Sola Scriptura - does this foundation make you a heretic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura (Lat., ‘by scripture alone’). The belief that the truths of Christian faith and practice can and must be established from scripture alone, without additions from, e.g., tradition or development.

Sola Scriptura was/is a founding principle for protestant Christians and is found as a principle in scripture itself;
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything I know about God has come from the scriptures.

If you're a heretic then so am I.

Reactions: Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
peoples views I could be considered a heretic?
Those who call people Heretics are usually the worst ones, but as Job said, teh bible can teach you "about" God to know God well you have to go to Him, there is no other way.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything I know about God has come from the scriptures.
If you're a heretic then so am I.

There are a number of current religious sects that demand that a "Christian" must accept specific tenets (that you can't find in scripture) or else you are not considered a Christian nor can you be saved and would thus be labeled a heretic.

Can anyone name any of those specific tenets?

Last edited:

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are a number of current religious sects that demand that a "Christian" must accept specific tenets that you can't find in scripture or else you are not considered a Christian nor can you be saved and would thus be labeled a heretic.

This verse is tailor-made for those religious sects.

Matthew 5
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

No doubt many of them will hear these words: "I never knew you".

o

Reactions: michaelvpardo

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura (Lat., ‘by scripture alone’). The belief that the truths of Christian faith and practice can and must be established from scripture alone, without additions from, e.g., tradition or development.

Sola Scriptura was/is a founding principle for protestant Christians and is found as a principle in scripture itself;
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?

its been my experience in debates sola scripture is a fav of catholic terms when addressing protestant views. thing is the none catholic position really is; if it don't jive with scripture, then it ain't true. of which the Catholics declare as sola scripture which is a misnomer. usually to save face when they loss an argument.

one's walk with the Lord isn't scripture only, it is verified and or affirmed in scripture only. therefore if it don't match scripture there is a problem with it, in the case of the Lord God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ. because friend, our Faith is the same Faith of Abraham, and if you are not experiencing that same Faith, maybe corrections should be made.

but there is no allowance for the adding to, or taking away from scripture for that very reason, correction. and correction to what, if scripture doesn't remain intact, and adhered to, as what is correct?

and anything outside of that can lead to heresy, and people trying to force the scriptures to fit their own thinking. you know the "take it out of context guys", a lot like media does.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
one's walk with the Lord isn't scripture only, it is verified and or affirmed in scripture only. therefore if it don't match scripture there is a problem with it, in the case of the Lord God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ. because friend, our Faith is the same Faith of Abraham, and if you are not experiencing that same Faith, maybe corrections should be made.

Abraham was spoken to through words from God given by a messenger. We / most do not have that luxury. Scripture is God's introduction to their creation since their creation cannot see or experience them directly until they decide to come to them. It s through his inspired word that he draws those people in that did not grasp God on their own. It was the written word sent through the apostles that was given to the whole world. If it were not for the Jew's being the oracles of God through inspired and written words then how would man find God?
God has a purpose for communication via the written word. For me Sola Scriptura means that everything I need to find God is within the words he has directed me to live by "thou shalt live by every word of the mouth of God" and if God chooses to reveal themselves to me then I will obey any of the words given then too.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was the written word sent through the apostles that was given to the whole world
Now this is a lie,

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Jesus went back to God so that we all could receive the spirit of truth, the new Wine, the best saved till last, yet denied and rejected by men.

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

As Jesus said to Peter

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

and

Mat_11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

It is the only way we can know God, there is no other.

You cannot get revelation from reading teh bible it comes from God alone.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now this is a lie,

Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Jesus went back to God so that we all could receive the spirit of truth, the new Wine, the best saved till last, yet denied and rejected by men.

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

As Jesus said to Peter

Mat_16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

and

Mat_11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

It is the only way we can know God, there is no other.

You cannot get revelation from reading teh bible it comes from God alone.

Correct me if I am in error, but the even the Apostle Paul did not have a personal face to face encounter with Jesus (as you claim to have). He definitely received it "...by the revelation of Jesus Christ." Something like a vision.

So, the Bible is the revelation of God. A personal Jesus is not needed to receive revelation from God.

Reactions: GodsGrace

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A personal Jesus is not needed to receive revelation from God.
Sorry, what personal, Jesus, Jesus belongs to all, revelation comes from God, not from reading Books, Life come from Hearing His words not reading, without Him you have nothing, All reading does is fill your head with mens wisdom and knowledge. Have you ever wondered why Jesus choose teh empty vessels prepared for God to put the water in to turn into wine.

