Should sending your child to school be mandatory?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should School be compulsory

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It already is mandatory or you have to homeschool them, there are still government requirements though for homeschooling, but should it be mandatory?

We have people that complain about mandatory mask wearing and near-mandatory vaccinations, but what about mandatory school? School has been mandatory for decades by law.

Perhaps it's better to keep the kids at home in some cases?

Here are a few reasons, you might not be able to afford a private school and your local public schools have too much indoctrination , or maybe your child is getting bullied, or maybe your child is not good at school.

Where as at home you can teach them the basics and bring them up in the way of the Lord, day by day, without the negative influences.

So what are your thoughts?

Maybe you think once they learn the basics at school they should get out?

Or maybe you think school should be mandatory still?

Rudometkin

Sep 14, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting question.

The first thing I look at is the lawgivers, or the government. Are they in control of what is taught? Who is? If there is toxic education, learning it should not be mandatory, because this can destroy an entire nation.

If the education is healthy, then I support mandatory schooling. Potentially millions of children never experiencing a solid education system because of stubborn, or perhaps just plain lazy parents can also destroy an entire nation.

I think citizens should constantly be aware of the quality of education in their land, and that the mandatory law should be openly subject to change. Then, there is a problem of defining what is healthy and what is toxic, and getting people to agree.

Of course, Christian values and a nation of God-fearing Christians is a recipe for success.

Do you think that's a healthy way of answering it?

Reactions: JohnDB and Josho

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It already is mandatory or you have to homeschool them, there are still government requirements though for homeschooling, but should it be mandatory?
The government has no business in education or the upbringing of children. Education is a parental responsibility, whether home schooling, private schools, or public schools.

What the government can stipulate is that a standard High School Examination should be required to obtain a High School Diploma. But even here the curriculum requirements should be carefully examined to ensure that the exam includes only those subjects which are deemed essential for that purpose. The philosophy of education in almost all countries should be reviewed and revised. Chances are that nothing will be done.

Rudometkin

Sep 14, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The government has no business in education or the upbringing of children.

What the government can stipulate is that a standard High School Examination should be required to obtain a High School Diploma.

Then the government has business in education.

This is just speculation, a guess on my part, (though it should be considered,) but make a solid education system not mandatory, and watch a solid education system be absent from the lives of thousands of families, and potentially millions of children.

Is an uneducated nation a vulnerable nation? Having an educated nation is a heavy responsibility to be put in the hands of citizens, yet I think it's what we would be doing if we made school not compulsory.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In any population... including America about 15% are uneducable... meaning that they will blow off any education that is offered. Not keep a job... basically be a leech on the buttocks of society about half of their lives and only marginally productive the rest.

Since the advent of dual income households after WWII, parenting is almost a forgotten art. Daycares and childcare (performed by the uneducable) and then public schools are filling in the ranks.

These schools are where we discover cases of child abuse and neglect.
Private education (home schooling and paid tutoring) has run the gambit of success and failure.
Even the best paid tutoring sometimes is only marginal in effect...at other times it's excellent. Home schooling usually is ineffective...(blind leading the blind more times than not AND lack of disciplined parents lead to undisciplined children)

Children do benefit from an education. Part of the growing up process. Biblically mandated as well. But where the Bible is specific in a few things it largely leaves the bulk of the information you need to teach them out.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is heck no an option? Well I guess it just depends on what it is that they're learning. Like simple math skills, reading, and writing should be compulsory, the rest I wouldn't give a rip since I deliberately forgot most everything I learned in school anyways as it was brain clutter that I didn't need and I'm doing just fine so I just really don't see the big deal. Google exists for a reason.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...but make a solid education system not mandatory, and watch a solid education system be absent from the lives of thousands of families...
Everyone knows that public school education in America (and the West) is a TOTAL DISASTER. Definitely not a solid system.

Reactions: April_Rose

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone knows that public school education in America (and the West) is a TOTAL DISASTER. Definitely not a solid system.
Well...
They should start keeping political activism and social morality out of the classroom.

If they stuck to the basics and arts...
And maybe trade skills in high school things would be better.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my own personal opinion today's whole entire educational system has gone to the dogs. :D (My childhood. XD)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We have people that complain about mandatory mask wearing and near-mandatory vaccinations, but what about mandatory school? School has been mandatory for decades by law.

Here are a few reasons, you might not be able to afford a private school and your local public schools have too much indoctrination , or maybe your child is getting bullied, or maybe your child is not good at school.

Where as at home you can teach them the basics and bring them up in the way of the Lord, day by day, without the negative influences.

Education should be mandatory. Where you get it, not mandated. Which is how things are now in the US, and I'm a fan.
Yes, you can homeschool, and you still present things/tests showing the students have learned. Which is the same for traditional public schools. There's also a whole bunch of options for schools besides your assigned traditional public one.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In China (PRC) school is competitive...and when you stop going you are assigned your life career based on how far you got in school.

