Spiritual authority?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
brother Paul says women should be silent in the church, ask your husbands at home?
Could Paul just be asserting that no man is to have spiritual authority over another mans wife?

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
brother Paul says women should be silent in the church, ask your husbands at home?
Could Paul just be asserting that no man is to have spiritual authority over another mans wife?

Its important to understand that in 1 Corinthians 14, Paul was writing to a disruptive church in Corinth. The meetings were chaos, everyone speaking at once, and in different languages with no interpreters. Paul wrote; "If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church" (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). So Paul told the men to keep quiet prior to telling the women. I believe Paul was trying to encourage an atmosphere of learning instead of confusion. Paul wrote; "Let all things be done unto edifying.. for God is not the author of confusion.. Let all things be done decently and in order" (vs 26,33 & 40). So it seems evident that Paul was trying to eliminate everyone talking at once because the chatter and questions were disruptive. Even today, imagine that if everyone talked at once in a service, the primary speaker could not be heard. "For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn" (1 Corinthians 14:31)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its important to understand that in 1 Corinthians 14, Paul was writing to a disruptive church in Corinth. The meetings were chaos, everyone speaking at once, and in different languages with no interpreters. Paul wrote; "If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church" (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). So Paul told the men to keep quiet prior to telling the women. I believe Paul was trying to encourage an atmosphere of learning instead of confusion. Paul wrote; "Let all things be done unto edifying.. for God is not the author of confusion.. Let all things be done decently and in order" (vs 26,33 & 40). So it seems evident that Paul was trying to eliminate everyone talking at once because the chatter and questions were disruptive. Even today, imagine that if everyone talked at once in a service, the primary speaker could not be heard. "For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn" (1 Corinthians 14:31)
Yes but he forbid the woman to speak period.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:34 KJV
[34] Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Tecarta Bible

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:37 KJV
[37] If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Tecarta Bible

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 5:23-24 KJV
[23] For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. [24] Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Tecarta Bible

Reactions: Stan B

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d also like to ask, how can a catholic priest take the confession of a married woman under this command?
Could it be that we’ve been playing church for so long, that we have no idea what the assembly is?

Last edited:
Reactions: marksman

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is true, but the word has two meanings:

1) Paul was simply addressing the need for restoring order in the church during those immediate times.

2) But, in the greater plan of God and why such a word would become the eternal word of God...it was a word from the Spirit through which Paul aslod spoke of and referred to as the mystery of marriage. Which, with regard to the church, is not about just any man or men and their wives, but rather about Christ and His bride. In which case, the word to the church is that only Christ should speak and teach in the church. For no man in the church is of any more authority except Christ the Husband of all. At best, a man may be called to portray the Head as servant of all. Which no women is called to do, not because she is not an equal among the bride and church, but only because it does not portray Christ as the Husband.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is true, but the word has two meanings:

1) Paul was simply addressing the need for restoring order in the church during those immediate times.

2) But, in the greater plan of God and why such a word would become the eternal word of God...it was a word from the Spirit through which Paul aslod spoke of and referred to as the mystery of marriage. Which, with regard to the church, is not about just any man or men and their wives, but rather about Christ and His bride. In which case, the word to the church is that only Christ should speak and teach in the church. For no man in the church is of any more authority except Christ the Husband of all. At best, a man may be called to portray the Head as servant of all. Which no women is called to do, not because she is not an equal among the bride and church, but only because it does not portray Christ as the Husband.
It’s very interesting to me that Paul places this right in the middle of his address to the misuse of tongues. What are your thoughts?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d also like to ask, how can a catholic priest take the confession of a married woman under this command?
Could it be that we’ve been playing church for so long, that we have no idea what the assembly is?
Any man called to be the head or leader of a congregation may take the confession of a married women, just as any follower of Christ may take the confession of a married or unmarried man or women, without exclusivity. To live is Christ, for all who are in Him.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s very interesting to me that Paul places this right in the middle of his address to the misuse of tongues. What are your thoughts?
Jesus announced that He would build His church by the same means by which Peter came to know that He was the Christ, which was not by flesh and blood, by the spirit of His Father. That spiritual building came to fruition at Pentecost, the outpouring of the spirit of God upon all flesh, foretold by Joel the prophet, promised by Jesus, and confirmed by Peter. Paul continued to teach accordingly. Unfortunately, leaders in the church by the spirit of anti-Christ already at work, lifted up Peter to be head of the church instead of the Rock of ages, God. Thus, we have seen the great apostasy and the believing of a lie, by the teachings of men, men who were told to be silent.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any man called to be the head or leader of a congregation may take the confession of a married women, just as any follower of Christ may take the confession of a married or unmarried man or women, without exclusivity. To live is Christ, for all who are in Him.
This of course is assuming they are in fact called of Christ. But the fact is the churches are full of scandal and divorce.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This of course is assuming they are in fact called of Christ. But the fact is the churches are full of scandal and divorce.
That is correct. And this is the [actual] portrayal of the marriage of Christ and His bride the church...and those also who wait for Him, whom He never knew.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 14:34 KJV
[34] Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Tecarta Bible
I'm not sure myself. I think men and women sat in separate sections. Maybe the women were chattering among themselves, asking each other questions. I find it curious that here he refers to the Law Moses when he seems to say the Law of Moses doesn't matter in other places. Paul confuses me.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure myself. I think men and women sat in separate sections. Maybe the women were chattering among themselves, asking each other questions. I find it curious that here he refers to the Law Moses when he seems to say the Law of Moses doesn't matter in other places. Paul confuses me.
Interesting is it the law of Moses, or the law of God, this church is full of pagans
Assuredly taking the law love your neighbor to new levels. Still can’t understand why he places this in the middle of his rebuke of tongues?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting is it the law of Moses, or the law of God, this church is full of pagans
Assuredly taking the law love your neighbor to new levels. Still can’t understand why he places this in the middle of his rebuke of tongues?
Seems out of place?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does seem odd. I gave up trying to understand everything Paul wrote.