Smokers/vapers: Do your children smoke/vape?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not a smoker/vaper and neither are my children

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I am not a smoker but one/some of my children are

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Okay so I guess this is really relevant for some families, as regards strategies for quitting:

If you smoke/vape yourself, do your children smoke/vape also?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@mailmandan ; @Lambano FYI....thread started....
My stepson took up smoking in the Navy because it was a recognized excuse for taking a break while on duty. Now he's hooked.

If you've read any of my other posts on smoking, you may remember that my father-in-law died from lung cancer, and my mother died slowly and horribly from emphysema. Both were heavy smokers. I also have a cousin who suffers from COPD due to exposure to second-hand smoke. I exhort everyone listening to discourage your children from taking up this addiction.

I hear vaping has it's own set of associated health problems, so discourage your children from taking up this addiction also.

Please?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My stepson took up smoking in the Navy because it was a recognized excuse for taking a break while on duty. Now he's hooked.

If you've read any of my other posts on smoking, you may remember that my father-in-law died from lung cancer, and my mother died slowly and horribly from emphysema. Both were heavy smokers. I also have a cousin who suffers from COPD due to exposure to second-hand smoke. I exhort everyone listening to discourage your children from taking up this addiction.

I hear vaping has it's own set of associated health problems, so discourage your children from taking up this addiction also.

Please?
@Lambano Thanks for your sober and constructive post.....

I guess you don't quite fit the poll criteria, although you could otherwise include your stepson....

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you don't quite fit the poll criteria, although you could otherwise include your stepson....
You're right, I'm DQ'd for being a non-smoker. And I encourage those of you out there who do smoke or vape to quit, ASAP.

I remember reading the warning on my mom's Chesterfields. "Mommy, what does 'The Surgeon General has declared that cigarette smoking can be hazardous to your health' mean?"

Reactions: TLHKAJ and farouk

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Occasionally some do, some don’t at all.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Please?
re: @farouk

I don't know too many smokers. My family are all Mormon and don't drink or use tobacco or drink coffee with the exception of my brother and his family but they don't smoke (my brother and me both chew tobacco) and my sister smokes.

My sister's daughter's father smokes and he recently developed COPD. He also has stomach cancer now, recently diagnosed.

My brother's mother in law smokes and she recently died, not sure what of though, she was old.

I recently tried to quit unsuccessfully :(

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should also add: I'm not a fan of people that say you're going to die from tobacco use as you could die in any number of ways throughout life, some worse than others, like a car-train-plane crash or house fire/explosion, etc. I would rather die some other way.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @Taken I don't lke to "moralize" against ppl smoking; but then if a young person is going to smoke and is determined to do so, then it better be entirely his or her decision....

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: @Taken I don't lke to "moralize" against ppl smoking; but then if a young person is going to smoke and is determined to do so, then it better be entirely his or her decision....

Sure.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken So do you think it's wise to give young ppl a hard time if you know they already smoke/vape? & has this contingency arisen among those close to you?

Hard time?
...Constant harping, probably a fail, likely alienation.

Strangers?
...Distance oneself from what one does not like.

Family/close ties?
...Largely depends on Specific ties and age.
...Family or Friend....Mature adult. Young adult. Child.
...Hard time as in Harping? No.
...Other methods? Yes.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hard time?
...Constant harping, probably a fail, likely alienation.

Strangers?
...Distance oneself from what one does not like.

Family/close ties?
...Largely depends on Specific ties and age.
...Family or Friend....Mature adult. Young adult. Child.
...Hard time as in Harping? No.
...Other methods? Yes.
@Taken You're quite right; the question was a bit vague....it depends who it is, right?

So did you see/vote in the poll?