South Australia goes 100% solar power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here's to all the people saying it couldn't be done. South Australia is the first major jurisdiction in the world to go 100% solar.

All of South Australia's power comes from solar panels in world first for major jurisdiction

South Australia's renewable energy boom has achieved a global milestone.

Key points:

• All of SA's power came from solar for one hour on October 11
  • The generation of too much solar power can create grid instability
  • A new interconnector planned with NSW will help manage the growth of solar power
The state once known for not having enough power has become the first major jurisdiction in the world to be powered entirely by solar energy.

For just over an hour on Sunday, October 11, 100 per cent of energy demand was provided by solar panels alone.

"This is truly a phenomenon in the global energy landscape," Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) chief executive Audrey Zibelman said.

"Never before has a jurisdiction the size of South Australia been completely run by solar power, with consumers' rooftop solar systems contributing 77 per cent."

Large-scale solar farms, like the ones operating at Tailem Bend and Port Augusta, provided the other 23 per cent.

Any excess power generated by gas and wind farms on that day was stored in batteries or exported to Victoria via the interconnector.

For the full article click here. Source.
World first as all of South Australia's power comes from solar panels

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was drawn to this line:

Energy regulators say without careful management, grid stability could be at risk if there is more electricity going in than coming out.
When I lived in South Carolina, I learned that they very cleverly stored excess electricity derived from nuclear power by pumping water up into a lake at night. Then when demand increased during the day, the water came back down going through hydroelectric generators.

There may be other ways to store excess capacity too. If winters are cold, you could heat water in underground tanks in the summer time and by using electricity; and when it's cold, reverse the flow of the water pump. Each house with solar panels could theoretically do this. It would cost a lot initially, but you would wind up paying nothing for heating.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

rjs330

Aug 3, 2020
Belgrade
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think there are too many people saying it cannot be done. I think most of the folks are questioning the cost vs reward at this time. Much still needs to be worked out and this is a good step in the right direction.

I think most people including myself are concerned about the rush to make it happen. One hour is nothing when when you consider the number of hours in a year. BUT one hour is an important first step. You can't get a full year without that first step of one hour.

I do believe we will move that direction eventually as we are always trying to find ways to improve. But let's not rush it before working out all the problems and solving them first. We have a very long way to go.

But it is a good step.

Reactions: Nancy and Giuliano

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think there are too many people saying it cannot be done. I think most of the folks are questioning the cost vs reward at this time. Much still needs to be worked out and this is a good step in the right direction.

I think most people including myself are concerned about the rush to make it happen. One hour is nothing when when you consider the number of hours in a year. BUT one hour is an important first step. You can't get a full year without that first step of one hour.

I do believe we will move that direction eventually as we are always trying to find ways to improve. But let's not rush it before working out all the problems and solving them first. We have a very long way to go.

But it is a good step.

Hi Rj,
I do believe you got the main issue correct. I and several others wanted to do the solar panels on our houses but, when we found what they cost...we couldn't afford it. And, even if we could we'd probably be dead and gone before we were to see any savings benefit. My electric is pretty low with two of us here, they run about 45 dollars...and that is with the air conditioners. Sure do wish they could find a way to make them cheaper.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rj,
I do believe you got the main issue correct. I and several others wanted to do the solar panels on our houses but, when we found what they cost...we couldn't afford it. And, even if we could we'd probably be dead and gone before we were to see any savings benefit. My electric is pretty low with two of us here, they run about 45 dollars...and that is with the air conditioners. Sure do wish they could find a way to make them cheaper.
Did you check out the incentives programs? You live in New York?

2020 New York Solar Incentives, Tax Credits & Rebates | EnergySage

It looks very complicated. But there are some programs that you can make money at if your panels are making more electricity than you use; and then there are federal and state tax credits too.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you check out the incentives programs? You live in New York?

2020 New York Solar Incentives, Tax Credits & Rebates | EnergySage

It looks very complicated. But there are some programs that you can make money at if your panels are making more electricity than you use; and then there are federal and state tax credits too.

Thanks G.
I know a pastor who works with one of the companies and he is their most successful sales guy. I really like him and his family very much. I will check out your link and, thank you. :)

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Giuliano

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It should also be possible to have more sophisticated inverters that regulate power to the grid from households, so it doesn't go too far over voltage.

