Sin unto Death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have experienced great freedom in Christ. If you have ever read any of my other post, you are aware that I am an highly anxious, reclusive person. God has drawn me even out of the anxiety and fear I thought I would never be free from. I have been going out without panic attacks. In crowds.

But there remains something I am a slave to...cigarettes. I have prayed. I have struggled. I have pleaded with God. I have ignored the smoking and the repetitive motions of this bondage, claiming the blood of Jesus covers the blatant disobedience also. God convicts. I ignore. I have smoked since I was sixteen years old. God removed the smoking for nine days once and I am certain it was Him because it was during one of the most difficult times in my life, a time when God removed that obstacle so I would come to Him fully and continuously during that time without interference. I know it was God because the craving instantly vanished. I could not remember what it was like to smoke. It was as if nicotine had never entered my body. After unceasing prayer for those nine days and that difficult time had passed. Without a single craving, I returned to my vomit. Why I picked up that cigarette again even though my body was not crying out for it; the only reason I can think of is...out of sheer disobedience and rebellion.

My question is: Is smoking a sin unto death? If it is my repetitive sin that I am determined to hold onto?

What does 1 John 5: 16 mean "If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it."

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No. Its a life style. And addiction. Stop pleading with God and thank Him He loves you. There is no condemnation in God. Why so hard on your self. God would rather you stopped . Its not effecting Hin the way it is you. In Jesus name I commeand the desire for nicotine to leave you in Jesus name. Amen. If you no any believers ask the to lay hands on you and smash that garbage off you in His Name.

Mind I said a believer.

Take 15 seconds

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus said:
I have experienced great freedom in Christ. If you have ever read any of my other post, you are aware that I am an highly anxious, reclusive person. God has drawn me even out of the anxiety and fear I thought I would never be free from. I have been going out without panic attacks. In crowds.

But there remains something I am a slave to...cigarettes. I have prayed. I have struggled. I have pleaded with God. I have ignored the smoking and the repetitive motions of this bondage, claiming the blood of Jesus covers the blatant disobedience also. God convicts. I ignore. I have smoked since I was sixteen years old. God removed the smoking for nine days once and I am certain it was Him because it was during one of the most difficult times in my life, a time when God removed that obstacle so I would come to Him fully and continuously during that time without interference. I know it was God because the craving instantly vanished. I could not remember what it was like to smoke. It was as if nicotine had never entered my body. After unceasing prayer for those nine days and that difficult time had passed. Without a single craving, I returned to my vomit. Why I picked up that cigarette again even though my body was not crying out for it; the only reason I can think of is...out of sheer disobedience and rebellion.

My question is: Is smoking a sin unto death? If it is my repetitive sin that I am determined to hold onto?

What does 1 John 5: 16 mean "If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it."
Smoking is not a sin unto death. Understand that a 'sin unto death' doesn't mean eternal damnation. It means a sin where God removes us here in this life. That could be any thing. It's a point that God knows where you will no longer progress here in the knowledge of God.

I smoked for many years, (Marlborough and Camel filters) But I was able to put them down. But, there are other sins, I have not been able to put down. Where sin abounded, Grace did more so abound. What does that mean? I'm just a picture of grace. Cause I couldn't make it. And, throughout all eternity, I am going to be a picture of grace. I am not going to be a picture of one who deserved eternal life, I am not going to be a picture of one who measured up. I am going to be a picture of grace. Because I needed it Without it, I wouldn't be there.

May I say, God is not interested so much as what you do, as who you are. If you have been born-again, then He has who you are. And that is what is important to Him. He can deal with all of your sins. He can deal with all of your shortcomings. Your are His.

Stranger

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As Jesus explained to my friend, smoking itself is not a sin, it is when you smoke when other people are about that it becomes a sin. Drinking alchohol in itself is not a sin, In Jesus days everyone drunk wine good or bad, it the drinking to ecess and teh problems it causes is wher teh sin steps in. Sin isnt so blaack and white as teh religious would put it, and never plead with God, just ask Him, than thank Him and let it go, we are His children not slaves.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nice. While there are surely reflections available for personal growth, in a desire to smoke, i'm not sure how big a "sin" it is, either. 5 or 6 cigarettes a day never killed anyone. Unfortunately most people are a slave to it, and smoke much more than that. Fwiw i quit smoking cigarettes years ago, by first transitioning to shag tobacco, and i noticed a couple weeks or so of withdrawal anyway, which was not related to the nicotine.

