. And I was led into the city I currently reside by God to start up a church for my ministry. And by God’s grace, since we came to this city, the ministry has been growing from strength to strength.

Even though, when we first came to the city, it was very challenging financially. But barely some months-- less than a year-- everything normalized and even got better than we lived, before we came here…

Because while we were about moving to this town, God told me in my heart, that he was going to increase me. And of course, I knew the increase the Lord meant was not only financial, but also spiritual and otherwise.

And since we came here, that has been the case. We have been increasing spiritually, ministerially and financially on daily basis…

But I do work. Coupled with my ministerial work, I am also into freelance Software/Web Development and Internet Marketing Consulting. God has been (and still) supplying for my family through these trades and my wife’s job.

And as such, I am able to care for my family (a wife and a child), then I am also able to help those in need as the Lord leads. And most importantly, I don’t get to pressure anyone into giving to me.

The ones that do give do so willingly; and I even sometimes reject some of the gifts when I don’t deem them fit.

Hence, my counsel is that, a Full-Time Pastor that is just starting a church or ministry, with little member base, should use his spare time to work, instead of sleeping and moving about.

Then for those with large congregation already, they can invest their personal money into business (or businesses) and delegate people to manage the business. Then their only responsibility should be overseeing. This is never a sin.

This will enable the minister, carry out his ministry with more integrity and dignity.

I once read the book of a popular man of God with one of the largest church congregation in the world. And somewhere in the book, he mentioned that he is the C.E.O of four companies.

And yet he is still very effective in ministry. God still uses him mightily in word and manifestation of his power.

Hence, from scriptural authority, a full-time Pastor or minister should work to take care of his needs and that of his family and others effectively-- even if he receives honorarium. But he must ensure his secular work does not deter or encroach into his ministerial work.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili

Reactions: Hidden In Him

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, interesting subject. and glad you have a job to support your family.

saying that, what is you view of a full time pastor, (beside the number of members)?.

now before you answer, the view I'm asking about is, duties as,

A. a biblical pastor duties, or

B. an ecclesiastical pastor duties.

PCY

Reactions: Willie T

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Cor 2:17 (NIV)
Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

I would think a preacher that did not earn their living preaching, i.e., peddling the Word of God, would be more scriptural than one that did. When Paul needed money, he made tents.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Cor 2:17 (NIV)
Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

I would think a preacher that did not earn their living preaching, i.e., peddling the Word of God, would be more scriptural than one that did. When Paul needed money, he made tents.
that is true in what you said,. he also said, 2 Thessalonians 3:7 "For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

2 Thessalonians 3:8 "Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:

2 Thessalonians 3:9 "Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

2 Thessalonians 3:11 "For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.

2 Thessalonians 3:12 "Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

but also he said, 1 Corinthians 9:9 "For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?".

1 Corinthians 9:15 "But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void

.1 Corinthians 9:16 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

1 Corinthians 9:17 "For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

1 Corinthians 9:18 "What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:19 "For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

The key here as well as in 2Cor 2:17 is not to abuse this power. be ye a hireling or not

listen, John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:12 "But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

John 10:13 "The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

do the hireling get paid?
Malachi 3:5 "And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts".

I guess the wolves haven't see that scripture, for if they did they would be howling it.

but it seems the hireling is paid. but I say the Good shepherd is here now, in the woman or man of God, by free will.

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is true in what you said,. he also said, 2 Thessalonians 3:7 "For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

2 Thessalonians 3:8 "Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:

2 Thessalonians 3:9 "Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

2 Thessalonians 3:11 "For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.

2 Thessalonians 3:12 "Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

but also he said, 1 Corinthians 9:9 "For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?".

1 Corinthians 9:15 "But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void

.1 Corinthians 9:16 "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

1 Corinthians 9:17 "For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

1 Corinthians 9:18 "What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:19 "For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

The key here as well as in 2Cor 2:17 is not to abuse this power. be ye a hireling or not

listen, John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:12 "But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

John 10:13 "The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

do the hireling get paid?
Malachi 3:5 "And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts".

I guess the wolves haven't see that scripture, for if they did they would be howling it.

but it seems the hireling is paid. but I say the Good shepherd is here now, in the woman or man of God, by free will.

