So...confession.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the games i've showed so far and many of the games i plan to show are pirated. But i try to be a "moral" pirate by only torrenting abandonware, which is games that are no longer officially sold or supported by their creators at all. basically its free reign. Is this a sin?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the games i've showed so far and many of the games i plan to show are pirated. But i try to be a "moral" pirate by only torrenting abandonware, which is games that are no longer officially sold or supported by their creators at all. basically its free reign. Is this a sin?

Hmm, I suppose not if it's legal...?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt the Admins here would approve of this if it is not legal. Why don't you get permission from the creators?

Reactions: Nancy

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt the Admins here would approve of this if it is not legal. Why don't you get permission from the creators?
because that would talk time and money and it would be easier to just buy them legally in that case

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if it is funneled through this forum, they may be in trouble for copyright infringement. And if it is not legal, then isnt that stealing?
How much does it cost?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

If he got permission from the creators he may get in trouble, as he already downloaded pirated copies of the games, unless if he deletes them.

And I believe it's the creators decision whether to re-release them for free (legally) or paid.

As I said on the other thread though when it comes to Nintendo games though, if they catch anyone uploading illegal games, they can get fined massively and they will remove emulated games when they find them.

I will mention though.

There are legal ways to get some old Nintendo games though, you can buy them 2nd hand, and there also some classics that Nintendo have put up in the virtual console in the Nintendo eShop, if you have a 3ds, Wii U or Switch, that only cost a little bit of money, there are also the SNES classics and NES classics (which can be picked up for 2nd hand) and Mario and Zelda Game & Watches, as for PlayStation there is the PSOne classic, Sega also released some classic consoles a few years ago, but Sega also have games that they put on the Android play store which can be downloaded for free with ads or paid for to remove ads, most old games though can be bought 2nd hand.

From my understanding though, if a game has been put up for free without the creators permission, then it's most likely illegal.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture says to obey the laws of the land, so your question is whether it's a sin or not....yes it is. Anything gotten through ill-gotten gain becomes a burden to you.
“Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.”
— Proverbs 13:11 (KJV)

Jabre

Dec 22, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture says to obey the laws of the land, so your question is whether it's a sin or not....yes it is. Anything gotten through ill-gotten gain becomes a burden to you.
“Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.”
— Proverbs 13:11 (KJV)
so...can i still show them?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so...can i still show them?
I appreciate your honesty, but I don't want to be the one to tell you it's okay to go ahead and sin.
Are all of them pirated? Do you have any that aren't pirated?
I would be willing to pray and ask God to bless you with games given you through gifts, or that God would bless you with the money to buy them.
So in lieu of the information given, I have to make the right decision that's best for the forum. If you were allowed to post your videos and we have knowledge of them being pirated then that makes the forum an accessory to the crime.
So my answer is no.
I am sorry, Jabre, but for the sake of all we just cannot allow it.
I hope you choose to stick around.
Have a blessed evening
@lforrest @Rita @Angelina @pompadour @Josho

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I must admit I had the same concern. I had the same dilemma many years ago when my husband use to bring home films that were pirated. It put me, as a Christian, in a difficult place. I respect the fact that you were honest , and thank you for that as it’s not easy to do. However when we take that chance we have to be open to accept whatever it may bring. I agree with Heart2Soul, but sincerely hope you will give some space between what we say and any decisions you make.
I believe Josho had some advice about finding games that are not pirated, would that not be a better route to take ?
Rita