Sins in others

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how do you react when you see personal sin in others? How are we supposed to handle it? What is the role of love in the process?

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the roll of love in the process?

The "roll" of love? How about Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls! Yum!
They do the trick for me, LoL!

348s.jpg

Maybe it just involves correcting people gently, in considerate or even humorous ways (whenever possible). "Goes down" easier that way, LoL.
But you have to be careful. Some people don't like being teased, so it depends on the person.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
how do you react when you see personal sin in others? How are we supposed to handle it? What is the roll of love in the process?
According to Scripture, Christians can only address sins in others who are within their local church or assembly. Every church in the Bible was an autonomous church with elders and deacons. However, all the Christians within that church were part of the same spiritual family.

So if a brother or sister were sinning, anyone within that church could approach them and try to put them back on track. With love, meaning you do not make excuses for them, or allow them to make excuses for themselves. Here is one very pertinent Scripture:

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. (James 5:19,20).

This corresponds to another passage in Hebrews 12:15,16: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.

When it comes to someone who has sinned against you personally, then there is a distinct procedure which must be followed as given in Matthew 18:15-17:
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell
it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Scripture, Christians can only address sins in others who are within their local church or assembly. Every church in the Bible was an autonomous church with elders and deacons. However, all the Christians within that church were part of the same spiritual family.

So if a brother or sister were sinning, anyone within that church could approach them and try to put them back on track. With love, meaning you do not make excuses for them, or allow them to make excuses for themselves. Here is one very pertinent Scripture:

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. (James 5:19,20).

This corresponds to another passage in Hebrews 12:15,16: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.

When it comes to someone who has sinned against you personally, then there is a distinct procedure which must be followed as given in Matthew 18:15-17:
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
What if the the brother who trespassed another brother attends a different local body? I've not too long ago had this happen to me. I was only able to take it so far and, as things were not "settled", I went to Romans 12:18 :
"If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "roll" of love? How about Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls! Yum!
They do the trick for me, LoL!

348s.jpg

Maybe it just involves correcting people gently, in considerate or even humorous ways (whenever possible). "Goes down" easier that way, LoL.
But you have to be careful. Some people don't like being teased, so it depends on the person.

Delicious!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What if the the brother who trespassed another brother attends a different local body?
Then, if the elders in the church of the offended party are doing their jobs, they would meet with the elders of the other church, and bring the matter to their attention. And if those elders are conscientious, they will address the matter with their offending church member, and try to resolve it. While this kind of situation is not discussed in the NT, it would be consistent with this passage:

Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the Word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation [manner of life]... Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you. (Heb 13:7,17)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So here is how I see personal sin in others:

1. We can only see it in order to root out our own sin. If it is not within us in some form, we cannot register it as sin
2. When I see personal sin in others I seek it out within myself
3. Identified, I need to ask myself, “how can I love better?” If it is lying, like when I am watching Trump, I identify my own dishonesty and commit to honesty as a form of complete loving action.
4. With practice, and God grace, I am on a sanctification path

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So here is how I see personal sin in others:

1. We can only see it in order to root out our own sin. If it is not within us in some form, we cannot register it as sin
2. When I see personal sin in others I seek it out within myself
3. Identified, I need to ask myself, “how can I love better?” If it is lying, like when I am watching Trump, I identify my own dishonesty and commit to honesty as a form of complete loving action.
4. With practice, and God grace, I am on a sanctification path

This is excellent (aside from the Trump thing, Lol).

Now, along the same lines as "how can I love better," I believe this attitude is what opens the door for God to reveal to you the sins of others so you can reach them. Those with a condemning attitude need not apply, as they will only make the sinner want to sin and/or reject God even more.

But yes, being humble enough to be ever looking at one's own sins is what qualifies you for ministry. Without it, we "lie against the truth" by presenting ourselves as being above others, and superior to them.

Reactions: GodsGrace and aspen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is excellent (aside from the Trump thing, Lol).

Now, along the same lines as "how can I love better," I believe this attitude is what opens the door for God to reveal to you the sins of others so you can reach them. Those with a condemning attitude need not apply, as they will only make the sinner want to sin and/or reject God even more.

But yes, being humble enough to be ever looking at one's own sins is what qualifies you for ministry. Without it, we "lie against the truth" by presenting ourselves as being above others, and superior to them.

The "beam in your own eye" teaching comes to mind here.

Reactions: GodsGrace and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you can almost thank a sinner for helping you root out your own sin!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cleanse your hands you sinners!!!!! Purify your hearts you double minded!!!! Lol. :)

No. But I like Matthew 18. It is hard to go first to the brother/sister without talking about it first. :D

Reactions: aspen

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then, if the elders in the church of the offended party are doing their jobs, they would meet with the elders of the other church, and bring the matter to their attention. And if those elders are conscientious, they will address the matter with their offending church member, and try to resolve it. While this kind of situation is not discussed in the NT, it would be consistent with this passage:
Doesn't the 'elders' approach short circuit v.15?
It seems verse 15 is the first step regardless of the congregation they belong to.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Doesn't the 'elders' approach short circuit v.15?
It seems verse 15 is the first step regardless of the congregation they belong to.
My response was to two Christians in two different churches at odds with each other. Matthew 18 applies to one single church. Therefore there is no short circuit. That might be the only possible solution.