The group most responsible for the lack of true scriptural knowledge among Christians are the Denominational Churches, especially those in the mainstream denominations. The reason is that NONE of them obey Tim 2:15 and rightly divide God's Word. I know of no exceptions to this. It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to understand more than about 50% of the New Testament without Rightly Dividing. There are a lot of Acts 2 Dispensational Baptists that sort of divide, but not rightly.

The problem is that the preachers earning a living preaching are the ones ruining Christianity with their lack of right division, know-nothing teaching. And the very very worst are those Charismatic preachers, like Benny Hinn, Duplantis, and Copeland, that preach magic and make millions doing it. Since their magic is based on non-existent Gifts, the magic almost has to be of the black variety. They'll pay, some day.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hence, from scriptural authority, a full-time Pastor or minister should work to take care of his needs and that of his family and others effectively... But he must ensure his secular work does not deter or encroach into his ministerial work.

Greetings, brother Emekrus!

Very well-written and thought out post, and I agree with nearly everything you teach here.

But let me interject a few thoughts I feel you may have left out. I believe there are instances when a minister of God can and should be supported, such as when he reaches the age where he is no longer able to do much physical work for instance, or if God specifically calls him not to work (since Paul was following a pattern other apostles were clearly not. See 1 Corinthians 9:1-6). But I believe in such cases that minister should simply have all things common with the rest of the brethren, and not be raised up to a higher standard of living than anyone else (Acts 2:44). But the problem in many instances like here in the States is that church salaries become highly exorbitant (ranging upwards of $100,000 annually and then beyond), and suddenly these positions of power in the church become coveted after by people given more over to a spirit of Greed than to the Lord. I am seeing this happening in a church right now as a matter of fact, and it stands poised to destroy this church and cause great spiritual harm to many - hundreds, if not thousands - if something isn't done to stop it.

I also hold to the practice that what is done with the money that comes in - every penny of it - should be posted publicly for the congregation to see, so that everything is above table, and any suspicions can be laid to rest.

What do you think of that practice? (if I may ask).

Blessing in Christ Jesus!

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Very well-written and thought out post, and I agree with nearly everything you teach here.

But let me interject a few thoughts I feel you may have left out. I believe there are instances when a minister of God can and should be supported, such as when he reaches the age where he is no longer able to do much physical work for instance, or if God specifically calls him not to work (since Paul was following a pattern other apostles were clearly not. See 1 Corinthians 9:1-6). But I believe in such cases that minister should simply have all things common with the rest of the brethren, and not be raised up to a higher standard of living than anyone else (Acts 2:44). But the problem in many instances like here in the States is that church salaries become highly exorbitant (ranging upwards of $100,000 annually and then beyond), and suddenly these positions of power in the church become coveted after by people given more over to a spirit of Greed than to the Lord. I am seeing this happening in a church right now as a matter of fact, and it stands poised to destroy this church and cause great spiritual harm to many - hundreds, if not thousands - if something isn't done to stop it.

I also hold to the practice that what is done with the money that comes in - every penny of it - should be posted publicly for the congregation to see, so that everything is above table, and any suspicions can be laid to rest.

Good points, also may I add this. a pastor, or any person in the body of Christ being Christian should have the interest of all in mind. the first congregation in Acts had it right. listen, Acts 4:32 "And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common".

but as soon as lust for money... Acts 5:1 "But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
Acts 5:2 "And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet". and ...... favoritism creep in, Acts 6:1 "And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.
Acts 6:2 "Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables".

here we have the two most worst enemies of a good congregation, LUST and GREED.

in the beginning everyone had everything in common. but it started when ones held back. THE LOVE OF MONEY, yes the root of all evil. not the money itself, but the LOVE of it. this root started with Ananias, and Sapphira, his wife. the start of the root of all evil. and they paid the price for it.

then Prejudice crept in. Prejudice, preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual. the Grecians was not JEWISH enough?. favoritism, and I see in the body today. again God delt with that also. he put the leadership in check by the body. God put many Grecians in charge, "he's no respecter of Person. God wiped out the favoritism, Acts 6:5 "And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch". ... (smile).

what are we saying?. the same problems in the church then is here now in the church. be ye it on a large scale or small, but it's here. and it's a cancer in the body.

and the Lord is weeding them out one by one. many leaders are falling in the pulpits, I mean actually dropping dead. or exposed. and it starts in leadership, as well as in the followers. blame is from both ends.

PCY.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and the Lord is weeding them out one by one. many leaders are falling in the pulpits, I mean actually dropping dead. or exposed. and it starts in leadership, as well as in the followers. blame is from both ends.