This made me realize the chemicals added to most all cigarettes, with the exception of a very few, Shermans or whatever, are really the addictive part. I would be light-headed from nicotine, and still had a chemical craving. I can now take them or leave them, so shag might be a good way to wean yourself maybe. 2 MArlboros in a day give me a headache now. It's possible this is psychosomatic, but i do know that they add a lot of junk to pre rolled cigarettes.

I guess one could pursue a settlement from the cigarette lawsuit too, if they wanted? I'm told it was a class action, and all you have to do is claim it.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger, I understand your clear explanation of what "sin unto death" means.
Thank you all for answering the question!
I say this out of love, if I wouldn’t plead with God? Then who should I plead with? When God is the only one that can reclaim territory that the enemy has laid hold of? I heard someone once say: there are two kinds of prayer: prayer with your boots on, and prayer with your boots off. I believe it. I read all the scripture where the Lord says (I am paraphrasing) we must give all, we must surrender all, and we must come out of the world (meaning no longer living as a heathen). What does giving all look like? What do all the verses, and there are several about “he that loseth his life, shall find it” really mean? How do you lose your life but still retain back a part of it? How do you die, yet still be comfortable? Is that losing all? Do I become content with the sin because the flesh will always war against God? Who should I plead with to reform this life that is of no use to God in the state that it is in? I am not speaking of earning eternal life; I am referring to holding onto corrupt areas because I refuse to surrender "all".
A dear friend came to visit us this morning. My husband and I are both going through the dying process at the same time. Our friend looked at us and bluntly said, “it is painful to watch you two. It is torture. You are suffering. You need to stop suffering.” My thoughts, which sum up exactly how I feel. I wanted to cry out: I AM DYING! BUT I have never felt so alive! I die. Yet I live!
Maybe I have grown to welcome the suffering. Is that wrong? Why are people constantly telling us to stop dying? Is it not true a seed must die before it is planted?

​"Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;"

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus

I want to say one thing, as I may not be here much longer. Understand, that the good things you do in the flesh are equally abhorrent to God as the bad things you do in the flesh. Go to the book of Romans.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A couple of years ago, there was no desire in me to read God's word. No desire at all. I prayed for the desire to read the bible and God answered that prayer. I don't have it in me to love the brethren, I have prayed the Lord will be that love. I read about the Apostle Paul hating Christians and persecuting them, then he labors with tears for their well-being. Only the spirit of the Lord could do that. I have faith(which also has to come from Him) that the spirit of the Lord overcomes. I get what you are saying...I have missed a key truth. Truth I obviously don't see yet. I will read Romans.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus said:

The words I have to say might seem harsh to you but CIGARETTE IS YOUR GOD! Is anyone twisting your arms to go to the store buy cigarettes and smoke them? Was it not your desire and craving that made you do them? Did you not realize smoking is self murder? You must decide what you want to worship, the God of the Bible or cigarettes! You cannot serve two masters. It seems your
name does not suit you.

There are those who claim smoking and drinking alcohol is not a sin but they go hand in hand, except for Paul’s advice to Timothy to not drink water but wine for his stomach sake (1 Timothy 5:23) which was used for medicinal purpose.

My question is: Is smoking a sin unto death? If it is my repetitive sin that I am determined to hold unto?
What does 1 John 5:16 mean “If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.”

Ultimately, every sin in a sense is unto death. Scripture declare, “the wages of sin (singular) is death” but all sin can be forgiven except one, that is, the “unpardonable sin” which the Pharisees committed attributing Jesus’ power to Satan instead of from the Holy Spirit.

