Spiritual Maturity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Immaturity is selfish; maturity is selfless. “He must increase, but I must decrease” (John 3:30).

I Got the above quote from a post from @Netchaplain which he did some time ago, This Quote has stuck in me since commenting on that post how great a quote this is. There is truly so much wisdom here in the carrying out of our everyday relationships in this world, primarily those between Husband and wife. Many of those relationships never reaching that state of selfless maturity, with one party or the other thinking they deserve better (Selfish immaturity). I Have not only dealt with these things on a mundane level in these personal relationships, but also how this applies to Spiritual maturity. Much of the modern Christian faith is based on what I can get out of it, the blessings, as opposed to what I can give to That relationship. I Don't think we can ever mature Spiritually until we begin to ask this question. What is it that God wants from us? A selfless love, not a selfish love.

The "I deserve better" mentality is destroying marriages at record numbers in this country today, much of modern dating with modern women and men has gone to calculating what we can selfishly receive from the relationship, as opposed to what we can together build in this relationship. And I am afraid this too is happening with the Bride of Christ the church not reaching its full selfless maturity of surrender and submission to the will of God. It is Only in selflessness that true Love blossoms.... when there is nothing to offer the other and that other still loves us and is there for us, then we know true love has blossomed, and when we understand that We truly have nothing to offer Christ, and his love is still there for us, we Know His love is true and genuine. There is nothing we can do by our power to sway his love for us, nothing I can do to further his Kingdom, and Like John the Baptist we must come to the realization that I must decrease, and He must increase.

Now for many of you, this Post will go right over your head and you will not understand the full scope of what is being said here. That is because many are still in the mindset of selfish immaturity, thinking of what I get out of my faith. Some on the other hand may understand because of the personal destruction of their personal relationships on a mundane level what is said here. But even fewer will see how this applies to Spiritual maturity.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2-3)

Has Your Love for God reached the Point of selflessness?

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Inspiring words.

Indeed the whole world, is in need of maturity, at this stage.

God's Gospel, is high and lifted up, who can attain it? (Not without maturity!)

The answer, in part, is that we simply need to agree with God: yes, we will be sinners for the duration of our life; yes, we will need to rely on the Holy Spirit to convict us of His Word, Day to Day; yes, much of what we learn here on Earth, will be a fraction of what we become a part of in Heaven. If we can keep this focus, maturity will be a necessity, not an option.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am afraid this too is happening with the Bride of Christ the church not reaching its full selfless maturity of surrender and submission to the will of God.
The Church in general (not those whom God is using to teach and preach) has been decreasing in maturity and will be at it's most immature state when the Lord Jesus comes for us. This is all due to many of the false teachings that have arisen in the last century. It would require believers to read the Bible more to increase their maturity.

Thanks for your reply and comments, and God bless your Family!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has Your Love for God reached the Point of selflessness?
Please join us on this similar new topic. Thanks. cc: @Netchaplain