This last part is especially perceptive. Judgments have started with the household of God, haven't they. And the rise of the prophetic ministry in particular may speed things up as well.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria

Thanks for the compliments brother,
Well, the Bible is in total harmony with members sowing material or financial seeds to the minister that ministers spiritual things. And I did mention that that's one of the primary ways a full-time minister should earn his living. So am in full support of members sowing to pastors.

Concerning the pastor that is too old to do any secular work, of course, the Church should support him. But you know, the problem with supporting-- it is a free will thing. We are not to force anyone to give. For the old Pastor, if he already has some investments during his youthful days of ministry he can leave off them.

Then for the second part, of God specifically calling someone not work, I am yet to see that scriptural prototype. And as a matter of fact, some ministers who said God told them not to work, overtime, I see them end up working. I wouldn't know if God later changed his mind concerning them. While some of them that say so, actually have a veritable source of income. For instance, someone I know who told me God told him not to work, actually has fish ponds in a big city where people rent and he earns income.

Then for some, their wives are gainfully employed and are able to support their family. Others who try to follow their foot steps (with no source of income) and decide not to work like them, eventually face a lots of hardship that consequently lead them into some erroneous practices to raise money for their upkeep.

Many of these men of God that say God doesn't want them to work, actually assume so. God may not want a minister to continue with the present work or business he is doing for a reason. And that does not automatically translate to God not allowing them to do any other business.

Then for others, they believe God doesn't want them to work just because they tried several business adventures and failed.
Most of them try to follow the foot steps of other senior men of God who said God called them into full-time ministry, and they didn't have to work. But yet, if you trace the history of these men of God, they actually had a source of income (Such as well-paid, working wives). And even presently, they also have several investments and businesses.

Then for the last part of your question, I am in support of financial accountability and probity. But it is not wise to relate such accounts to the entire Church members. Rather, the account can be related to the Church board of leaders. Such as Pastors, Deacons and Deaconesses.

That's my take.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
GINOLJC, interesting subject. and glad you have a job to support your family.

saying that, what is you view of a full time pastor, (beside the number of members)?.

now before you answer, the view I'm asking about is, duties as,

A. a biblical pastor duties, or

B. an ecclesiastical pastor duties.

PCY

Well, the duties of the Pastor is to preach and teach the word of God. He is to lead and administer the Church. He is to pray for the members . Then he is to do the work of an evangelist.

Well, that's my view of full-time Pastor.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then for the second part, of God specifically calling someone not work, I am yet to see that scriptural prototype. And as a matter of fact, some ministers who said God told them not to work, overtime, I see them end up working... Others who try to follow their foot steps (with no source of income) and decide not to work like them, eventually face a lots of hardship that consequently lead them into some erroneous practices to raise money for their upkeep.

This is because you're in Nigeria, LoL. Come to the States and you'll see in action, continually... or do you mean successfully, like in a proper way.
Many of these men of God that say God doesn't want them to work, actually assume so. God may not want a minister to continue with the present work or business he is doing for a reason. And that does not automatically translate to God not allowing them to do any other business.

I agree.
Then for others, they believe God doesn't want them to work just because they tried several business adventures and failed.

Yes, and this is yet another temptation that shouldn't be there. I see this with some people here. They want to branch off and start their own church, but the motive is only partly to serve God. Secretly they want to mooch off His people without having to work for a living anymore.
Most of them try to follow the foot steps of other senior men of God who said God called them into full-time ministry, and they didn't have to work. But yet, if you trace the history of these men of God, they actually had a source of income (Such as well-paid, working wives). And even presently, they also have several investments and businesses.

Good points.
Then for the last part of your question, I am in support of financial accountability and probity. But it is not wise to relate such accounts to the entire Church members. Rather, the account can be related to the Church board of leaders. Such as Pastors, Deacons and Deaconesses.

That's my take.

Quite alright. We disagree there, but out of curiosity why do you think it is unwise to let everyone know?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many of you would rather drop $4 or $5 in the basket, weekly, in order to have a pastor well-versed in what he was preaching, and who was available to all congregants 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.... than to find out on Sunday that his company had him working out of state for two weeks... or to get his answering machine whenever you tried to reach him?

(I upped it to $5 a week because you might have a small congregation.)

