SONS OF GOD, WHO ARE THEY?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people say that the sons of God are angels, is that right or wrong?
I am of the opinion that they were Angels and that this verse is in reference to them...

Jude 1:6
"And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day"

I am not a fan of the 'Line of Seth' teachings since the Bible describes their offspring as literal Giants.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. They are angels (fallen)

This was to happen after the flood also, so if sons of Seth, how could they produce giants like Goliath when no sons of Cain were not killed in the flood? It is only reasonable that not all the fallen angels produced offspring the first time around and wound up in chains, so other fallen angels did.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
I am of the opinion that they were Angels and that this verse is in reference to them...

Jude 1:6
"And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day"

I am not a fan of the 'Line of Seth' teachings since the Bible describes their offspring as literal Giants.
The angels that chose to go with Lucifer left their first estate, as I figure it.

Anyway I think I can show you it was Adam that was the son of God.
Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

If Adam was the son of God, then Adam's boys would be grandsons of God, right?

Now we look at this scripture:
Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
Son's of God, Adam and his sons, came to present themselves and Satan just came along.

Now this is what I want to point out
Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
The 'sons of God' saw the 'daughters of men'
Sons of God saw the daughters of men, not daughters of God. Do you see it?

The sons of God would have seen their sisters every day, it is saying they saw these daughters of men and were fair and they took them wives.

Sons of God, Adam and his sons.
Daughters of men, those would be daughters of mankind created in Gen 1.

Two creations, Gen 1(mankind) and Gen 2(Adam, son of God)

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1. You should have added "as mentioned in the Old Testament". And that is correct. Angels are "sons of God" in the sense that they are direct creations of God, just as Adam is called "the son of God" (in the NT) since he too was a direct creation of God.

2. But when we come to the New Testament, Jesus is presented as the UNIQUE Son of God -- "the only begotten of the Father". The Greek word monogenes means "uniquely begotten" and applies only to the eternal Son of God (who is the eternal Word of God, who is now the Lord Jesus Christ). There is no mother involved, so this was a unique Father-Son relationship within the Godhead. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all distinct from each other, yet one God.

3. Then we have all the children of God through the supernatural New Birth called "sons of God" in the New Testament, while at the same time angels are simply called angels. And because of the New Birth the status of the sons of God remains the same for eternity. They are also called heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ.

4. Genesis 6 reveals that evil angels had intercourse with human women and produced Nephilim (or giants) who were also "men of renown". These angels crossed the line, therefore they are now chained in the darkness of Tartarus, awaiting their final judgment. They are called "the angels which kept not their first estate" or "the angels which sinned", and they are mentioned in the context of sexual immorality in 2 Peter and Jude. They are described in the pseudepigraphical book of Enoch, which is not regarded as Scripture by most Christians, but is regarded as inspired by some.

5. All the pagan mythologies have accounts of superhuman men, and thus it would appear that those "men of renown" entered into those mythologies.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The angels that chose to go with Lucifer left their first estate, as I figure it.

Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
Son's of God, Adam and his sons, came to present themselves and Satan just came along.

Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

The sons of God would have seen their sisters every day, it is saying they saw these daughters of men and were fair and they took them wives.

So the question remains that I asked in my first post. How did this happen again afterwards? Noah and his sons were then of the sons of God in your theory. All the mankind were dead. Who could have escaped the flood? The only possible answer would be some of the fallen angels that weren't involved the first time.

Genesis 6:
4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Base12

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pastor Mike Hoggard does an excellent job in this video series going into great detail regarding this subject...

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people are wrong no matter what they say,

and especially if they twist God's Word to say what it does not say.

Yes, angels, messengers of God, have been called in His Word sons of God.

No, angels have never taken women as wives on earth, nor ever will they.

Foolish people came up with stories/ myths, that are not from Scripture.

Others , not necessarily foolish on purpose, believed some things because they heard them first.

If they knew the Bible, they would not have believed them at all, and would never have listened to them.

But they were not hearing the Bible first. They did not read the Bible first, nor receive the understanding from God the Father.

They were not trained in the way they should go, so when they got older, they had no protection, per se, from the errors they were told.

They heard the errors, with tickled ears they listened, and with strange fire/ strange feelings (not of God), they believed the errors which are now widespread... (and posted in this forum).

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus makes it very clear He is the first and last.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“Sons Of God, who are they?” Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Was Paul not a Son of God? A messenger Galatians 4:14 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 11:18-19 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. [19] For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

2 Corinthians 5:11-12, Ephesians 5:13-14, 1 John 3:10

Reactions: Waiting on him

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. They are angels (fallen)

This was to happen after the flood also, so if sons of Seth, how could they produce giants like Goliath when no sons of Cain were not killed in the flood? It is only reasonable that not all the fallen angels produced offspring the first time around and wound up in chains, so other fallen angels did.

I agree that the sons of God in Genesis 6 are Angels, but I don't think there was a second time the Angels had sexual relations with the daughters of man.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I disagree, sons of God in Genesis 6:1, Job 1:1, Job 2:1 are Angels. I've never seen the phrase daughters of God in the scriptures. So for you to say like that phrase is scriptural, I can't go along with that. Also I see no two creations in the first two chapters of Genesis. Chapter 1 & 2 of Genesis is speaking of the same creation.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question remains that I asked in my first post. How did this happen again afterwards? Noah and his sons were then of the sons of God in your theory. All the mankind were dead. Who could have escaped the flood? The only possible answer would be some of the fallen angels that weren't involved the first time.

Genesis 6:
4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them.

It seems to me that you're trying to say that the phrase, "and also afterward" is to be applied to the people who survived the flood and that's not how that phrase should be viewed.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... and fallen angels, fell.
They NEVER took women as their wives.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hebrews 1:5 KJV
For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that the sons of God in Genesis 6 are Angels, but I don't think there was a second time the Angels had sexual relations with the daughters of man.

Remember Goliath? This is the reason why God wanted the Israelites to kill every man, woman and child in some nations. They were Nephilim.

Genesis 6:

4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that you're trying to say that the phrase, "and also afterward" is to be applied to the people who survived the flood and that's not how that phrase should be viewed.

Those who survived the flood, Noah and his family were all human. It was later

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember Goliath? This is the reason why God wanted the Israelites to kill every man, woman and child in some nations. They were Nephilim.

Genesis 6:

4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
Hebrews 1:5 KJV
For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

I can't wait to see how you'll put the spin on this one

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who survived the flood, Noah and his family were all human. It was later

I know that Noah and his family were the only survivors of the flood, and were all human. What I was saying is, that you saying that the sons of God mated with the daughters of men again, is not anywhere stated in the scriptures. You using the phrase, "and also afterward," to state that Angels again mated with the daughters of men and producing the nephilim again, is in error. The nephilim died in the flood.
Goliath was a mercenary fighting for the philistines. Goliath himself was of the large tribe people called the Raphiam he wasn't of the people called nephilim, as I said, all of the nephilim died in flood. There is no evidence in the scriptures that, Angels again mated with the daughters of men and the nephilim being produced from this union, isn't not backed up with scripture. You using the phrase, "and also afterward," as you're doing doesn't prove this happened sometime in the future again.