Should Christians not participate in Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
October is here again and all the children are going to dress up and come for candy. How do others handle Halloween? Is it an evil holiday or harmless fun for children?

I Guess it depends on which side of the Wall you Abode in!

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's a curse !

We in Australia never had this rubbish but in the last few years it has really taken off, big money in it all for retail so this empowers such, as to Children it's a disgrace to be peddling such rubbish and this rubbish only helps attract some to Satanic dribble I am sure. it's a door way to Satan.

I get some Holy Water and toss that on them and say be gone Satan ! don't tolerate them at all.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't celebrate Halloween and don't encourage others to. Analyze what's going on here:

1. It is glorifying evil, horror and terror.
2. People are dressing up as something they are not.
3. A whole bunch of gluttony and debatchery go on. Yea, normally covered by gràce... But what of it all is giving glory to God? We have liberty, but do we have liberty to celebrate a day that glorifies evil?
4. Trick or treat... Sounds like extortion to me!
5. If a prostitute comes to your door and says, "trick or treat", what do you chose? (That's a joke).

It's a pointless holiday that has nothing in it's culture about God. Neither does the 4th of July, but at least that's a holiday that doesn't glorify evil and has no false religious doctrine attached to it.

It is a shame many Christians can't see the same kinds of opportunities that Jesus saw in the cultural things around Him.

Ok Willie.. so will you take a goat's skull covered in blood from a sacrificed virgin and invite the kiddies to gather around it while you tell them about Jesus?

I know that's not what you are suggesting, but let's face it... There is nothing about this holiday that is good and yes, it is glorifying evil. Even if it's watered down to "cute" goblins and ghosts.

I would rather use good things to draw kiddies to God. Not evil things. How exactly are you going to teach about God through a jackolatern?

They just want the candy... They aren't buying the spin.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
October is here again and all the children are going to dress up and come for candy. How do others handle Halloween? Is it an evil holiday or harmless fun for children?

It depends which country you live in. Halloween in America is a different thing to Halloween in the UK.

Living in the UK, where there was NO Halloween when I was a child (it started to come in during the 80s), I regard it as an American import with nothing to recommend it. Elderly people dread it. We don't participate, and the churches organise alternative activities for the children of Christian families.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Willie T's church has the right idea. To be involved in youth ministries and to hold an exciting celebration that takes children away from thesuperficalness of halowen while also teaching them about the reality that is Jesus.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie T's church has the right idea. To be involved in youth ministries and to hold an exciting celebration that takes children away from thesuperficalness of halowen while also teaching them about the reality that is Jesus.
You are one of the rare ones who get it. I think I can see Jesus smiling.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is one of the best times our church uses for teaching the neighborhood children about Christ. Our entire campus is a beacon that draws kids from blocks away.
bingo problem with halloween is the idiots who want to harm kids. i say let them have fun stay with houses you know go to local stores.. but yes its a perfect time for the church .in the country bonfire hot dog roast marshmallows and hay rides .good chilli lots of fun games. i realize some churches in the city cant do the bonfire hot dog roast marshmallows and hay rides .do fun and games what ever it takes .halloween is only evil if you allow it

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't celebrate Halloween and don't encourage others to. Analyze what's going on here:

1. It is glorifying evil, horror and terror.
2. People are dressing up as something they are not.
3. A whole bunch of gluttony and debatchery go on. Yea, normally covered by gràce... But what of it all is giving glory to God? We have liberty, but do we have liberty to celebrate a day that glorifies evil?
4. Trick or treat... Sounds like extortion to me!
5. If a prostitute comes to your door and says, "trick or treat", what do you chose? (That's a joke).

It's a pointless holiday that has nothing in it's culture about God. Neither does the 4th of July, but at least that's a holiday that doesn't glorify evil and has no false religious doctrine attached to it.

Ok Willie.. so will you take a goat's skull covered in blood from a sacrificed virgin and invite the kiddies to gather around it while you tell them about Jesus?

I know that's not what you are suggesting, but let's face it... There is nothing about this holiday that is good and yes, it is glorifying evil. Even if it's watered down to "cute" goblins and ghosts.

I would rather use good things to draw kiddies to God. Not evil things. How exactly are you going to teach about God through a jackolatern?

They just want the candy... They aren't buying the spin.
m.r negative gluttony ????? that could be christmas and thanksgiving its not a holiday its just a date yes as kid i soaped windows toilet papered trees . what did joseph say to his brothers... what you meant for evil God meant for good.. its just a date .wow i bet you like the grinch lol

Reactions: Stan B and Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a lot like the way we treat the rest of what Satan wants. We can whimper about how bad it is, roll over and hand it to him… or we can stand up as Jesus told us to do as Christians, and take the day back for our Lord. (After all, He made ALL days, and called them, GOOD.) Today's church has already bowed far too much to "Defeatism" !!!!!

Reactions: Stan B

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard both sides from Christians throughout the years and personally I don't like it. If you pay attention you'll see that something evil always happens on Halloween. I watched Dateline for years and noticed it. So I think it really is an evil holiday. The problem is that it's so sensationalized that it's hard to keep kids from wanting to participate. Has anyone had that problem? It's almost as if you're pushed into participating. All your neighbors put decorations out and youth see everyone else gearing up for it, so it's hard to keep your family from participating.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard both sides from Christians throughout the years and personally I don't like it. If you pay attention you'll see that something evil always happens on Halloween. I watched Dateline for years and noticed it. So I think it really is an evil holiday. The problem is that it's so sensationalized that it's hard to keep kids from wanting to participate. Has anyone had that problem? It's almost as if you're pushed into participating. All your neighbors put decorations out and youth see everyone else gearing up for it, so it's hard to keep your family from participating.
Our kids WANT to come to the church celebration where all their friends are going to be. I guess it kind of depends upon what they see their parents living for. Besides, what we offer is far more fun and exciting than just walking around a neighborhood with a bag. And it didn't just happen. We work hard at it, and spend some money making sure it is top-notch.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evil happens everyday regardless of halloween imo e give the devil t much credit. i am not a fan of the haunted houses do fun things with kids let them grow up. heck i dont even have a problem with santa ..i have more of a problem commercializing christmas

Reactions: Willie T

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evil happens everyday regardless of halloween imo e give the devil t much credit. i am not a fan of the haunted houses do fun things with kids let them grow up. heck i dont even have a problem with santa ..i have more of a problem commercializing christmas

So you think kids should be able to participate in Halloween?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've let Satan steal Prayer from schools, the respect for our country, the sacredness of real marriage, even the Rainbow and the word "Gay".... just to name a few things. How much more are we content to let him say we have to forfeit?