Should we punish our kids physically?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Proverbs 23:

13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die.
14 Punish them with the rod and save them from death.

Yes, but there are 4 conditions.

Condition #1 If the local law disallows it, then you should not do it.

Condition #2 has to do with the parent. You can't do it out of anger. You have to be loving and careful in real-time when carrying out the physical punishment, Proverbs 13:

24 Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.
Condition #3 has to do with the child. Will the punishment cause exasperation in the child? If yes, stop, Ephesians 6:

4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
Finally, #4: if the physical punishment does not produce the corrective result, there is no point to continue.

Before I punished my sons, I made sure they understood why I was about to punish them. By the time they were around 10 years old, I didn't see any more point in physical punishment since the physical pain was no longer a deterrent for them and they were more capable of reasoning about rights and wrongs.

• Love
Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have kids @TonyChanYT? Now a grandparent of18 grandchildren, I have much experience on the topic and disagree with every "condition" you lay down.

The idea that government was instituted to dictate disciplining limits on parents is absurd. If there is any such local law, you have 2 problems instead of just a kid in need of discipline. Move to where freedom reigns.

Condition #2 has to do with the parent. You can't do it out of anger.

This is the "condition" I most strongly disagree with! When kids misbehave, the 1st thing they should know is that it is going to anger their father who might impose consequences they aren't going to like.

I've seen the effects of such "condition" where the kids are self-centered, only aware of their feelings, oblivious to how their actions make others feel, including adults - and why. Emotions are more primitive than other patterns of thought. Therefore, reaching your children on an emotional level must come first.

This is emotional responsibility. A topic dismissed among many so-called child experts today. One of the 1st things kids should learn about misbehavior is they have the power to keep the peace in their lives. And by abusing this power, they are responsible for causing problems - starting with upset adults - and suffering consequences they aren't going to like.

Let me say it again, BEFORE kids experience any discipline whatsoever, the parents ought to make a primal connection between the kids behavior and their parents emotional state. The idea that punishment is doled out in a cold, calculating manner is inhumane. (I think it breads psychopathic behavior.) Any discipline should be doled out in the fiery emotional context in which the need first derived.
NO. Go to time out. :expressionless:
YES. Go to time out!!! :mad:

One of the most important tools parents have is escalating degrees of punishment. Knowing I could and would punish them in escalating patterns - including physically (typically only for direct rebellion) was used to great effect as a threat much more frequently than actually imposing it. Training the children to trust the threat is imperative. "If you don't stop doing X, then Y will happen" is given full weight when delivered with the unmistakable tone of angry resolve once carried out to deserve the child trusting the words, especially when delivered with such emotional content as tone.

Physical punishment should not be the only tool leveraged. When teaching a kid right from wrong, the emotional context is itself a form of discipline. Everyone has seen dogs look away when they are being yelled at. Not even non-humans like being yelled at. The power is not in the words but the emotional content of the message. Only a fool would abandon powerful communication methods when needed.

If you were to talk to a dog in a cold, calculating tone about their misbehavior, they would not get it. Neither would a small child. But the emotionally laced tone is unmistakable. It's the universal language. A dog approaching you with her tail wagging and friendly eyes communicates one thing. A dog approaching you with growling, hair on back raised, and teeth exposed with a menacing look communicates another thing. (In neither case is physical contact yet made.)

Kids should be taught to want to please their parents, to want to NOT disappoint and certainly to NOT anger their parents, first and foremost - before any discipline is meted out.

Condition #3 has to do with the child. Will the punishment cause exasperation in the child? If yes, stop, Ephesians 6:

You promote a child-centric worldview, common in the west. And what a disrespectful double standard for the parents! It's OK for the kids to anger the parents but the parents are impotent to even "exasperate" their children's delicate sensibilities? And the idea that you tie parents capacity to exasperate their children exclusively through physical discipline is completely out of context from Scripture.

You promote a world view where the children are the EMOTIONAL DICTATORS in the home.

Having said that, I agree with Ephesians 6, which does not apply to restricting physical discipline shown by Proverbs 23:13-14 having no such qualification. Ephesians 6:4, not being hard on your children, refers not to physical punishment but giving daily doses of needed discipline, i.e., nip the problem in the bud as opposed to 'let them get away with murder for a long time' and then come down on them. Said differently, it is absurd to suppose they only way to exasperate children is through imposing physical discipline. Ephesians 6:4 does not say this at all.