Last edited:
Reactions: lforrest

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"We want our preacher to open the church during a hurricane."...…. "Oh, he can't?" Why not?"

Because he works for the Power Company and is on duty, staying at the company bunkhouse until the hurricane is over...…… Or because he is a fireman or a hospital worker, caught in the same situation.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
A part time pastor is one who works 20hrs a week and a full time pastor is someone who works at least 40 for the church. A smaller church doesn't need a full time pastor.

Paul's case was different, he traveled to different Churches and didn't want to appear to be a freeloader for the sake of his message.

The best kind of side work for a pastor is one they can put down at any time to tend to the needs of the congregation.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean, "The preacher can't come to the hospital to be with my child who was just crushed in a car accident... because he doesn't get off work until 5:00?"

(Let him try to handle three emergencies like that a week, and see how soon he gets fired from his job that some here insist he hold.)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"What do you mean the preacher is going to Disney World with his family on Saturday, his only day off?" "I want him to marry us that day!"

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean, "The preacher can't come to the hospital to be with my child who was just crushed in a car accident... because he doesn't get off work until 5:00?"

(Let him try to handle three emergencies like that a week, and see how soon he gets fired from his job that some here insist he hold.)

LoL. It would appear we touched a nerve...

Willie, I can't speak for the OP, but for me I think there is far too much reliance upon the Pastor in modern Christianity anyway, and I don't think this was ever intended by God nor a part of the way original Christianity was designed to operate. I could show you numerous passages where dependence was actually not only on the five-fold ministry but actually on the entire congregation to operate in the things of the Spirit where ministry was concerned.
How many of you would rather drop $4 or $5 in the basket, weekly, in order to have a pastor well-versed in what he was preaching, and who was available to all congregants 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.... than to find out on Sunday that his company had him working out of state for two weeks... or to get his answering machine whenever you tried to reach him?

(I upped it to $5 a week because you might have a small congregation.)

This goes to point. I could also show you where dependence during NT times was specifically on the Holy Spirit as their Teacher, not men. But I'm not saying it to be divisive so much as potentially helpful. One of the byproducts of that philosophy of pastoral ministry is burn out, and personally I don't blame them. But they mistakenly entertain the notion of everyone supposing to be dependent upon them, and then wonder why eventually they can't handle the load at some point, when it was never in God's will to begin with.

Just responding since you seemed to take issue with the position I was taking, as well as that of the OP.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I do take exception with congregations who are every bit as expectant of a man as he might be presumptuous of his own perceived importance.... yet they are (may be) unwilling to get up off their $ to support someone they want to be as accessible as a hired and adequately-compensated employee.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I do take exception with congregations who are every bit as expectant of a man as he might be presumptuous of his own perceived importance.... yet they are (may be) unwilling to get up off their $ to support someone they want to be as accessible as a hired and adequately compensated employee.

Well, yes. If the genuine call of God is for them to be supported, a congregation needs to respond. I doubt the OP would agree, but I do hold out the possibility for some to be supported fully in ministry when necessary. I just see that it most cases the problem is far greater on the opposite side of the spectrum, in this country anyway.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Should they work?"

Paul did, he was a tent maker.
When the disciples were out ministering they were fishermen.

If a minister feels that he is called by God, and yet feels not to work for his own bread and butter...then I am a believer in " the proof is in the pudding"..

If he is truly called, then God will provide...he doesn't have to keep begging for offering.
If his needs are not met , then I would not believe that he was called of God ( and also called not to work)
If God calls, God will supply.

I've known both in my life, many of them.
Back in the 60's our first pastor never took one penny.
If he needed a new suit he would "pray it in".
He had so many wonderful stories to tell of God's goodness as a Father.

We ONLY heard these stories when he received answers to prayer . And 'wore the suit' or whatever request he has asked of God.
That is the faith that we, when young, cut our teeth on.

On the other side of the coin, I have known and know many who do not feel to work...but they constantly fish for money..always asking " to support the ministry" :rolleyes:
The preach at most twice a week. "Study" some mornings. Visit a few people and drink coffee...and rake in a working man's wage and then some!!
When my husband was still in ministry, he preached Sunday am, Sunday pm. Tuesday evenings, Thursday evenings. We had the youth at our house Friday evenings...and he had his own construction company ( of two of them :) ) God always gave him the word to preach for each meeting, and he never used notes.

Shame on them which milk the flock for their own interests.

Reactions: emekrus and Ac28