Parents hire all sorts of tutors.

Making school voluntary with a voucher system would result in the worst possible outcomes. Teachers would become entertainers instead of instructors...

Reactions: April_Rose

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then the government has business in education.

The government does have a role in Education...
Educate their military.
Educate their Employees in Policies and Office procedures within the walls of government jurisdictional buildings.
They "should" be Educated in the Constitution, because they sure don't get that in a public Education.

Independent Districts were Established for Public Schools within those designated Independent Districts for the Parents, footing that cost, to Dictate the Curriculum, PAY their part and send their children to that Independent School District...or Not.

Have you read any "modern" Public School text Books lately? They're pitiful.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Currently, skilled trades are pulling the same salaries as those with bachelor's and Masters degrees.

But there's an issue.

For whatever reason men are not completing post secondary educations and women are.

So...if a woman desires to get married she is going to have to settle for a less educated husband. Which can become problematic in many households.

Just saying...

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting subject. So all those who don’t agree with public education were you yourselves home taught by your parents. How did that work with qualifications ?
My daughter to my granddaughter out of public education some years back, she is 17 years old now and chose to go to college and loves it. The school system didn’t work for her, we believe she is on the autistic spectrum and being evaluated.
Personally I learnt more once I left school, but I didn’t have the pressure of needing qualifications to get accepted in good jobs. It was at a time when they trained you ,started work in a bank at the age of 16.
My parents gave me a good foundation, but I can’t honestly say that public school was wasted or not
beneficial. We had discipline at school as well, not all the children had that at home. Not all children have responsible parents , so I think public school is needed.
Rita

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting subject. So all those who don’t agree with public education were you yourselves home taught by your parents. How did that work with qualifications ?
My daughter to my granddaughter out of public education some years back, she is 17 years old now and chose to go to college and loves it. The school system didn’t work for her, we believe she is on the autistic spectrum and being evaluated.
Personally I learnt more once I left school, but I didn’t have the pressure of needing qualifications to get accepted in good jobs. It was at a time when they trained you ,started work in a bank at the age of 16.
My parents gave me a good foundation, but I can’t honestly say that public school was wasted or not
beneficial. We had discipline at school as well, not all the children had that at home. Not all children have responsible parents , so I think public school is needed.
Rita

Well that's the thing.
School has become a form of state run daycare for many two income households.

Performance for learning has slipped and politics and social engineering has begun.

Now the learning performance has slipped due to several factors...both sides, parents and school, have allowed this to happen.

We barely peruse the materials the kids are learning and think about the age we did those things and move on. Not understanding that they really aren't learning those subjects but just the names of the subjects.
(Teachers are much sneakier than teenagers)

Private education and tutoring helps...so does involved parents. More than just asking if the kids homework is done. Then there's the after school activities...sports, music, gymnastics, dance, church and a host of other things.
Sometimes kids are kept so busy with so many structured activities...they can't do everything and it all becomes a blur.

Extremes on both sides... helicopter parents and "there in spirit" parenting.

Seen teachers do the exact same thing... helicopter teachers and those who barely phone it in.
What the kids want ?
Unimportant.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So...if a woman desires to get married she is going to have to settle for a less educated husband. Which can become problematic in many households.
Unless we stop equating post-secondary enrollment with being educated. It seems that some of the dumbest people around today are those with degrees from the Ivy League schools. Some of the most foolish people are university professors today. Who do you think is promoting the nonsense about climate change, Marxism, and anarchy?

I have a graduate degree from an American university. But that is simply because I have completed a course of study. My education is basically what I have educated myself with. The true meaning of education should be reviewed. As someone has said: "...education does not mean only the acquisition of knowledge but it is the development of attitudes and skills..."

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting subject. So all those who don’t agree with public education were you yourselves home taught by your parents. How did that work with qualifications

I went to public school,.. for the most part I just hated it. ninety-nine point nine percent of it was a waste for half of my life on earth which is why I'm glad I never bothered wasting my time with college. Too much hassle and stress for something that isn't even compulsory anyways for when you can get jobs without it. I'm currently on SSI right now though so even though I eventually want a job I don't need one. It's fun doing nothing anyways and just watching all of the other college kids prepare for exams and I'm just like,.. have fun! Ahhh,... now this is the life! :D

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If I had school aged children, I'd be horrified at the idea of sending them to public school around here! They are horrible! I'd want to avoid that at all costs.

Thankfully it's not a question I have to answer.

Much love!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I had school aged children, I'd be horrified at the idea of sending them to public school around here! They are horrible! I'd want to avoid that at all costs.

Thankfully it's not a question I have to answer.

Much love!

Homeschool is actually better than public school in my opinion as there's less of a risk of children getting hurt that way.

Reactions: Josho