Finally, #4: if the physical punishment does not produce the corrective result, there is no point to continue.
No punishment is ever given to correct the result. I sense you tend to set up a false standard, designed to defeat what you are against.

The purpose of discipline is to connect in the child's mind their behavior to consequences. Daily doses of loving discipline is the greatest gift parents can give their children because there is no aspect of life one can be successful without discipline.

Observing my stepdaughters laying down the law to their children, I told them it warms an old man's heart to see you give them what they need. My oldest stepdaughter confessed when she thinks about where she got the internal fortitude to do what she needed to be successful as an adult, to achieve her goals in life, she realized she got it from me.

A greater testament to my love for my children could not be expressed. :spring:

Reactions: Jim C

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
This is true since today's youth are too spoiled, no longer fearing anything, and no respect for their elders and parents the way their parents did because they were not trained to do so the same way.
Rather than interjecting our personal perspectives into this discourse, it may be prudent to rely solely on the Word of God, for it is suffice.

Reactions: Debp and TonyChanYT

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another bite at this poisoned apple ...

Obeying the will of God - VOID where prohibited by law. ;)

Condition #2 has to do with the parent. You can't do it out of anger.

Everyone has seen dogs look away when they are being yelled at. Not even non-humans like being yelled at. The power is not in the words but the emotional content of the message. Only a fool would abandon powerful communication methods when needed.

If you were to talk to a dog in a cold, calculating tone about their misbehavior, they would not get it. Neither would a small child. But the emotionally laced tone is unmistakable. It's the universal language. A dog approaching you with her tail wagging and friendly eyes communicates one thing. A dog approaching you with growling, hair on back raised, and teeth exposed with a menacing look communicates another thing. (In neither case is physical contact yet made.)
Funny story about imposing punishment laced with emotion ... Every night my wife says in a sweet, loving voice to the dogs that it is time to go to bed as they lie on our laps cuddling. Every night they completely ignore her.

Then I say the exact same words with a tone that conveys the beatings are about to commence - because they are. And beatings have commenced after I talked to them with such a tone. The dogs immediately get off our lap and go to their kennel, their bed. And it is the same with the children I raised.

One time I grounded my teenage daughter for a week after telling her to do something that she did not do. It was cute to see her "reason" with me, saying she should not be grounded because I only told her once to do something. She acknowledged that she heard me and offered no defense for her ignoring it.

I asked her how many times do I have to tell her to do something before she does it? She gave no answer. I re-asserted my moral authority, stating that I should only have to tell you once and that is why you are grounded for a week. But @TonyChanYT would be proud as I delivered these consequences without anger. Yet, I confess, the punishment was doled out with a fair amount of exasperation in my tone. See Ephesians 6. :goodj:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the "condition" I most strongly disagree with! When kids misbehave, the 1st thing they should know is that it is going to anger their father who might impose consequences they aren't going to like.
I'm thinking the one real condition is not "out of control" anger. We shouldn't rage on our kids. Anger is a valid emotion, and is valid to express. Only not in abusive ways.

Much love!

Reactions: Jim C

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thinking the one real condition is not "out of control" anger.
Being out of control is not acceptable regardless of the emotion. And I'm glad you distinguish between anger and wrath. All 7 of the deadly sins are about out of control emotions.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thinking the one real condition is not "out of control" anger. We shouldn't rage on our kids. Anger is a valid emotion, and is valid to express. Only not in abusive ways.

Much love!
Completely agree. Huge difference between being angry at their actions and providing appropriate discipline vs being in a rage and beating the tar out of them.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 23:

Condition #2 has to do with the parent. You can't do it out of anger. You have to be loving and careful in real-time when carrying out the physical punishment, Proverbs 13:

Before I punished my sons, I made sure they understood why I was about to punish them. By the time they were around 10 years old, I didn't see any more point in physical punishment since the physical pain was no longer a deterrent for them and they were more capable of reasoning about rights and wrongs.
The Bible tells us not to spare the rod, I believe. I can think of no valid reason to disagree.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 23:

YOu are adding human conditions to the simple instruction of scripture. Scripture says if we spare the rod we harm the child. None of these other four reasons you cite do not appear in gods Word.

Sending a kid to their room could exasperate them, should that be stopped as well? Taking something from them for a time could exasperate- should we not do that also?