Spiritual Goals

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
These are my spiritual goals:
1) S - Submit to Scriptural Leadership
2) E - Edify the Body of Christ
3) R - Resist Unscriptural Forms of Control
4) V - Value Genuine Ministries
5) I - Ignore Insults
6) C - Continue in the Faith of Christ
7) E - Earn a Respectable Living

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Jimmy Engle said:
Stumpmaster said:
From who or what are you trying to earn respect from?
The following verses should throw some light on that:
1Th 4:1-12
(1) Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as you have received of us how you ought to walk and to please God, so you would abound more and more.
(2) For you know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
(3) For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that you should abstain from fornication:
(4) That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;
(5) Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God:
(6) That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.
(7) For God has not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
(8) He therefore that despises, despises not man, but God, who has also given unto us His Holy Spirit.
(9) But as touching brotherly love you need not that I write unto you: for you yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
(10) And indeed you do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that you increase more and more;
(11) And that you study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
(12) That you may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that you may have lack of nothing.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Stumpmaster said:
5) I - Ignore Insults

Hi Stumpmaster,

I met you several months ago on another forum. It is good to see your name again.

I thought I may have met your wife when I responded to a poster who goes by the name of Sawdust. But, no go...she's from Australia instead of New Zealand.

The tree connection had me wondering. LOL

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Whirlwind,
I think it was someone posting to you on another forum that alerted me to this one. I see you still have your sense of humour...Sawdust...aha.

As yet my wife has no online interests but is very involved with Scrabble associations and their tournaments.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As yet my wife has no online interests but is very involved with Scrabble associations and their tournaments.

Another female good at Scrabble - go figure! ;)

That's an excellent acronym on many levels. I know I struggle mightily with them in various ways, but my biggest are 4) and 5). I am in agreement about the last one though, I think sometimes we overlook that God gives us tools to be good at something for a reason. My father has worked construction all of his life, and he's probably witnessed to more people than many pastors. My mother loves children and works with a church daycare. I've been blessed to be in the computer technology field, and I end up being blessed with Christianity Board. I've seen this repeated for extended family and friends.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Your work is a much appreciated ministry, Swampfox. Thanks for updating to this layout. It glorifies God when His people use their skills unto Him.

samy

Apr 8, 2008
Stumpmaster, Your goals appear to be specific and worth while. I would simply suggest that it might be a growing experience to make part of your daily walk with the Lord Jesus the specific pursuit of the knowledge of God. I don't mean to say anything like "you don't know God," or, "you aren't in pursuit of such knowledge."This is simply a suggestion for your continued growth. I point to the prayer of the Lord Jesus in John 17, and the prayers of the apostle Paul for the church where we see him praying for their knowledge of God [Example Eph 1:17ff] after they have been saved. samy

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stumpmaster said:
5) I - Ignore Insults

Hmm... I want to try at this - without looking at yours I'm going to start with your word "service" - because we are all so different - let's see what comes first to my mind as I look at these letters - like word association.

S- sow seeds
E- elongate my prayer time
R- reserve more special time for only God
V- vary my approaches talking about God
I- intentionally place my mind on Him
C- care for the less fortunate more and more and more
E- express my love tangibly -(God's love)

That was fun!!!! Everyone try it and don't look at anyone else's - first thing that pops in your brain!
:) Miss Hepburn

gumby

May 29, 2009
Ok my goals are this

A. read my bible more
B. meditate more
C. focus on recruiting any and evry person for gods kingdom
D. encourage unity more between my christian freinds

rob

Sep 2, 2009
The goal of my life is to satisfy the heart of the wonderful Person of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
samy said:
Stumpmaster, Your goals appear to be specific and worth while. I would simply suggest that it might be a growing experience to make part of your daily walk with the Lord Jesus the specific pursuit of the knowledge of God. I don't mean to say anything like "you don't know God," or, "you aren't in pursuit of such knowledge."This is simply a suggestion for your continued growth. I point to the prayer of the Lord Jesus in John 17, and the prayers of the apostle Paul for the church where we see him praying for their knowledge of God [Example Eph 1:17ff] after they have been saved. samy
Thanks for your reply, Samy.
I trust that you also will always grow in grace as you "continue in the faith of Christ".

