Speaking In Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

iakwe2002

Jul 24, 2007
Greetings everybody!I have a question regarding speaking in tongues. In Acts 2: 4, 11, it says "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them . . . declaring the wonders of God." My question is, can you speak in tongue without being filled with the holy spirit?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
No! this is a gift that can only come with the holy spirit. What is the gift? If you look at the Hebrew/greek this tongues is (other) languages. Another words if you were Greek you heard them in Greek,if you were Hebrew you heard Hebrew.It would be like you speaking in group of mixed Spanish,English,speakers you talked and they both understood you in their own language........................................ It was seven weeks after Jesus' death and resurrection, and it was Pentecost day. There were people from all nations around that day for the religious celebration. Everyone present that day was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in languages they did not know, for the Holy Spirit gave them this ability. Many of the Jews present were stunned to hear their own language spoken by the disciples. "How can this be?" they exclaimed. "For these men are from Galilee, and yet we hear them speaking all the native languages of the lands where we were born! Many in the crown said they were just drunk. Then Peter stepped forward and said these men are not drunk, but what you see this morning was predicted centuries ago by the prophet Joel. And so it was that in the last days, God would pour out His Spirit upon all mankind, and their sons and daughters shall prophecy. (Reference Acts 2:1-21) So what is all the hype on unknown tongues? The word unknown tongue does not exist in the original transcripts, it was added by man... That's why it's in italics in the King James Bible. Paul explains in (I Corinthians 14:1-33), not to go into a Country and try to teach Gods Word where they do not understand you without an interpreter... Referring to the interpretations of different languages as to everyone that is present understands what is said. Paul understood and spoke several languages. (Roman, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic). The event of Acts 2:1-21 was a special event where the Holy Spirit came upon all who were present and it was the Holy Spirit that let them here what was said in their own language. Was this the only event that this took place? No... It also happened in Acts 10:44 and Acts 11:15, when once again the Holy Spirit fell upon them. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. (Acts 10:44) And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. (Acts 11:15-16) This will also take place in the end time when many will be delivered up to the Anti-Christ. We are not to speak, but let the Holy Spirit speak through us. But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them. And the gospel must first be published among all nations. But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost. (Mark 13:9-11) There is no unknown tongue as many churches would want you to believe. It is more of a gimmick to make you think they are something special. Beware of these claims of gibber or babble because it has no meaning and no use to the edification of God's Word. God is the author of love, wisdom and understanding... Not a God of confusion.

Alphabet

Jul 15, 2007
(kriss;14152)
No! this is a gift that can only come with the holy spirit. What is the gift? If you look at the Hebrew this tongues is (other) languages. Another words if you were Greek you heard them in Greek,if you were Hebrew you heard Hebrew.It would be like you speaking in group of mixed Spanish,English,speakers you talked and they both understood you in their own language........................................
:amen:

iakwe2002

Jul 24, 2007
Thank you for your response.So what these Pastors are preaching is false? They say "Speak in tongues and the Holy Spirit will fall upon you."I understand what the book of Acts chapter 2 says, but if a Senior Pastor claims you do not have to wait for the Holy Spirit to fall upon you for you to speak in tongues, what understanding should you take? Aren't these (Pastors) the shepherds who are to feed us the Word and guide us?II Tim. 2:15 - "Study to show thyself approved...."Thank you and God Bless

