Should the book of Enoch be in the Bible canon?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Wiki:

The Book of Enoch ... is an ancient Hebrew apocalyptic religious text, ascribed by tradition to Enoch, the great-grandfather of Noah.
before 3000 BC

The older sections (mainly in the Book of the Watchers) of the text are estimated to date from about 300–200 BC
The book of Enoch could not have been written by the great-grandfather of Noah. To me, this is a weighty reason for excluding it from the canon. The author of the book of Enoch was not inspired by God.

Why was the book of Enoch quotes in Jude, yet not included in the official canon?

John 1:1 seems to allude to Philo writing in De Profugis

the Logos of the living God is the bond of everything, holding all things together and binding all the parts, and prevents them from being dissolved and separated.
Should De Profugis be considered part of the canon?

There is another allusion in Titus 1:

12 One of Crete’s own prophets has said it: “Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.”
Expositor's Greek Testament:

The whole line occurs, according to Jerome, in the περὶ χρησμῶν of Epimenides, a native of Cnossus in Crete. ... It is generally agreed that St. Paul was referring to Epimenides.
Should we put Epimenides' περὶ χρησμῶν into the Bible canon?

No. Allusions and citations are not sufficient conditions to be part of the Protestant canon.

Does the Book of Enoch have any validity?

I don't just dismiss anything. I put a weight on everything.

Wiki:

It is not part of the biblical canon used by Jews, apart from Beta Israel (Ethiopian Jews). While the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church consider the Book of Enoch as canonical, other Christian groups regard it as non-canonical or non-inspired, but may accept it as having some historical or theological interest.