To God Be The Glory

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are those who claim smoking and drinking alcohol is not a sin but they go hand in hand, except for Paul’s advice to Timothy to not drink water but wine for his stomach sake (1 Timothy 5:23) which was used for medicinal purpose.
Why is smoking a sin. please explain??? I dont smoke neither do i drink but I do have my issues. Smoking is not a sin till death, but certainly it does haver its health issues, that can cause death, but than so can getting up in teh morning.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
You already know it is a sin VictoryInJesus, so you must flee from it as the bible says. Don't buy another pack, smoke a single cigarette, or even think about it for more than a second. I pray you can overcome this and that the Lord strengthens your resolve, painlessly if possible.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
mjrhealth said:
And why is it a sin. Please explain???
well c'mon mjr anything that has a power over you might be considered a sin, even if it is not a sin for someone else, necessarily. If you are a slave to it, it will prolly come to rule over you, don't you think?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jun2u said:
The words I have to say might seem harsh to you but CIGARETTE IS YOUR GOD! Is anyone twisting your arms to go to the store buy cigarettes and smoke them? Was it not your desire and craving that made you do them? Did you not realize smoking is self murder? You must decide what you want to worship, the God of the Bible or cigarettes! You cannot serve two masters. It seems your
name does not suit you.

My question is: Is smoking a sin unto death? If it is my repetitive sin that I am determined to hold unto?
What does 1 John 5:16 mean “If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.”

Ultimately, every sin in a sense is unto death. Scripture declare, “the wages of sin (singular) is death” but all sin can be forgiven except one, that is, the “unpardonable sin” which the Pharisees committed attributing Jesus’ power to Satan instead of from the Holy Spirit.

To God Be The Glory
Jun2u,

I am not offended by your honesty that comes out of what you believe. I appreciate people that are direct. Still, that does not mean I should agree with what you perceive as truth.

My Father in heaven chastises me. No doubt smoking is not good. I go to bed every night and think back on the day and all the sin I have committed. And instead of putting my trust and faith in the work Christ has already finished, I tell God I am not worthy to pray to Him because my prayers are empty. I do not keep God's commandments. I spend yet another day sinning. I think of the smoking and anything else I do to bring shame to the Lord and I ask: God, how can You fellowship with me? Why do You pour spiritual blessing upon me and reveal Your Son to me throughout Your word? Why when I am this rebellious, weak woman that wakes up to sin against You all over again?

There can be only one answer.

Christ in me.

Romans 7:2-3 says that my previous husband (the law) is dead. I am married to another. Christ fulfilled the law. I love Christ which means I am His. The covenant was sealed with blood. I am no longer called an adulteress.

(Romans 7: 2-3)”For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead (the law), she is loosed from the law of her husband. So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead (the law), she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.”

(1 John 3: 9) “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.”

There is victory in Jesus… The victory is not mine, but His. If I leave this post and go smoke an entire pack of cigarettes or go save orphans from a burning building… It still adds nothing to Christ’s imputed righteousness. Neither does it take away from His righteousness. And that is grace!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Why is smoking a sin. please explain??? I dont smoke neither do i drink but I do have my issues. Smoking is not a sin till death, but certainly it does haver its health issues, that can cause death, but than so can getting up in teh morning.
You have answered your own question.

Have you not seen the ads that say “Cigarettes Kill” or “Second-hand smoke kills?”

The key word is “kill” and for a smoker it translates to self murder, and smoking in a crowd makes the smoker a murderer.

Remember, the wages of sin is death. In other words, it only takes one sin to be under the wrath of God.

To God Be The Glory

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus said:
Jun2u

There is victory in Jesus… The victory is not mine, but His. If I leave this post and go smoke an entire pack of cigarettes or go save orphans from a burning building… It still adds nothing to Christ’s imputed righteousness. Neither does it take away from His righteousness. And that is grace!
It seems to me you are blaming God for your addiction.

If you truly believe in what you say above you will honor and worship Jesus just like He nailed your sins to the cross to set you free.

To God Be The Glory

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jun2u said:

If you truly believe in what you say above you will honor and worship Jesus just like He nailed your sins to the cross to set you free.

To God Be The Glory

Then, please, pray for me! Pray God makes it clear through His word.

I will pray for you as well.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Haning a noose around another christian, gets done so ofetn what is it about the log in ones own eye, I really would love to see you noin smomners take it up yhan try to quit. I know many who have tried and failed miserably, its why its called "addiction" and is why it is so hard. My son and his grilfiend havew tried many ways, all fail, Its not a sin to smoke, it is a sin to condemn others.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus said:
Then, please, pray for me! Pray God makes it clear through His word.

I will pray for you as well.
I will pray for you as I know there will be many others that will pray for you as well.

To God Be The Glory