Silly question, but a thought provoking one:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
….because there was no one else pure and holy enough.

I don’t understand the comment “just to convince himself to forgive us”!!!?

that part makes no sense to me. He needed no convincing because the Plan was made “before the foundation of the world “ …so….the Lamb was slain before the beginning.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

that part makes no sense to me. He needed no convincing because the Plan was made “before the foundation of the world “ …so….the Lamb was slain before the beginning.

You definitely got it maam, as little Billy was pointing out, it purely makes no sense.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy to Bible study teacher: Why did God have to send himself down to earth to become his own son to sacrifice himself...?
Besides so he could be the 'life for life' required by the law, he took humanity upon himself to become a compassionate High Priest...

...He had to be made like His brothers in every way, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, in order to make atonement for the sins of the people. Because He Himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted." Hebrews 2:17-18

...just to convince himself to forgive us?
I agree with @Helen, that's just nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Wynona

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"6Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,a7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in human likeness.8And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross." Philippians 2:6-8

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy to Bible study teacher: Why did God have to send himself down to earth to become his own son to sacrifice himself just to convince himself to forgive us?

Who is able to make sense out of it all? Who is able to open up those things which have been sealed?

"And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end." Dan 12:8-9

"And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.
And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?
And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon.
And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon.
And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof." Rev 5:1-5

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. ↓↓↓

"...He had to be made like His brothers in every way, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, in order to make atonement for the sins of the people." Hebrews 2:17
Like them but 'unflawed'! He was spotless and clean from his beginning as a lamb or the Lamb provided:

And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering..." Gen 22:8

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Besides so he could be the 'life for life' required by the law

What is nonsense is the impossibility of God dying. If Jesus were God, who raised him from the dead?

The 'life for life' standard necessary means the sacrifice must be made by one who can die. This being cannot be God because Scripture tells us God does not change. Death is the ultimate change.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like them but 'unflawed'!

Then it is an act of injustice, to accept a unflawed life for a flawed life. Honestly, the necessity or practicality of the sacrifice being unflawed, is asserted but goes against Scripture.

Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.
Ecclesiastes 7:20

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is nonsense is the impossibility of God dying. If Jesus were God, who raised him from the dead?

The 'life for life' standard necessary means the sacrifice must be made by one who can die. This being cannot be God because Scripture tells us God does not change. Death is the ultimate change.

He was a part of. It was only His body part that died. This spirit descended and preached preached to those in chains …

Jonah was his foreshadowing…..into the belly of the fish for three days ……

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

in the day that the first Adan ate, he died . But he did not fall down dead. It says “in dying you shall die” in the original.

What is death , But separation from Father .
Adam was separated from his wonderful relationship with Father ..walking and talking in the cool of the evening.
the last Adam, Jesus , was separated from Father when He took the weight of the worlds sins upon Himself ….hence His cry “ Why hast thou forsaken me.” He actually ‘became’ sin for us , He that knew no sin….

My two cents

Reactions: Nancy

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was the Word who was sent to become human, not the Most High God. The Most High did not become His own Son, as Christ Himself says the world has never seen the Most High's form or heard His voice. The Word became the Son when He was begotten as a human being, and the Most High God became His Father. This is all written in Jhn 1, should anybody dare to actually believe what it says.
Then it is an act of injustice, to accept a unflawed life for a flawed life. Honestly, the necessity or practicality of the sacrifice being unflawed, is asserted but goes against Scripture.

Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.
Ecclesiastes 7:20
It is not an act of injustice, because only a pure being could pay the penalty for the sins of a flawed person. That is why the sin offering law required a lamb/goat without any physical imperfections to be sacrificed under the former covenant. The wages of sin is death(Rom. 6:23), and the only life that could truly atone for people violating what were spiritual laws(Rom. 7:14) was the life of a God Being, since such a being was spiritually flawless. That is why Christ had to live a human life of moral perfection before He could qualify as that sacrifice. Christ and His Father took all the risks, and we all do as human beings is benefit from it, even though we don't deserve it. That is not an injustice; it is the greatest act of love anybody has ever made or ever will make in the history of the universe.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God took on the likeness of human form and that human form died.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was the Word who was sent to become human, not the Most High God. The Most High did not become His own Son

Agreed but it seems to contradict to the rest of your post.

The wages of sin is death(Rom. 6:23), and the only life that could truly atone for people violating what were spiritual laws(Rom. 7:14) was the life of a God Being, since such a being was spiritually flawless.

This makes no sense. For 1,000's of years sacrifices were atonement for people's sins. If you want to add truly to the sentence, it changes nothing. It's just that a new covenant was put in place, not a more truer covenant. This new covenant replaced the endless sin-sacrifice model with a one time sacrifice model. The notion of perfect is truly irrelevant, though asserted with fervor.

There is only one God Being and it does not comprise 3. The only God is Jesus' God.

'For us there is one God, the Father.'
1 Corinthians 8:6

God, the Father of our Lord Jesus the Anointed One.
Ephesians 1:3

God of our Lord Jesus the Anointed
Ephesians 1:17

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God took on the likeness of human form and that human form died.

God did no such thing. Acts 17:31 informs us that God chose the man Jesus. This is not at all the same as God became incarnate.

The worse part of the trinity doctrine is that it undermines Jesus achievement and sacrifice. Jesus died. Not in form or other appearance of non-death. It is really a trivial even for God to appear to be a man and appear to die when none of it is actually true.

Jesus actual, complete and total full death assures us in his resurrection that God's promise is realized of our fate; it is the very heart of the Good News.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Apparently what is being lost or overlooked here is the definition of “redemption”.
Why was Christ called our “Redeemer”?

His perfect sinless life, paid the “life for life” part of God’s law. In order for justice to be done, an equivalent had to be offered to cancel a debt. If a man was deeply in debt, with no way to pay it, he was to offer his services to the one to whom he owed the debt until it was paid in full. He, or one of his children, would become the servant of that man until the debt was fully cancelled. The only other way to cancel the debt was for a benevolent relative or friend (who had the means) to pay the debt for him, and free him or his child from that servitude.

So why did Jesus have to become a human and offer his life for Adam’s children?

What Adam lost by his disobedience was his own perfect sinless life.....he died as a payment his own debt. But he also lost perfect sinless life for all of his children who inherited his defects. Jesus came to ransom them (all of us as Adam’s offspring) out of that slavery to inevitable sin and death. Jesus had to come from outside of the sinful human race in order to offer ‘a sinless life for a sinless life’. No human born of Adam had the correct price. (Romans 5:12) God provided the ransom price that justice demanded. The Redeemer did not have to be God to pay it....all he needed to be was sinless. Jesus had to be a mortal human in every respect in order to die a death like Adam’s. It is why he is called “the last Adam”. (1 Corinthians 15:45)

If we understand what “redemption” is, and how God sent Jesus who willingly paid the price, it all makes perfect sense. No greater love has ever been demonstrated.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferris Bueller