!, Because they where vessels prepared for God
2. They where empty
2. He had them filled.
4. He saved the best wine till last. That best wine is the Holy Spirit given to all who believe.

Why so many prefer teh old to teh knew ill never know.

It never ended with teh bible, thats when men stopped listening.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abraham was spoken to through words from God given by a messenger. We / most do not have that luxury. Scripture is God's introduction to their creation since their creation cannot see or experience them directly until they decide to come to them. It s through his inspired word that he draws those people in that did not grasp God on their own. It was the written word sent through the apostles that was given to the whole world. If it were not for the Jew's being the oracles of God through inspired and written words then how would man find God?
God has a purpose for communication via the written word. For me Sola Scriptura means that everything I need to find God is within the words he has directed me to live by "thou shalt live by every word of the mouth of God" and if God chooses to reveal themselves to me then I will obey any of the words given then too.

well the bible maybe your god, but the bible isn't the God of Israel nor the Creator and Judge. its simply the documentation of a peoples relationship with their God. and if you seek the same God it affirms your are, or are not.

what "sola whatever" means to you isn't what matters, is it? you don't have the exclusive truth. the Truth of God is the same for all.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well the bible maybe your god, but the bible isn't the God of Israel nor the Creator and Judge. its simply the documentation of a peoples relationship with their God. and if you seek the same God it affirms your are, or are not.
what "sola whatever" means to you isn't what matters, is it? you don't have the exclusive truth. the Truth of God is the same for all.

The bible is the inspired word of God do you disagree?
The bible itself is not God
Christ instructed us to live by every word of God do you disagree?
People that check what they are told against scripture were commended do you disagree?

Acts 17:11These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Without the words of God in written form what would you know about God?

Reactions: GodsGrace and Job

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are or are not what?

Mind explaining that?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Perhaps you could tell us what that truth is and how you found it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Acts 17:11These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

ah, good point, and ty for another v that contrasts the Word and the Scriptures, even if that is not what you meant to do. And understand i am not meaning to gloat here or whatever, but this is a great passage for understanding the relationship imo. We "receive the word with readiness," and then we search the Scriptures daily to test whether they (the Word that we received) were so (or not, iow)

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Need I even reply? Look at my prof. Pic and tell me what you think

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ah, good point, and ty for another v that contrasts the Word and the Scriptures, even if that is not what you meant to do. And understand i am not meaning to gloat here or whatever, but this is a great passage for understanding the relationship imo. We "receive the word with readiness," and then we search the Scriptures daily to test whether they (the Word that we received) were so (or not, iow)
If the word is not the Bible, then what is it?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is the inspired word of God do you disagree?
The bible itself is not God
Christ instructed us to live by every word of God do you disagree?
People that check what they are told against scripture were commended do you disagree?

what did the early Christians know about God back when there were very little if none to read, just how did they come to know God? there were no bibles you can go down the street and buy. how does those in countries that did and do persecute and burn bibles know God? how did Enoch and Noah and Abraham know God how did the Priest of the Most High God in Abraham's day know God how did Moses know God? how do evangelicals get people to know God, do they tell them to read the bible first?

you give me this guff about your need for scriptures but yet you don't seem to pay attention to what those who wrote in it said and did.

to know God is the Presence of God with you, the bible is available so that you can see that its true or not. just what do you think the Spirit of God is anyway? didn't Jesus say God is a Spirit, hence wouldn't that tell you that being born of Spirit as Jesus says in John 3 is to be in the Presence of God seeing He is Spirit? the men who wrote the scriptures walked with God hence in His Presence in His Spirit, hence the scripture are inspired by Spirit. really just how do you think the writers of the bible knew God anyway? hence if you don't know God as they know God because it is supposed to be the same God, then you just might have a problem, and don't really know God.

knowing the bible doesn't mean anything without the Presence of God, because Satan knows that book better than most, and he's no saint, nor follower of Jesus is he?

but again if what you think, think you know, or are experiencing that doesn't jive with scripture then you maybe out of sorts in your understanding of the God of Israel in the name of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@DPMartin Yay...excellent post! Totally agree.
But, it can either 'be seen' or it remains unseen.
Just like the endless Faith v works' and 'we must keep the commandments and reach perfection' crowed...they seem to be in every gathering.
Like salvation...how can you get eyes open who cannot see.
Like faith...it cannot be imparted.

Now ..does God's Spirit open 'some' eyes to see these things, but not others,
or are they so steeped in what they already believe ( or have been told to believe) that they refuse to see?