Song/video that I would like your opinion on

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hello there,

Above is the link to a song, 'The Sound of Silence', performed by a group called 'Disturbed'. When I heard it, it made a strong impact on me, and the wording brought God to my mind. I would like to hear what others think of it, please.

Thank you
With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello there,

Above is the link to a song, 'The Sound of Silence', performed by a group called 'Disturbed'. When I heard it, it made a strong impact on me, and the wording brought God to my mind. I would like to hear what others think of it, please.

Thank you
Chris
I prefer Simon and Garfunkel's recording....this guys video is kind of creepy.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello there,

Thank you
Chris

Hey Charity. The words are very heavy, so it's maybe only fitting that a very heavy group like Disturbed would do a remake of it.

There are scriptural references that could be tied to the theme. It's about the price of superficiality in society, when no one is truly communicating what is in their heart. Scripture commands us to love "without hypocrisy," which means where nothing is fake, but to confess our faults and weaknesses to one another that we might be healed. Real love isn't superficial, and scripture says they will know us by our love for one another.

It's why I'm real about my feelings and thoughts, and sharing the real me, even if embarrassingly so on occasions. This business of never revealing ourselves is indeed a kind of cancer that spreads, and eats away at the hope of ever truly understanding one another and ever truly being understood.

R

Rita

Hi Charity,
I saw this video some months ago, but cannot remember how I saw it or why. It’s a very powerful video. I mean I have always liked the song anyway, but with the images and deeper voice being projected it a kind of seems prophetic in some ways...........
Rita

Reactions: Nancy and charity

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A blast from my past. I can see where it could represent scripture if you wanted it to. The Jay Sekulow Band plays old standards, while Jay explained his interpretations of them. Shalom

Reactions: Nancy and charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Hidden In Him, @Ron Coates, @Heart2Soul, @Hidden In Him, @Rita,

Thank you for your comments on this rendering of "The Sound Of Silence". It is very powerful, I agree, and has that prophetic quality, as you say. The last three verses had me in tears, because of the rage expressed at 'the Neon god that they had made'. I felt that the words, "Hear my words that I might teach you, Take my arms that I might reach you," could so easily be a cry from God's heart, because people are hearing, but not listening.

Thank you for your explanation, @Hidden In Him. I agree with your summation.

Thank you again,
In Christ Jesus
Chris

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I heard it, it made a strong impact on me, and the wording brought God to my mind. I would like to hear what others think of it, please.
I listened to it before, but since I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics, I didn't make any spiritual connection. Now that you mention it though...

*It seems to me that it speaks of someone who is ignorant of God (in darkness, his old friend), that receives a vision (a spiritual word, a ray of light) that leaves an imprint within his otherwise hardened heart that silences everything. The sound of silence is that inner deadening caused by spiritual insensitivity.

Under the dim light of human reasoning (street lamp), this life seems like a restless dream, without meaning and lonely. Until the neon light of the Gospel (or Christ) stabs our understanding and splits the night of our ignorance, and softens our heart with His touch.

In that neon light he can now see (with empathy) the people around him and their tragic condition. How, despite their outward interactions they are isolated and prisoners of their hardened hearts.

Fools, he says, hear my words and believe Christ, stretch your arms in prayer so that Christ can reach you (and give you hearts of flesh instead of stone), but his words, like silent raindrops, echo in their hardened hearts (wells) as if on deaf ears.

Instead the people bow and pray to the neon god they made. Nevertheless, the light of the Gospel still flashes and the words of the prophets are still proclaimed in subways and halls, whispering the truth, trying to break the sound of silence…

_____
* Each paragraph interprets the respective stanza.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@icxn

Thank you for expressing your thoughts on this. I was doubtful that I should have entered it, because it is not a Christian song, but I wanted to know if it would generate in others similar thoughts to my own.

Chris

Reactions: Nancy

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was doubtful that I should have entered it, because it is not a Christian song
If an idol (Acts of the Apostles 17:23) served to introduce Christ to the Athenians, why not this song? All it takes is a little purity of heart and the disposition to always seek for the good in everything:

Someone told me of an extraordinarily high degree of purity. He said: ‘A certain man, on seeing a beautiful woman, thereupon glorified the Creator, and from that one look he was moved to the love of God and to a fountain of tears. And it was wonderful to see how what would have been a cause of destruction for one was for another the supernatural cause of a crown.’ If such a person always feels and behaves in the same way on similar occasions, then he has risen immortal before the general resurrection. - Ladder of Divine Ascent

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Charity,
I saw this video some months ago, but cannot remember how I saw it or why. It’s a very powerful video. I mean I have always liked the song anyway, but with the images and deeper voice being projected it a kind of seems prophetic in some ways...........
Rita
@Rita Sometimes things can be conveyed at various levels.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello there,

Thank you
Chris
I have no interest in listening to it, as I find nothing in it to edify me. That's just me. It is a very impactful video I think. Music and imagery can have a profound influence on our minds and emotions.

With many songs, including "Christian" music, we can impose our own thoughts onto the lyrics, for a much different experience.

Something produced from a pseudo-spirituality can trigger spiritual thoughts in the spiritual.

For myself, I like to hold to as clear a message going into my brain as I can.

Much love!

Reactions: charity and Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have no interest in listening to it, as I find nothing in it to edify me. That's just me. It is a very impactful video I think. Music and imagery can have a profound influence on our minds and emotions.

With many songs, including "Christian" music, we can impose our own thoughts onto the lyrics, for a much different experience.

Something produced from a pseudo-spirituality can trigger spiritual thoughts in the spiritual.

For myself, I like to hold to as clear a message going into my brain as I can.

Much love!
The relationship between lyrics and music - and indeed video versions - can truly be many faceted, I think.