1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Smokers: Do your children smoke?

Discussion in 'Fellowship Forum' started by farouk, Nov 13, 2018.

1. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

Statistically the children of smokers are far more likely to start smoking than sons and daughters of non-smoking parents.

There is another quit smoking thread, but the specific question now is: Do smokers have children who smoke or are likely to? and if so, would this make you more determined to give up?

(Or if young people start, is it more or less inevitable anyway, whatever the parents might think?)

Truth likes this.
  2. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

So any thoughts on this aspect?

3. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

4. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I pray daily for this evil to pass away. Whenever asked 1 thing I wish I hadn't done, my answer was/is smoking. I have repented and miraculously overcame alcohol dependancy, but the cigs...hmmm My parents and grandparents smoked, and my children smoke. My grandchildren do not smoke. A blessing I am very grateful for. 1 of them vapes, which I tried but my doctor told me if I had to smoke, smoke. Something about side effects for vaping wouldn't be known for a few decades. Either way its just not worth it...as i light a cig. No excuse SMH

Prayer Warrior and amadeus like this.
  5. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

You are a very honest lady in these comments; thank-you.

Actually I don't believe in Christians guilt-manipulating others about smoking. Science shows that it may be wise to avoid smoking among children; although one cannot be indefinitely responsible for what young adults do or don't do.

I'm surprised about the advice from your doctor; this is a new perspective for me; I had thought that vaping had been more or less proven safer than cigarettes; but if your doctor says keep on with the cigarettes when you need your inhales, then meet your need the way you know well.

Nancy likes this.
  6. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

7. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The doctor has obviously not been educated in the tobacco vs vape danger. It's a no brainer! Can't believe that doctor told him to continue smoking cigarettes when we KNOW that THEY kill. Now, I am SMH!

Prayer Warrior likes this.
  8. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

@Nancy

I think you recommend vaping far more, right?

(BTW, @Acolyte is female...)

Nancy likes this.
  9. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

10. Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    This really isn't the thread for me. I absolutely hate smoking! No one in my family smokes, thank God. I'm also thankful that I don't have to breathe other people's toxic smoke in public places anymore!!! My lungs were damaged years ago by smoke in our house, and I can't understand why anyone with a brain would put something into their lungs on purpose that harms the lungs. There, I got it out of my system and now I feel better. :)

amadeus and farouk like this.
  11. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

Some good thoughts there! It is wise not to smoke around children.

12. Prayer Warrior

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    What? Is that what you got out of what I said? I'm saying it's stupid for anyone to smoke. If I've offended anyone by saying this, I'm NOT sorry. It really is stupid.

13. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

Yes, it's wise to quit. I guess the thread particularly refers to the relationship between smokers and their children.

Thanks for your thoughts.

14. Prayer Warrior

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Oh, I've never been very good at staying on topic. :rolleyes:

15. Prayer Warrior

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Farouk, I wasn't a very good forum member last night. Not sure what got into me! I'll try to do better with staying on topic. :)

16. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

Oh it wasn't problematic! all your contributions are gratefully received! :)

Some others here have taken the view that while they have proven unable to quit so far (and good if they eventually succeed in quitting), they would rather not be around children when they smoke.

17. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    My parents were non-smokers but I started messing around with cigarettes in my pre-teens and became hooked in my teens. Eventually quit in my 20s.

18. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

Does / did Mrs. Dave L smoke? and did her or your views modify around the presence of any children? (I guess this is also one of the slants of the discussion.)

19. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    My wife's father smoked, and we both smoked when we met and married. But both quit not long after that. We didn't smoke around kids but always sneaked a smoke if any were around.

farouk likes this.
  20. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

Oh okay! so she knows perfectly well what it is to be a smoker and would know how young ppl think if they wanted to start.