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Amen to your insightful answer, Kriss. That's what I always believed about tongues. Not gibberish. As for speaking in weird tongues, "slain in the spirit" and other gyration theology, I had an experience in our church where such a visiting evangelist got everyone excited.There was anointing oil that burned (probably had Cheyenne pepper in it and was not the "Holy Spirit" doing that), there were healings, and people came up and they were falling all over the place. I could not believe what I was seeing since my church is not that way at all.I quietly left such nonsense, and I noticed the service was going way over time-wise. I never saw such a spirit of confusion downstairs where the children were waiting for their parents and Sunday School teachers wondering what was going on upstairs (Is the Spirit the author of confusion??).BTW, one of the men that 'threw away his crutches' after falling over had them back again next week, so I knew it was not from God.I came to the pointed conclusion and told the pastor this---- I think it was mass hypnosis--- the poor kids' parents were doing hypnotic stage tricks! I reason things out too much to be so duped, but I will admit that many of the people in our church tend to reason by their feelings, which is why I always cautioned that one has to be grounded in God's Word so as to avoid such deception.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(iakwe2002;14155)
Thank you for your response.So what these Pastors are preaching is false? They say "Speak in tongues and the Holy Spirit will fall upon you."I understand what the book of Acts chapter 2 says, but if a Senior Pastor claims you do not have to wait for the Holy Spirit to fall upon you for you to speak in tongues, what understanding should you take? Aren't these (Pastors) the shepherds who are to feed us the Word and guide us?II Tim. 2:15 - "Study to show thyself approved...."Thank you and God Bless
read 1 Corinthians 14:2-28 I can tell you this holy tongues of the apostles was a gift of God it was used to prophesize to the newly formed christian church. We are told that it should never be spoken with more than 2 or 3 people and only then if there is an interpreter (one granted the gift of prophecy)there to interpret what is being said. God also says no human can understand Gods holy tongue lest he be granted the gift of prophecy. And then we are told to hold a prophet to the test.How do you know if a prophet is from God he is 100% correct 100% of the time. It is in this spirit we are told talking in tongues only edify's ones selfas it is worthless to a church without an interpreter(prophet)So all this gibberish in churches and a Pastor telling you to speak it and then the holy spirit will come upon you I say beware this is not of God.Why would God grant a gift he only grants twice in the entire bible, once in Acts, and will grant to the elect at the end times, to someone who doesn't even have the holy spirit in them. My advise is to run as fast as you can in the other direction of this Pastor.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I agree with Kriss on that the "unknown" tongue (language) is a gift from God, in which no humans can understand, but God only. It only edified self...However if more than three and no interpreter, speaks in that tongue...it is obviously not from God.Although the "unknown" language is really a known language but is unknown to others...like Kriss said.If the masses speak Hebrew and only one speak Greek, then the person who speaks Greek edified him/herself while the Hebrews doesn't understand the Greek..which is unknown language to them.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(iakwe2002;14151)
Greetings everybody!I have a question regarding speaking in tongues. In Acts 2: 4, 11, it says "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them . . . declaring the wonders of God." My question is, can you speak in tongue without being filled with the holy spirit?
No, to speak in an unlearned language that edifies you spiritually is a New testament wonder, indeed it is the sign of entry into that covenant.No man can tame the tongue, it defiles the body, fitting then that God should tame it to speak of Him when our body becomes his temple.It shows you have entered the realm where all things are possible.Some scripture:psalm:72:18: Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.Psalm:136:4: To him who alone doeth great wonders- some say "satanists and other religions speak in tongues" but they don't, they may get all hyped up in frenzied worship like the prophets of Baal and they may say un-intelligible things but this isn't real language and it certainly doesn't edify them !2Thess. 2:9: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,:10: And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.Then "Jehovah's Witnesses" say they heard of someone somewhere (they can never give details) who spoke blasphemy in tongues, but this suggestion is blasphemy.

iakwe2002

Jul 24, 2007
Thank you everyone.I want to ask the pastor these questions, but how would I approach him or should I?Again, thank you for your blessed response. I know God is with you and has blessed you with HIS knowledge.next up....Malachi 3:8, 9.....

