Some Serious Spiritual Drinking Desired

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
A little over thirty years ago I was given medical advice to drink more water. I was told that the nature of my outdoor work was such that if I didn't rehydrate regularly I would continue to suffer the painful health problems that had led to my seeking medical attention. I am now fastidious about my fluid intake and as a result I enjoy freedom from the harmful effects of dehydration.

That's the physical drinking sorted, but what about spiritual drinking?

There are numerous verses in the Bible that speak of this, and so I believe it is God's desire for His People to continue doing some serious spiritual drinking.

It's an abstract concept that genuine Christians accept by faith, trusting the Holy Spirit to supply us with the water of life.

I'm not keen on being whipped into a frenzy about anything spiritual. Instead I prefer to be determined about receiving blessings rather than being desperate for them as some are want to be, with various behaviours and exhibitions in evidence. There may be some debate about this so here's some scripture reference material.

He leads me beside the still waters . . .Ps.23:2

Therefore with joy you will draw water From the wells of salvation. Is. 12:3

Joh 4:13-14
Jesus answered and said to her, "Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, (14) but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life."

Joh 7:37-39
On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. (38) He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." (39) But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Still a problem . . .

Jer 2:13 "For My people have committed two evils: They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, And hewn themselves cisterns—broken cisterns that can hold no water.

. . . and yet they are still referred to as "My people".