Colossians 1:21-23
(21) And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now has He reconciled
(22) In the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in His sight:
(23) If you continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which you have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Miss Hepburn said:
Stumpmaster said:
1) S - Submit to Scriptural Leadership - Hebrews 13:17
(17) Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

2) E - Edify the Body of Christ - 1Co 14:12
(12) Even so you, forasmuch as you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that you may excel to the edifying of the church.

3) R - Resist Unscriptural Forms of Control - 1Timothy 6:3-5
(3) If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
(4) He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof comes envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
(5) Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

4) V - Value Genuine Ministries - 1Corinthians 16:16-18
(16) That you submit yourselves unto such, and to every one that helps with us, and labours.
(17) I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied.
(18) For they have refreshed my spirit and yours: therefore acknowledge you them that are such.

5) I - Ignore Insults - 1Peter 2:21-23
(21) For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow his steps:
(22) Who did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth:
(23) Who, when He was reviled, reviled not again; when He suffered, He threatened not; but committed Himself to Him that judges righteously:

6) C - Continue in the Faith of Christ - Colossians 1:21-23
(21) And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now has He reconciled
(22) In the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in His sight:
(23) If you continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which you have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

7) E - Earn a Respectable Living - 1Thessalonians 4:11-12
(11) And that you study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
(12) That you may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that you may have lack of nothing.

Hmm... I want to try at this - without looking at yours I'm going to start with your word "service" - because we are all so different - let's see what comes first to my mind as I look at these letters - like word association.

S- sow seeds
E- elongate my prayer time
R- reserve more special time for only God
V- vary my approaches talking about God
I- intentionally place my mind on Him
C- care for the less fortunate more and more and more
E- express my love tangibly -(God's love)

That was fun!!!! Everyone try it and don't look at anyone else's - first thing that pops in your brain!
:) Miss Hepburn
Now a good exercise would be to find a supporting Scripture for each one.
I purposely left my supporting Scriptures out at the start to allow for discussion but as you see I have now provided them.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gumby said:
Ok my goals are this

A. read my bible more
B. meditate more
C. focus on recruiting any and evry person for gods kingdom
D. encourage unity more between my christian freinds
Well, that spells "rmfe" ! LOL!

;) Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Now a good exercise would be to find a supporting Scripture for each one.
I purposely left my supporting Scriptures out at the start to allow for discussion but as you see I have now provided them."

You must be retired!! LOL!
;) Miss Hepburn

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Miss Hepburn said:
"Now a good exercise would be to find a supporting Scripture for each one.
I purposely left my supporting Scriptures out at the start to allow for discussion but as you see I have now provided them."

You must be retired!! LOL!
;) Miss Hepburn
Ten years to go on that one; twelve if our government raises the current age to the same as Australia's.

It is actually quite an easy task to search and copy Scriptures etc. from the e-sword program I have installed on my laptop. If you don't have this free download here is the link:

http://www.e-sword.net/bibles.html

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
rob said:
The goal of my life is to satisfy the heart of the wonderful Person of our Lord Jesus Christ!
How do you plan on doing that? I am just wondering because as I understand it, there is a wrong way to pursue righteousness that leads to hell.

rob

Sep 2, 2009
I wonder why my post was not printed?
My Spiritual goal is to satisfy the heart of my Lord and Saviour, the wonderful Person of Jesus Christ!

rob

Sep 2, 2009
Sorry, my post was printed but I could not find it! I am only a novice on the computer! I did not answer the question by Jimmy Engle, "How do you plan on doing that"?

By enjoying this wonderful Person all my waking hours and even in my sleep if possible?

How do I do that?

By walking by the spirit! (Romans 8:4;)
By being transformed by the renewing of my mind, that I may know what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God! (Romans 12:2;)
By responding appropriately to the fact that all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose! (Hence being conformed to the Image of the Son of God! (Romans 8:28-29;)
By eating and drinking Him and even breathing Him daily! (John 6:53,54,55,56,57; 7:36;)
By rejoicing always! (In all circumstance and environments). (Philippians 3:1; 4:4; 1 Thess. 5:16;)
By building up the Body of Christ! (Ephesians 4:12; 4:16; Romans 10:13;
By calling on the Lord daily! (Genesis 4:26; Psalm 18:3;)