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I seriously doubt it will do any good most Pastors know what the word says and have their pat answers/excuses there are posters on this site that swear by tongues.It basically comes down to listening to what God says or following men's traditions. We have told you what God says but to those who have chosen not listen it is what it is. Men will do as they always have done follow other Men or their hearts desire over Gods wordGod Bless to you for hearing God over men

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Excellent response KrissExact answer I would have givenI would like to add that speaking in tongues will happen againMark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]." When this time comes into being in the very near future, it will not be the elect of God that does the speaking, but the Holy Spirit speaking in and through the mouths of His elect. Every one of these individuals will be delivered before these false councils before the final day of this earth age. This is why Peter would say to the people in Acts 2, on Pentecost day; "This is that which was spoken of by Joel the Prophet."Acts 2:16: "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"We can read this prophecy in Joel 2:28-32. These sons and daughters shall speak in a cloven tongue, as recorded in Acts 2:6; meaning that the language that they shall speak in will need no interpreter, for every one that hears will hear in their native tongue of the dialect of the neighborhood they grew up in. This is the way that the gospel will go forth in the last days, for it is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These sons and daughters will speak, as stated in Mark 13:11, but whatsoever words they do speak in that hour, it will be the Holy Spirit that speaks through them.Acts 2:17 "And it shall come to pass in the last days,' saith God, `I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and you old men shall dream dreams:"Acts 2:18 "And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit; and they shall prophesy:"Acts 2:19 "And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:"Acts 2:20 "The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:"Acts 2:21 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.' "When the sons and daughter speak, it will be heard in every language and dialect in the world. This will not come from the mind of those people, but those people shall be willing witnesses that allow God to speak directly through them to the people. Thus the true gospel of Christ will be spoken. These trials will be made public to the world, and it will be as the two churches of Revelation 2:9; and 3:9 taught, and it is important that you know exactly what they did teach.Those churches of Smyrna and Philadelphia taught about the synagogue of Satan, about those that claimed to be of God, of Judah, but lied and were not. These churches taught how you would know and identify who the Kenites were. Those Kenites claimed to be of Judah [Jews] but were a bunch of liars, who in fact were nothing more than the sons and daughters of Satan. They were members of the synagogue of Satan, they are the Kenites that are taking over the entire religious community, and it is time to wake up. We will be delivered up into their synagogues and tried before them. This is part of God's plan, whereby God can speak through you by the Holy Spirit.http://www.theseason.org/mark/mark13.htm

jodycour

Jun 4, 2007
Natchitoches, La
Kriss,You are so decieved with your answer that unknown tongues is not for today that is a lie!The Word of God clearly tells us in I Corinthians 14:4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; ( that means building up of your spirit man)I Corth. 14:2 Clearly states:For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God; for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the Spirit he speaketh mysteries!I'm very offended by accusation that it is not for today because that is a down right lie!It is God's HolyGhost speaking and praying to build up your spirit man.You guy's are truly missing out on a wonderful gift of God that is very needed in this crazy world that we live in!You only speak this way about this gift because obviously you have not recieved this wonderful gift from God yet!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Jody I dont remember saying that exact thing. the question was if you have no holly spirit in you can you speak in tonges. The answer is No! And I stand by my Biblical vereses

