Should Christians play video games?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anyone like video games? I am into the retro stuff like SNES and Playstation portable (PSP). I haven't got any favorites yet on the SNES but on the PSP I love the Grand Theft Auto Vice City and Liberty Stories though I don't play as meant I just get on a motorcycle and zoom around :)
Games hey!....and the people sat down to eat and drink and rose to play....Exodus 32:6

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. 1 Cor. 10:7

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is it a sin to go on mass-killing sprees in GTA?

For that matter, is it a sin for a child to play with army men who then "kill" other army men?
If you guys were aware of how childish and how opposed to the Gospel principle these activities are your shame would cause you to to repent in dust and ashes but seeing you are unaware and from my perspective choose this unawareness deliberately, the implications are not seen and the path of blindness which enshrouds you remains.

Reactions: Brakelite and Nancy

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you guys were aware of how childish and how opposed to the Gospel principle these activities are your shame would cause you to to repent in dust and ashes but seeing you are unaware and from my perspective choose this unawareness deliberately, the implications are not seen and the path of blindness which enshrouds you remains.

Well, that's why I asked the question, oh wise one.

What sin is being committed by playing such games?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, that's why I asked the question, oh wise one.

What sin is being committed by playing such games?
your question reveals that you do not see it and cannot see it even if it was pointed out point blank....in fact your condescending reply indicates arrogance which becomes the wall disabling vision.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
your question reveals that you do not see it and cannot see it even if it was pointed out point blank....in fact your condescending reply indicates arrogance which becomes the wall disabling vision.

Ok. So you're only purpose is to attack and condemn and are unwilling to engage in honest and sincere discussion. Welcome to my "ignore" list and good riddance!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ok. So you're only purpose is to attack and condemn and are unwilling to engage in honest and sincere discussion. Welcome to my "ignore" list and good riddance!
hmmmmm....I see....disable humility and reinforce pride by getting rid of the one who points out your sin. This is no new precedent. I am sad for you K9Buck

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I kill computer pixels, how sinful is that? But you kill animals unless you're a vegetarian. Which I also eat meat. But why don't you take the argument where it really matters. Not in vain judgments.

Reactions: historyb and K9Buck

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I kill computer pixels, how sinful is that? But you kill animals unless you're a vegetarian. Which I also eat meat. But why don't you take the argument where it really matters. Not in vain judgments.

Correct, computer pixels. With that said, can you envision Jesus playing GTA and engaging in a shooting spree, as I have done countless times?

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct, computer pixels. With that said, can you envision Jesus playing GTA and engaging in a shooting spree, as I have done countless times?

Yes I can, in fact some even believe that everything was played out by God ahead of time, in a "virtual creation sense". So that he watched all of history unfold, but it hadn't happened yet. So when he created the Universe, there were many earthquakes that he killed people with, and many other natural disasters, and in all that many survived and it was good. And he played the game ahead of time. But in the real sense He can resurrect people and fix things he broke.

So while I don't think Jesus plays GTA, I think he did play some sort of creation virtual reality.

Reactions: historyb

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are dealing with a mindset not computer pixels. It is the battle for the mind that is being fought for. To whom we hold allegiance is manifest by the things which capture and hold our interest in real terms, not those of ideology.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You envision a Jesus of your own creation, not the one revealed in scripture.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are dealing with a mindset not computer pixels. It is the battle for the mind that is being fought for. To whom we hold allegiance is manifest by the things which capture and hold our interest in real terms, not those of ideology.
I can play games and not be effected by it, I can watch movies and not be effected by it, but not everyone can say that. So I think if you're one of those people that is effected by it, then sure, don't play video games or watch movies. Especially if it's changing your mindset. But not everyone is open to suggestion or impressionable. It's like hypnosis, which only works on those that are open to suggestion, right?

In the famous words of Yoda, "impressionable, some are".

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I can play games and not be effected by it, I can watch movies and not be effected by it, but not everyone can say that. So I think if you're one of those people that is effected by it, then sure, don't play video games or watch movies. Especially if it's changing your mindset. But not everyone is open to suggestion or impressionable. It's like hypnosis, which only works on those that are open to suggestion, right?
Concluding that you are not affected is exactly where the Devil want you to be. To justify the nature of those games testifies to being caught in his net and not know it.

Reactions: teamventure

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concluding that you are not affected is exactly where the Devil want you to be. To justify the nature of those games testifies to being caught in his net and not know it.
I would think the devil wants me to be impressionable so when he tempts me I'm affected.

But honestly, what evil is this devil you speak of doing?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would think the devil wants me to be impressionable so when he tempts me I'm affected.

But honestly, what evil is this devil you speak of doing?
We are programmed and program ourselves by what we allow into out minds....our reality. Slaughter and War; in short, destruction is what Satan wants us preoccupied with willingly. He knows the process of desensitising results in thinking you're not affected and spills over into the relationship with ourselves, with others and the world around us.

Compassion becomes a word in the dictionary but our emotions are stunted and blunted......our perception of spiritual things settles for lip service and a knowledge of the immense gift of Jesus and its value, a toy to throw around in theological debate.

You are no match for Satan and his schemes and by willingly putting yourself onto and into his territory (which is what you are doing) you progressively forfeit God's protection. If you doubt this look at the history of the Hebrews.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are programmed and program ourselves by what we allow into out minds....our reality. Slaughter and War; in short, destruction is what Satan wants us preoccupied with willingly. He knows the process of desensitising results in thinking you're not affected and spills over into the relationship with ourselves, with others and the world around us.

Compassion becomes a word in the dictionary but our emotions are stunted and blunted......our perception of spiritual things settles for lip service and a knowledge of the immense gift of Jesus and its value, a toy to throw around in theological debate.

You are no match for Satan and his schemes and by willingly putting yourself onto and into his territory (which is what you are doing) you progressively forfeit God's protection. If you doubt this look at the history of the Hebrews.

I think if we're in the world but not of the world we will experience the witness of evil works quite often, I'm not going to shy from the news because you think I'm impressionable. And Jurors must witness evil acts, judges also, attorneys the same. With your thinking they should all hide in their homes and shy away from anything that looks evil.

But what you're preaching is not the gospel of Christ. Which is to enter into the world of evil and present Christ's gospel, suffering the witness of evil works and remaining strong in Christ. Not being impressionable, but being thick skinned against evil. Remaining good.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@quietthinker Why are you so against other Christians playing computer games? It is simply a pastime, a hobby. These members are free to do what they want to do in their spare time.

What are your hobbies?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@quietthinker Why are you so against other Christians playing computer games? It is simply a pastime, a hobby. These members are free to do what they want to do in their spare time.

What are your hobbies?
Josh....games which embody principles of destruction are from below and program us for base thoughts and actions.
What we ingest is what we become in spite of many thinking otherwise.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things arehonest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

My interests are motorcycling in the country......adventures in nature....sailing across oceans visiting other lands......sharing the good news with all who have ears to hear.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My interests are motorcycling in the country......adventures in nature....sailing across oceans visiting other lands......sharing the good news with all who have ears to hear.

Well that's good and sounds like fun, but not everyone is that outdoorsy type of person you know.