Should Priests Get Married?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
With attendance at seminaries dwindling, I wonder if it would help if priests were allowed to get married.
Is celibacy a biblical principle?
Is it to any advantage? Disadvantage?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With attendance at seminaries dwindling, I wonder if it would help if priests were allowed to get married.

I don't believe that it should be a requirement, there were some that were able to bare this form Of worship. to devote their all to God and Christ.
Paul speak's about this, and concludes that if you can bare this consuming desire of the flesh, Good, But it is better to marry than to burn!!
I believe that If Priest's were to Marry, we might have less Child Abuse, IMO!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I don't believe that it should be a requirement, there were some that were able to bare this form Of worship. to devote their all to God and Christ.
Paul speak's about this, and concludes that if you can bare this consuming desire of the flesh, Good, But it is better to marry than to burn!!
I believe that If Priest's were to marry, we might have less Child Abuse, IMO!
Yes. That might be true although child abuse seems to cross all boundaries.
I know one priest who said he wouldn't want to be married because he feels he has a higher calling.
To each his opinion, I'm not here to criticize.

I like what you posted, I couldn't think of any verses regarding this.
Personally, I think it's a big sacrifice to make. Not having a family, I mean.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's goes against the grain of the romanist catholic church.
They control their people starting with the priests on down to lowliest Hispanic child living on the streets.
They could never change.
All their rules would start to unfold if they did.
No, they have to be strong from the inside when they are destroyed in the end.

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It's goes against the grain of the romanist catholic church.
They control their people starting with the priests on down to lowliest Hispanic child living on the streets.
They could never change.
All their rules would start to unfold if they did.
No, they have to be strong from the inside when they are destroyed in the end.
Interesting.
I never thought of it this way.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

In the OT the levitical priest where always married. Jewish rabies were also married. The evidence from the NT is that the apostles were married. It is only Jesus who we have no evidence of his
ever been married.

So the biblical pattern is to marry.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
In the OT the levitical priest where always married. Jewish rabies were also married. The evidence from the NT is that the apostles were married. It is only Jesus who we have no evidence of his
ever been married.

Agreed.
Thanks.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marriage is not for everyone, but there is no reason why a priest can be married.

the Lord Jesus said it best, Matthew 15:2 "Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

Matthew 15:3 "But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Mark 7:6 "He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Mark 7:7 "Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:8 "For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Mark 7:9 "And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

PCY

the apostle Paul echoed those word of our Lord. Colossians 2:8 "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ".

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Marriage is not for everyone, but there is no reason why a priest can be married.

the Lord Jesus said it best, Matthew 15:2 "Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

Matthew 15:3 "But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Mark 7:6 "He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Mark 7:7 "Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:8 "For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Mark 7:9 "And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

PCY

the apostle Paul echoed those word of our Lord. Colossians 2:8 "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ".

I agree with you, I just don't find in the bible any COMMAND that requires marriage. I'm not sure I understand you.

For instance for Mathew 15:3 :
Are you saying there's a command for marriage??

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the response, NO.
Matthew 19:10 "His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

Matthew 19:11 "But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

Matthew 19:12 "For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it".

now the apostle echoing the same,

1 Corinthians 7:1 "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

1 Corinthians 7:2 "Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

1 Corinthians 7:3 "Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

BUT NOTICE WHAT HE SAYS HERE IN VERSE 6. "But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment".

it's not a command but your choosing.

and he clarifies it in the very next verse,
1 Corinthians 7:7 "For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that".

so to marry is a personal choice. but not of a command.

just as some men are made eunuchs by other men, some render themselves as eunuchs. so it's your choice. no one can make you Marry, nor compel you.

PCY

hope that help.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Thanks for the response, NO.
Matthew 19:10 "His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

Matthew 19:11 "But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

Matthew 19:12 "For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it".

now the apostle echoing the same,

1 Corinthians 7:1 "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

1 Corinthians 7:2 "Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

1 Corinthians 7:3 "Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

BUT NOTICE WHAT HE SAYS HERE IN VERSE 6. "But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment".

it's not a command but your choosing.

and he clarifies it in the very next verse,
1 Corinthians 7:7 "For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that".

so to marry is a personal choice. but not of a command.

just as some men are made eunuchs by other men, some render themselves as eunuchs. so it's your choice. no one can make you Marry, nor compel you.

PCY

hope that help.
Thanks. It does seem as though there's no biblical reason why a priest should not be able to get married.

Reactions: Helen

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ever been married.

You got Scripture to back this up, because I disagree with you.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Apostle Paul to Timothy...

1 Tim 3:2
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

KJV

1 Cor 7:1-2
7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
KJV

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." Matt 19:12

"For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn." I Cor 7:7-9

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not ! It would probley be better for them all......

Other religions do , so why not ! I think in the times we are in now it would

be a good idea ......

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Doesn't matter.
The romanist do as they please.
This is true. They were the only church around and could proclaim what they wanted.
Being a priest was a prestigious "job" so there was no shortage of priests. To this day I know of some that had or have "girlfriends". There might not even be anything going on, but they like the company of a woman.
Today things are different and seminarian numbers are dwindling. A seminary about 45 minutes from me used to house 300 seminarians, today there are only 6 there.