The dams are also a good way to store power. This is big in Switzerland.

Ive heard Simple cycle turbines can also take the output of the compressors to store for later. This allows for efficiency gain during peak hours at the cost of efficiency when demand is low.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's to all the people saying it couldn't be done. South Australia is the first major jurisdiction in the world to go 100% solar.

All of South Australia's power comes from solar panels in world first for major jurisdiction

South Australia's renewable energy boom has achieved a global milestone.

Key points:

• All of SA's power came from solar for one hour on October 11
  • The generation of too much solar power can create grid instability
  • A new interconnector planned with NSW will help manage the growth of solar power
The state once known for not having enough power has become the first major jurisdiction in the world to be powered entirely by solar energy.

For just over an hour on Sunday, October 11, 100 per cent of energy demand was provided by solar panels alone.

"This is truly a phenomenon in the global energy landscape," Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) chief executive Audrey Zibelman said.

"Never before has a jurisdiction the size of South Australia been completely run by solar power, with consumers' rooftop solar systems contributing 77 per cent."

Large-scale solar farms, like the ones operating at Tailem Bend and Port Augusta, provided the other 23 per cent.

Any excess power generated by gas and wind farms on that day was stored in batteries or exported to Victoria via the interconnector.

For the full article click here. Source.
World first as all of South Australia's power comes from solar panels

The only thing that concerns me is maintenance of cleaning the solar panels on the roof. I mean, I really don't want to get on a roof and clean panels.

But this is great news!

Reactions: Josho

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The only thing that concerns me is maintenance of cleaning the solar panels on the roof. I mean, I really don't want to get on a roof and clean panels.

But this is great news!

People with chimneys need to get them cleaned as well, to prevent chimney fires. Could have people that go around and do it, and people would pay because dirty solar means they produce less and they would have to start paying more electric.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People with chimneys need to get them cleaned as well, to prevent chimney fires. Could have people that go around and do it, and people would pay because dirty solar means they produce less and they would have to start paying more electric.

That sounds better, I think I'd fall off the roof trying to clean the panels :eek:

Reactions: Josho

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It cannot be done... South Australia is not powered 100% by solar... Read the article and it says...

"For just over an hour on Sunday, October 11, 100% of energy demand was met by solar panels alone."

South Australia ran 100% solar but only for one hour on October 11... Solar power only makes up 16% of the states power...

South-Australia-electricity-generation-by-fuel-type.png

For all its wind and solar power, South Australia is paying a very high price for electricity.
They are paying the most in the western world, 3 times more than the USA
sa-highest-power-costs-table.png

So then... The title for this thread should be "South Australia goes 100% solar power for one hour"

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even marine batteries need replacing/refurbishing every 5 years or so.

The pumping of water uphill is a fairly good means of storing power...the first here locally is outside of Chattanooga TN at a facility called racoon mountain.

This came about because the alternators are so large and heavy they can't make a set of bearings that will support the weight without denting or getting out of round. So they have to keep producing electricity and the excess overnight is used to pump water uphill to the top of a mountain and released when more power is needed during peak demand times.

Usually many alternators are put into sync with each other and producing a clean sine wave.

For those who don't know the difference...

A generator has coils move around magnets that produces electricity.

An alternator has magnets that move around the coils.

Kinda scary to have megawatts spinning about at 500/KVA.

Reactions: lforrest

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Even marine batteries need replacing/refurbishing every 5 years or so.

The pumping of water uphill is a fairly good means of storing power...the first here locally is outside of Chattanooga TN at a facility called racoon mountain.

This came about because the alternators are so large and heavy they can't make a set of bearings that will support the weight without denting or getting out of round. So they have to keep producing electricity and the excess overnight is used to pump water uphill to the top of a mountain and released when more power is needed during peak demand times.

Usually many alternators are put into sync with each other and producing a clean sine wave.

For those who don't know the difference...

A generator has coils move around magnets that produces electricity.

An alternator has magnets that move around the coils.

Kinda scary to have megawatts spinning about at 500/KVA.

Talk about scary, hydrogen cooled generators can explode, and the rotor fly through... anything really. Like a runaway train.

A single indoor steam pipe break can instantly kill everyone in a building.

And that is just conventional power plants. Not to mention nuclear.

