Should Christians run for public office?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was reading the news this morning and read where Muslims are running for office in several states. The journalist asked where the Christians were at. I wondered that myself. There are multiple Christian colleges churning out students, so why aren't any running for office? Are too many just sitting back accepting that the end is imminent, or should we endeavor to make the most of what's left? Our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren are going to live here. Have you ever considered running for office - then why don't you? There's never a better time than now.

Muslims Emboldened: List Of Islamists Looking To "Represent" You in 2020

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

One problem I see is the all volunteer military that Muslims might take over. With a military draft, diversity among recruits breaks up the chances for this happening. But from a Christian perspective, it is good to allow conscientious objectors to perform alternative service.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The journalist asked where the Christians were
Being so heavenly minded that they were of no earthly use ;)

Sereiously start praying at church pray mtgs about political issues and for known Christian politians regardless of there party.
Challenge your minister to be politically aware. In his defence what ever he says there will be a party accusing him of supporting a rival party.

Write to your local Christian college to enquire about the political elements in there courses and how do they encourage/train Christians to be of earthly use when they leave.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe Christians should, but I understand the desire to do good, so I wouldn't hold it against them on that alone.

The reasons for me personally are:
1) The book of Revelation tells us how the end times will be. No matter what good a Christian serving in a government administration does, the whole world will be subjected to the Beast/Anti-Christ. This is God-the-Father's will; it is ultimately pointless. Perhaps I'd feel differently if the future were not foretold.
2) John 18:36 "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." Jesus said this while being interrogated by Pilate. While I understand the context of what He was saying, I've always extrapolated "if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight" to mean not just in that instance, but in how to view this world in daily life - meaning not to help/protect this world. We're to "proclaim the gospel" and "keep looking up", not try to change this world, in my opinion.

The only lasting effect we can have to help Jesus, is by helping to bring unbelievers to Him. Any laws of this world, short or long term, will fade or end, as it is written in the end times (except laws that mirror God-the-Father's obviously).

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said elsewhere, Dispensationalists are just Defeatists. They don't believe Jesus when He said that the Devil has already been beaten.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One problem I see is the all volunteer military that Muslims might take over. With a military draft, diversity among recruits breaks up the chances for this happening. But from a Christian perspective, it is good to allow conscientious objectors to perform alternative service.
Are a lot volunteering in large numbers for the military?

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being so heavenly minded that they were of no earthly use ;)

Sereiously start praying at church pray mtgs about political issues and for known Christian politians regardless of there party.
Challenge your minister to be politically aware. In his defence what ever he says there will be a party accusing him of supporting a rival party.

Write to your local Christian college to enquire about the political elements in there courses and how do they encourage/train Christians to be of earthly use when they leave.
Never heard that saying but it's a good one.

I will bring it up at our bible study. We're mostly older people but there is one young person. Any one of those people at our bible study are quality people, who would make great representatives. They are all over the country. So why are non-Christians always getting into influential positions? We need to ask ourselves that I think.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was reading the news this morning and read where Muslims are running for office in several states. The journalist asked where the Christians were at. I wondered that myself. There are multiple Christian colleges churning out students, so why aren't any running for office? Are too many just sitting back accepting that the end is imminent, or should we endeavor to make the most of what's left? Our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren are going to live here. Have you ever considered running for office - then why don't you? There's never a better time than now.

Christians actually are vastly over represented in public office.

For me: when looking to vote for a politician, my interest is the stance a person has on political issues, not religious ones. I happily live in a country that from it's foundations has been about freedom of religion, and how religion is not a requirement for office, and I proudly hold to that same stance.

Reactions: Nancy

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe Christians should, but I understand the desire to do good, so I wouldn't hold it against them on that alone.

The reasons for me personally are:
1) The book of Revelation tells us how the end times will be. No matter what good a Christian serving in a government administration does, the whole world will be subjected to the Beast/Anti-Christ. This is God-the-Father's will; it is ultimately pointless. Perhaps I'd feel differently if the future were not foretold.
2) John 18:36 "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." Jesus said this while being interrogated by Pilate. While I understand the context of what He was saying, I've always extrapolated "if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight" to mean not just in that instance, but in how to view this world in daily life - meaning not to help/protect this world. We're to "proclaim the gospel" and "keep looking up", not try to change this world, in my opinion.

The only lasting effect we can have to help Jesus, is by helping to bring unbelievers to Him. Any laws of this world, short or long term, will fade or end, as it is written in the end times (except laws that mirror God-the-Father's obviously).
Very good reasoning - probably the best way to influence the world for good is to bring others to Christ. I began evangelizing again and am going to continue - that's been my ministry for years. I think that we should still try to exert whatever positive influence we can on the world until God does end it. I have a hard time having ungodly people in power over us. It just seems so wrong. It wasn't like that when I was younger - I trusted our local officials in my hometown. It's only been within my lifetime that things have become so destabilized. I really miss the solid era that I grew up in. My children never knew it and it's going to be even worse for the next generations. It hurts that they'll never know how good things can be - they won't have anything to compare it to. When I was a kid I ran around the neighborhood and my mother never watched me. I was never able to do that. All the craziness churned up just in my generation.

Last edited:

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I said elsewhere, Dispensationalists are just Defeatists. They don't believe Jesus when He said that the Devil has already been beaten.
I know a lot of the bible but don't know about Dispensationalism - but I don't believe in defeatism.

Reactions: Willie T

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For me: when looking to vote for a politician, my interest is the stance a person has on political issues, not religious ones. I happily live in a country that from it's foundations has been about freedom of religion, and how religion is not a requirement for office, and I proudly hold to that same stance.
We don't have any that I know of in my state and looking at who is in Congress & Senate - there are no names that come to mind as being Christian. Maybe it's just in areas where there are concentrations of Christians. I think I'll found my own town and only have Christians go there until Christ ends it:) I was actually thinking about it. Why couldn't Christians do that? It would make it more tolerable until the end came.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't have any that I know of in my state and looking at who is in Congress & Senate - there are no names that come to mind as being Christian. Maybe it's just in areas where there are concentrations of Christians. I think I'll found my own town and only have Christians go there until Christ ends it:) I was actually thinking about it. Why couldn't Christians do that? It would make it more tolerable until the end came.
88% of Congress is Christian, compared to only 70% of Americans that claim any Christian faith.
Faith on the Hill: The religious composition of the 116th Congress
Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Should Christians run for public office?
There's nothing in Scripture that says that they shouldn't. In fact there are a few examples in Scripture of righteous men taking public office and using it righteously. We have Joseph, Daniel, and Mordecai as good examples. Chances are Christians would have to run as Independents, since both parties have become unprincipled.

Reactions: Willie T

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why would a Christian want to rule over the dung heap?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sounds lovely but who would you evangelize? ;)

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, I wouldn't vote for someone solely because they claim to be a Christian. I'd read about them and where they stand on each issue. But I also wish that Christian colleges and churches would urge Christians to run for office. What concerned me was several articles I read that found that psychopaths seek positions of leadership. When you understand that, then it starts making sense why the country is in such a mess.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's surprising to me. There must be many that don't really follow their faith then. How many promise the moon and then get into office and do the opposite? Maybe it comes down to the caliber of the person seeking powerful positions is just bad.

Psychopaths gravitate to positions of leadership: PATHOCRACY: THE GLOBAL ORDER - PSYCHOPATHS, SOCIOPATHS, RULING ELITE, GLOBAL ELITE, DYNASTIC OLIGARCHY, FINANCIAL ELITE, POWER ELITE, KLEPTOCRACY, CORPORATOCRACY, DEEP STATE, GLOBALISM

The disturbing link between psychopathy and leadership: The Disturbing Link Between Psychopathy And Leadership

Top 10 jobs that attract psychopaths: The Top 10 Jobs That Attract Psychopaths

D

Dave L

Are a lot volunteering in large numbers for the military?
I don't know. But it was a loaded military that overthrew the Shah of Iran. And the main reason the WWI and WWII allies kept the military draft was to prevent insurgents from forming sizable groups. (Jean Lasserre "War and the Gospel").