jodycour

Jun 4, 2007
Natchitoches, La
(kriss;14152)
No! this is a gift that can only come with the holy spirit. What is the gift? If you look at the Hebrew/greek this tongues is (other) languages. Another words if you were Greek you heard them in Greek,if you were Hebrew you heard Hebrew.It would be like you speaking in group of mixed Spanish,English,speakers you talked and they both understood you in their own language........................................ It was seven weeks after Jesus' death and resurrection, and it was Pentecost day. There were people from all nations around that day for the religious celebration. Everyone present that day was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in languages they did not know, for the Holy Spirit gave them this ability. Many of the Jews present were stunned to hear their own language spoken by the disciples. "How can this be?" they exclaimed. "For these men are from Galilee, and yet we hear them speaking all the native languages of the lands where we were born! Many in the crown said they were just drunk. Then Peter stepped forward and said these men are not drunk, but what you see this morning was predicted centuries ago by the prophet Joel. And so it was that in the last days, God would pour out His Spirit upon all mankind, and their sons and daughters shall prophecy. (Reference Acts 2:1-21) So what is all the hype on unknown tongues? The word unknown tongue does not exist in the original transcripts, it was added by man... That's why it's in italics in the King James Bible. Paul explains in (I Corinthians 14:1-33), not to go into a Country and try to teach Gods Word where they do not understand you without an interpreter... Referring to the interpretations of different languages as to everyone that is present understands what is said. Paul understood and spoke several languages. (Roman, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic). The event of Acts 2:1-21 was a special event where the Holy Spirit came upon all who were present and it was the Holy Spirit that let them here what was said in their own language. Was this the only event that this took place? No... It also happened in Acts 10:44 and Acts 11:15, when once again the Holy Spirit fell upon them. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. (Acts 10:44) And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. (Acts 11:15-16) This will also take place in the end time when many will be delivered up to the Anti-Christ. We are not to speak, but let the Holy Spirit speak through us. But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them. And the gospel must first be published among all nations. But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost. (Mark 13:9-11) There is no unknown tongue as many churches would want you to believe. It is more of a gimmick to make you think they are something special. Beware of these claims of gibber or babble because it has no meaning and no use to the edification of God's Word. God is the author of love, wisdom and understanding... Not a God of confusion.
Excuse me but I do believe that you quoted here, There is no unknown tongue as many churches would want you to believe.If the Word unknown tongue wasn't suppose to be there, why would he be talking about talking to God in mysteries in a foriegn language, or how would speaking in a foriegn language that you did'nt understand build up your spirit man as it talks about in I Corth.14:2-4Unknown tongues are a very Important gift to do spiritual warfare!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thats my point Jody the speaking is nothing in/of its selfit is the the Holy Spirit coming upon you thats the gift. And this doesn't happen to the unsaved,or sinner. You dont speak in tongues first then the Holy spirit fills you.The original manuscripts say nothing about "Unknown" that is a modern interpretation the manuscripts say "other" tongues(languages) understood what was being said. Meaning if you speak and Spanish,Hebrew,Italian,Greek,ext. speaking peoples understood you in their own language. You would be speaking an "Not Known language" (This language was the Holy language that was spoken before the Tower of Babel when God confused the Languages it is understood by none but God without the gift of prochecy) Therefore scripture says it should not be spoken with more than 2 or 3 people and then only with an interpeter This is not the practice of the churches that use this therefore whether it offends one or not, to use this tounge in large groups is against scripture therefore against Gods word.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Bingo Kriss. The "unknown" language is really a known language that existed all over the Earth. Only reason why it is unknown is because, it is unknown to you/others if you/they don't know that specific language. It's common sense.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Jody,You have to remember why God sent the gift of speaking in tongues in Acts. God was establishing christianity in NT times. God did many kinds of miracles. When Jesus' deciples were speaking tongues, it was actual languages even though they themselves did not understand what they were speaking, the hearers understood them. We don't need miracles to believe in God and Jesus because we have the Bible. If we cannot believe God and Jesus without the miracle now, we will never believe even we see real miracles. Jesus and His deciples performed so many of them already.It is so strange that pentecostal churches are so hung up on speaking in tongues.

jodycour

Jun 4, 2007
Natchitoches, La
Kriss,You avoided my question about what I said concerningI Corth. 14:2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the Spirit he speaketh mysteries.This very clearly states that speaking in the unknown tongue speaks unto God.This very clearly is a prayer language to God.It also says that your speaking mysteries in the Spirit!How could this word here "unknown" possiblly be a foreign language?No, when you are speaking in unknown tongues it is praying to God!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
You miss the whole point Jody, the word unknown doesn't exist in the Greek manuscripts, there is no Greek word for unknown. But it is in the KJB being italicized, And I think Kriss told you that, no man understandeth, but only God.Again I repeat this...(thesuperjag)
Bingo Kriss. The "unknown" language is really a known language that existed all over the Earth. Only reason why it is unknown is because, it is unknown to you/others if you/they don't know that specific language. It's common sense.Lovest thou in Christ Jesus (Yahshua) our Lord and Saviour.
That is all.