So, hey everyone!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking for a congenial Christian forum for some time. Recently, I've been having tussles with Mormons. That's fine; I like a good tussle, to get those little grey cells working. Unfortunately, they didn't see things quite the same way, and I have been frozen out.

So here I am. I regard myself as an undenominated Christian, what CS Lewis would have called a 'mere Christian'. He promises, towards the end of his book, that I would eventually find a denomination, and a spiritual home. Well it's been twenty years since I made the 'leap of faith', and I haven't found one yet.

These days, I have become attracted to philosophy. I try to explain it to myself in Christian terms, so it will not be surprising to you to discover that my favourite topics are philosophy of religion, ethics, and political philosophy.

Ambitions? Of course! I would like to see an end to absolute poverty, and humanity living comfortably within the ecological carrying capacity of Spaceship Earth. If I can play some small part in achieving this, I will be content that my life has not been entirely wasted.

Anyway, I look forward to discussing with you all.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy and amadeus

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hey, 2RM, welcome! There are other mere Christians here, me being one of them. I left my church in '98, bounced around until '08, and for 12 years I went without fellowship. It's been just over a year since the Lord led me here and well, here I am. What I do like about here is the motto: we are all works in progress. Hope your time here is profitable. Shalom.

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been looking for a congenial Christian forum for some time. Recently, I've been having tussles with Mormons. That's fine; I like a good tussle, to get those little grey cells working. Unfortunately, they didn't see things quite the same way, and I have been frozen out.

So here I am. I regard myself as an undenominated Christian, what CS Lewis would have called a 'mere Christian'. He promises, towards the end of his book, that I would eventually find a denomination, and a spiritual home. Well it's been twenty years since I made the 'leap of faith', and I haven't found one yet.

These days, I have become attracted to philosophy. I try to explain it to myself in Christian terms, so it will not be surprising to you to discover that my favourite topics are philosophy of religion, ethics, and political philosophy.

Ambitions? Of course! I would like to see an end to absolute poverty, and humanity living comfortably within the ecological carrying capacity of Spaceship Earth. If I can play some small part in achieving this, I will be content that my life has not been entirely wasted.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Welcome to CB.
---
We started..the book discussion (weekly).
- 'Mere Christianity' (C.S.Lewis)
- Zoom session/meeting.
---
Blessings,

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I maybe ought to add that I believe the closest definition of God we (humanity) have yet to arrive at would be the philosopher's 'omnimax' God; omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omni-benevolent, to cite a few of the more important omni's God can claim. A confession, therefore, is due: where this definition conflicts with scripture, I tend to the definition in preference to the scripture.

Best wishes, 2RM

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Best wishes, 2RM.
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: 2ndRateMind

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Best wishes, 2RM.
Hello
Nice to meet you
and welcome to the forum
HUGS

(I should change my name to "hugs a lot" )

:)

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia

Best wishes, 2RM.
Ever think of destroying Mormon churches? (Old Testament style)

Reactions: 2ndRateMind

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ever think of destroying Mormon churches? (Old Testament style)

No, I had not thought of that. On the whole, I am content to let the Mormons be the Latter Day Saints they think themselves to be. And further on the whole, I was tackling them about their politics, rather than their religious doctrine, and the deployment of the world's wealth, on the grounds that the wallet has become the most sensitive of all human organs. And how one deals with that is a sure way to find out where one's heart is.

It seems to me that they thought anyone who raised the topic, let alone thought the distribution of global wealth to be inequitable, was automatically a communist. I am hoping for better treatment, here.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
No, I had not thought of that. On the whole, I am content to let the Mormons be the Latter Day Saints they think themselves to be. And further on the whole, I was tackling them about their politics, rather than their religious doctrine, and the deployment of the world's wealth, on the grounds that the wallet has become the most sensitive of all human organs. And how one deals with that is a sure way to find out where one's heart is.

It seems to me that they thought anyone who raised the topic, let alone thought the distribution of global wealth to be inequitable, was automatically a communist. I am hoping for better treatment, here.

Best wishes, 2RM.
I know what you mean here, having to personally deal with the Mormon people because of a friend who was sucked into their church.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Nice to meet you
and welcome to the forum
HUGS

(I should change my name to "hugs a lot" )

:)

Thank you for your hug. I return the compliment. But honestly, a smile would do. I like it when people smile. It means that they have, briefly, put aside the cares and woes of life, and are living happily in the now.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your hug. I return the compliment. But honestly, a smile would do. I like it when people smile. It means that they have, briefly, put aside the cares and woes of life, and are living happily in the now.

Best wishes, 2RM.
:D

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums, 2ndRateMind!!

Have you read C.S Lewis' Screwtape Letters or The Great Divorce?

I'm a big fan of Lewis.

Reactions: marks

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wynona I guess I was thrown by his ideas on divorce; and by the cynicism of the Screwtape Letters. (Maybe others don't read him in the same light, though...)

Im not familiar on his stance on divorce.

The Screwtape Letters is indeed cynical. But I love it! I glean new things from it every time I read it.

Reactions: marks