Sola scriptura?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola scriptura?

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, andspeak face to face, that our joy may be full.

2 Corinthians 1:15
And in this confidence I was minded to come unto you before, that ye might have a second benefit;

if an apostle teaches by:

Smoke signals
Sign language
Radio
TV
Internet or
In person

we refuse to accept it!

But if he writes it down then and only then will we believe!

even though the content is exactly the same!

the apostles themselves have no authority!
Only what the write!!!!

fundamentalism is faith without reason, logic, or rational thought!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola scriptura?

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, andspeak face to face, that our joy may be full.

And in this confidence I was minded to come unto you before, that ye might have a second benefit;

Smoke signals
Sign language
Radio
TV
Internet or
In person

we refuse to accept it!

Only what the write!!!!

Sola Scripture suggests to me people aren't willing to get to know God and learn from him.
On the other hand, God and Jesus are both quoted frequently in the Bible, and they weren't talking just to hear themselves talk.

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Word of God is the standard for truth …. Without it… you have no standard to measure against ….in which case…. anything goes.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any one’s own interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

If I didn’t believe those scripture ….I wouldn’t be here….That and the fact that over the many years, the research I have done leave no doubt… that the precision and accuracy of this Word of God is not the works of man…

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Word of God is the standard for truth …. Without it… you have no standard to measure against ….in which case…. anything goes.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any one’s own interpretation.

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

If I didn’t believe those scripture ….I wouldn’t be here….That and the fact that over the many years, the research I have done leave no doubt… that the precision and accuracy of this Word of God is not the works of man…
@Tommy Cool Great texts there about the Word............

Reactions: Tommy Cool

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

scripture yes!
Scripture alone no!

is the word of God limited to the Protestant Bible alone?

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
scripture yes!
Scripture alone no!

Jhn 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.

That is what God thinks of His Word …And if the Bible is God breathed …. when we promote the church fathers, creeds or religious tradition, above or even on the same level as the written Word….. Are you not declaring yourself to be wiser than God?

I have run into far too many people who talk about the church fathers….. And, no doubt…. you can glean some great information from the writings. …but they’re from man…no different, from you or me. And while we may write things that line up with the Word of God…. I would never state that my words were theopneustos “God breathed Words” …and I doubt you would either.

Many times, i have spoken with those who promote religious tradition or the writings of the church fathers ….at the end of the day…they will elevate those things above the Word …even if it contradicts the Word.

As for the Apocrypha … That is something I had to check out for myself…. I had to determine why they were not included …After reading them, it was quite evident to me ….these were not something inspired by God. There were several reasons why I determined that…. including several contradictions to the Protestant Bibles….. But I think that is something people need to check on their own.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Absolutely. Not a single one of the so-called "Deuterocanonical books" is divinely inspired. Jesus Himself limited the Tanakh (OT) to 24 books as found in printed Hebrew bibles: (1) Torah (the Law of Moses) (5 books), Nevim (the Prophets) (8 books), and (3) Ketuvim (the Psalms or the Writings) (11 books). These 24 books are an exact replica of the 39 books found in Protestant bibles. The larger number is because many books were split, but their contents remain the same. For example Kings and Chronicles are single books in the Hebrew.

Reactions: atpollard and Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scripture suggests to me people aren't willing to get to know God and learn from him.
On the other hand, God and Jesus are both quoted frequently in the Bible, and they weren't talking just to hear themselves talk.

This makes no sense. What does believing that the Bible is God's truth, as opposed to the teachings of men, have to do with getting to know God and learning from him?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola scriptura?

Smoke signals
Sign language
Radio
TV
Internet or
In person

we refuse to accept it!

Only what the write!!!!

Catholicism is faith without reason, logic, or rational thought!

As usual, the rest of your post makes zero sense.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This makes no sense. What does believing that the Bible is God's truth, as opposed to the teachings of men, have to do with getting to know God and learning from him?
Doesn't make sense? I'll try to explain more carefully:

I think my first statement was clear: "Sola Scripture suggests to me people aren't willing to get to know God and learn from him."

As for my other statement, "On the other hand, God and Jesus are both quoted frequently in the Bible, and they weren't talking just to hear themselves talk," God and Jesus are quoted frequently in the Bible, and we should do as they instructed us.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if you cooked up something not in the bible or dealt with in the bible, that is OK? How about if it does not agree with the bible?

Lk 3:2 the word of God came unto John
Did a book fall from the sky?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. Not a single one of the so-called "Deuterocanonical books" is divinely inspired. Jesus Himself limited the Tanakh (OT) to 24 books as found in printed Hebrew bibles: (1) Torah (the Law of Moses) (5 books), Nevim (the Prophets) (8 books), and (3) Ketuvim (the Psalms or the Writings) (11 books). These 24 books are an exact replica of the 39 books found in Protestant bibles. The larger number is because many books were split, but their contents remain the same. For example Kings and Chronicles are single books in the Hebrew.

Lk 3:2 the word of God came unto John
Did a book fall out of the sky?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is Jesus not the word? Did Jesus not promise to bring things to their remembrance? Did you think that meant it had to snow?

So you reject the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” good what about the other heretical sola’s?

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Smoke signals
Sign language
Radio
TV
Internet or
In person

we refuse to accept it!
Have you really been getting messages from Apostles via:
  • Smoke signals
  • Sign language
  • Radio
  • TV
  • Internet
  • In person
Which Apostle was it and what did they say?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you reject the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” good what about the other heretical sola’s?

It is you who rejects the doctrine of "Bible alone". You believe just what your priests tell you. Unlike yourself, some of us seek the truth of God, not the inventions of men.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is you who rejects the doctrine of "Bible alone". You believe just what your priests tell you. Unlike yourself, some of us seek the truth of God, not the inventions of men.
Bereans or bust!!!

Reactions: Matthias

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you really been getting messages from Apostles via:
  • Smoke signals
  • Sign language
  • Radio
  • TV
  • Internet
  • In person
Which Apostle was it and what did they say?

why do you only accept the teaching of Christ authorized apostles when it is in written form?

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

not scripture alone!

Acts 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

The eunuch had scripture God sent and apostle to teach him!

We cannot read scriptures and decide doctrine for ourselves according to scripture we must be “taught”!

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Acts 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Acts 18:25
This man was instructed in the way of the Lord;

1 thes 4:6 That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

where does it say the “Bible alone”???