Reactions: JohnDB

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Talk about scary, hydrogen cooled generators can explode, and the rotor fly through... anything really. Like a runaway train.

I think that's why star trek moved to dilithium crystals, lol ;)

No it's just a fact, they even have a wiki page: Dilithium (Star Trek) - Wikipedia

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You mean alternators... LOL.

Sorry, it's my field of study and I get a bit geeky about it all.

Steam is invisible...and hot enough to cut steel. Leaks happen all the time. And they have detectors for that.

Pipes are inspected regularly by various means and have a production life. Maintenance is very much on top of these things because it's their life too.

However...

Where truck driving is the most hazardous occupation, maintenance electrician is the second most hazardous occupation with deaths in the job.

I really don't even want to count the number of times that I have saved my life by running a seemingly unneeded safety check.
People die and get hurt regularly around electricity. I have no wish to be one of them.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It cannot be done... South Australia is not powered 100% by solar... Read the article and it says...

"For just over an hour on Sunday, October 11, 100% of energy demand was met by solar panels alone."

South Australia ran 100% solar but only for one hour on October 11... Solar power only makes up 16% of the states power...

South-Australia-electricity-generation-by-fuel-type.png

For all its wind and solar power, South Australia is paying a very high price for electricity.
They are paying the most in the western world, 3 times more than the USA
sa-highest-power-costs-table.png

So then... The title for this thread should be "South Australia goes 100% solar power for one hour"

And since they only ran one hour at likely optimal conditions, any further solar capacity means potentially wasted energy if it can't be stored.

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that's why star trek moved to dilithium crystals, lol ;)

No it's just a fact, they even have a wiki page: Dilithium (Star Trek) - Wikipedia

Old star trek had transformers... obviously for electricity. New star trek?
I have no idea what they use.

Dilithium crystals turn matter/antimatter reactions into electricity...like lithium ion batteries. :D

Reactions: dev553344

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
You mean alternators... LOL.

Sorry, it's my field of study and I get a bit geeky about it all.

Steam is invisible...and hot enough to cut steel. Leaks happen all the time. And they have detectors for that.

Pipes are inspected regularly by various means and have a production life. Maintenance is very much on top of these things because it's their life too.

However...

Where truck driving is the most hazardous occupation, maintenance electrician is the second most hazardous occupation with deaths in the job.

I really don't even want to count the number of times that I have saved my life by running a seemingly unneeded safety check.
People die and get hurt regularly around electricity. I have no wish to be one of them.

Don't know if it is a misnomer or not, we call them generators and their manufacturer data sheets call them that as well. The power is generated on the outside stator coils that are stationary. (is that why they are called stators?...) The rotating rotor, acts as the spinning electro magnet. It gets excitation current from the exciter. Older exciters often use alternators driven on the Same shaft. So maybe Generator became popular to distinguish between these different equipments.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
When every household is synchronizing to the grid with their own inverters I wonder how grid frequency is maintained. Normally a single power plant becomes the leader, and all other plants follow it. Would there always be a frequency drift... cheap alarm clocks that depend on the grid to keep time, they wouldn't keep time as well.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't know if it is a misnomer or not, we call them generators and their manufacturer data sheets call them that as well. The power is generated on the outside stator coils that are stationary. (is that why they are called stators?...) The rotating rotor, acts as the spinning electro magnet. It gets excitation current from the exciter. Older exciters often use alternators driven on the Same shaft. So maybe Generator became popular to distinguish between these different equipments.

Well... you live in OZ down under...
Things might be named a bit different.

But you are describing an alternator. Fixed coils and rotating magnets. (They use electromagnets to control the strength of the magnetic field better)

When every household is synchronizing to the grid with their own inverters I wonder how grid frequency is maintained. Normally a single power plant becomes the leader, and all other plants follow it. Would there always be a frequency drift... cheap alarm clocks that depend on the grid to keep time, they wouldn't keep time as well.

In today's world of electronics...it isn't a big thing.
Modern generating plants use the electricity from another plant for all their power needs.

We usually use the lightbulb test for combining the power between two generating alternators.

If the lightbulb lights up between two "A" phases then they aren't in sync and one will "motor". So if the light goes out... perfect syncrenization has occurred and then we flip the switch to bring them online and feeding the distribution.