Spirit and/or soul?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the makeup of a person? Spirit, soul and body? Or is the spirit and the soul the same thing as Billy Graham used to preach?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, spirit, soul, and body. the spirit is not the soul. a spirit with a body "make" a soul. if Billy Gram preached that was a mistake.

PICJAG.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
References:

Deuteronomy 6:5
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

Deuteronomy 10:12
[ The Essence of the Law ] “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,

Deuteronomy 11:13
‘And it shall be that if you earnestly obey My commandments which I command you today, to love the Lord your God and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul,

you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams, for the Lord your God is testing you to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

Deuteronomy 30:6
And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live.

Joshua 22:5
But take careful heed to do the commandment and the law which Moses the servant of the Lord commanded you, to love the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to keep His commandments, to hold fast to Him, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul.”

Ezekiel 16:36
Thus says the Lord God: “Because your filthiness was poured out and your nakedness uncovered in your harlotry with your lovers, and with all your abominable idols, and because of the blood of your children which you gave to them,

Matthew 22:37
Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Mark 12:30
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment.

Luke 10:27
So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the makeup of a person? Spirit, soul and body? Or is the spirit and the soul the same thing as Billy Graham used to preach?
The spirit is not the same as the soul, although they are closely linked. See Hebrews 4:12,13. When humans are born their souls are very much alive but their spirits are dead. It is only after the New Birth that their spirits are alive.

At the same time souls and spirits are immaterial and imperishable (contrary to what the cults teach). Only bodies are mortal and perishable, and immortality applies only to bodies.

Reactions: Hope in God

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I am a spirit, I have a soul, and I live in a body.
While one aspect of me is physical and material, another aspect is mental and intellectual. Added to these I have an emotional and sensitive aspect, as well as a social and associative aspect.
In preferable circumstances these aspects overlap and interact with each other, but all are subject to my spiritual aspect.

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They way I have seen this is.
The body is just a house, we have a flesh house and if we make it to heaven we receive a heavenly house. 2 Corinthians 5:1
The soul is the real you that live in the house of flesh, then your move out a live soul into your new house from heaven.
Your spirit is what we know you by, so moving from flesh to celestial, we will know you by your spirit in your new house.
All have to be blameless before you can make it. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

The soul of man and his spirit are one and never separate from each other.
The soul and the body can be separated.

I think some places in the script soul and spirit are the same as far as life.
example;
Ecclesiastes 12:7
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
Genesis 2:7
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think some places in the script soul and spirit are the same as far as life.
example;
Ecclesiastes 12:7
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
Genesis 2:7
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Actually in both these verse "spirit" simply means "breath" (or breath of life). In both Hebrew and Greek spirit can mean either spirit or breath depending on context. And soul and spirit and clearly not identical.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a simplified version of how I look at it...

Body: Computer and Hardware
Soul: Data stored on Hard Drive
Spirit: Electricity that keeps the Computer running

Although the Computer (Body) can be destroyed, the Data (Soul) can be backed up in the Cloud (Heaven).

The Electricity (Spirit) comes from the Source of all Power... the Power Plant itself (God).

Note that the Data (Soul) can be destroyed if not worth saving... or it can be cleaned up and made pure (Sin purged/Viruses eliminated).

The Spirit cannot be destroyed as it is an integral part of God and is incapable of sinning. It always returns to Source.

Last edited: