Spiritual Narcissism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife and I have worked with the disadvantaged for many years, and over those years we've seen various mental, emotional, and personality disorders, including Narcisistic Personality Disorder. NPD is not being fond of your reflection, it is a progressive and dangerous disease.

I've recently heard the term, Spiritual Narcissism.

From an article in the Vancouver Sun:

Spiritual narcissism works in subtle ways | Vancouver Sun

“Simply stated, spiritual narcissism is the unconscious use of spiritual practice, experience, and insight to increase rather than decrease self-importance,” May writes in Will and Spirit.

Spiritual narcissism infiltrates our egos when we start to identify with “trying to become holy,” said May, who treated addicts before he began supervising ecumenical spiritual directors at the Shalem Institute in Washington, D.C.

Spiritual narcissism, May said, “makes the spiritual quest a self-aggrandizing process rather than a journey of deepening humility.”

The fact is, people have reasons for acting as they do. In some cases, this may have something to do with it. Just some food for thought.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a young man we knew fairly well, for a number of years. Over time he became more and more that whenever we would see him, he would begin to make some outlandish statements, or to do something offensive, to provoke a reaction. And then he would launch into any controversy, looking for the emotionalism that would feed his fix.

That's what he was doing, getting his emotional supply out of fostering these reactions.

Much love!

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I have worked with the disadvantaged for many years, and over those years we've seen various mental, emotional, and personality disorders, including Narcisistic Personality Disorder. NPD is not being fond of your reflection, it is a progressive and dangerous disease.

“Simply stated, spiritual narcissism is the unconscious use of spiritual practice, experience, and insight to increase rather than decrease self-importance,” May writes in Will and Spirit.

Spiritual narcissism infiltrates our egos when we start to identify with “trying to become holy,” said May, who treated addicts before he began supervising ecumenical spiritual directors at the Shalem Institute in Washington, D.C.

Spiritual narcissism, May said, “makes the spiritual quest a self-aggrandizing process rather than a journey of deepening humility.”

The fact is, people have reasons for acting as they do. In some cases, this may have something to do with it. Just some food for thought.

Much love!
What’s wrong with trying to be holy? Thess. 5:23

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I don't understand the issue here. As a parent, one of my important objectives was to raise my children with good self-image. A poor self-image can be destructive. When I look in the mirror, I see someone really wonderful, a being whom God has created, and for that I thank Him every day. Every day, I am surrounded by some very accomplished people, and marvel at what God has created.

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand the issue here. As a parent, one of my important objectives was to raise my children with good self-image. A poor self-image can be destructive. When I look in the mirror, I see someone really wonderful, a being whom God has created, and for that I thank Him every day. Every day, I am surrounded by some very accomplished people, and marvel at what God has created.
The Narcissist looks at others and sees "supply". Everything from the cash to buy a bigger TV, to the affirmation that they truly are the top of the heap!

Narcissistic Personality Disorder describes the person who sees themself very disconnected from others, as no one else shares their exalted level. Which is self-deception, because at heart the Narcissist believes they are actually so bad that the only way they can have their needs met by others is to manipulate them.

A healthy self image is, I think, like what you've described, one whom God created, in a world of His creation, surrounded by people of His creation.

The Narcissist does not share this sense of worth, instead feeding from others, and their ability to make them say or do or act in ways they normally would not. Or to take advantage of their normal and healthy behavior.

The healthy person will assume that they are having a rational discussion, meanwhile the narcissist is setting them up for _________ (whatever their particular thing is). So while you're busy being real, and trying to be useful and helpful, the narcissist is trying to hook you, and reel you in.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s wrong with trying to be holy? Thess. 5:23
Nothing at all. But if it goes to your head, as if, you are holier than others, or that by your 'personally attained holiness' you are now accepted by God.

Narcissist* Traits – Sitting in the Seat of Scoffers / Narcissists as Judge

Narcissists will frequently set themselves up as others’ judge. And not in the sense of being a fair, balanced evaluator of things – more in the sense of “I am superior in mind and values, and whatever I think is right. And all of the inferior people around me who think or act differently than me deserve to be mocked.”

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Narcissist* Traits – Sitting in the Seat of Scoffers / Narcissists as Judge

Scoffers / narcissists are ones who believe that they should set the rules, not follow the rules. They believe that they are inherently better able to judge who is doing something “right” – according to the standards which they themselves have set (of course). They believe that this one of their God-given roles and duties (not true). They are the people who believe that they should be the boss or leader because of their superiority – and should command others to work while they command and monitor them. Narcissists will “sit”, and not lift a finger to actually work unless they are forced, or unless it somehow gives them an opportunity to do it “for show”. Actual work is for inferior people.

An example of this is shown by the classic Narcissists, the Pharisees (see here and here), in Matthew 23:4 –

Matthew 23:4
They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger.

The Pharisees created extra-Biblical rules for others to follow, but were unwilling to follow the rules themselves. This is a classic example of a narcissist “sitting in the seat of scoffers”.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a young man we knew fairly well, for a number of years. Over time he became more and more that whenever we would see him, he would begin to make some outlandish statements, or to do something offensive, to provoke a reaction. And then he would launch into any controversy, looking for the emotionalism that would feed his fix.

That's what he was doing, getting his emotional supply out of fostering these reactions.

Much love!

Some people simply put, say another try's "to steal their joy"...leaving the other feeling good, and the person feeling crappy.

Others take a more scientific approach... in the electric field that surrounds a person. The goal is to Zap their energy and transfer it to themselves...trances, chants, weird stuff.

I've seen the ego thing you mention.
These things all can happen by different methods.

I don't think the topic per'se matters...but whoever the Target is...the instigator keys in on the targets passion...
Push their buttons, get their goad, get them riled up, get a rise out of them...tons of sayings...

The idea is to cause chaos, turmoil, that leaves the instigator exhilarated and the target exhaustively drained.

Glory to God,
Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people simply put, say another try's "to steal their joy"...leaving the other feeling good, and the person feeling crappy.

Others take a more scientific approach... in the electric field that surrounds a person. The goal is to Zap their energy and transfer it to themselves...trances, chants, weird stuff.

I don't think the topic per'se matters...but whoever the Target is...the instigator keys in on the targets passion...
Push their buttons, get their goad, get them riled up, get a rise out of them...tons of sayings...

The idea is to cause chaos, turmoil, that leaves the instigator exhilarated and the target exhaustively drained.

Glory to God,
Taken
Yup, that's it!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Narcissist looks at others and sees "supply". Everything from the cash to buy a bigger TV, to the affirmation that they truly are the top of the heap!

Okay, thanks. This whole narcissist thing is not something I have encountered in my primarily family-focused world, so this topic has never come up before. My family are all pretty much top of the heap with multiple degrees, including my dear DIL, a clinical psychologist, forensic psychologist, etc, and contributing author to the textbooks used in today's university classrooms. They probably have no need to play the narcissistic game.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting topic of which we should all be aware.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup, that's it!

It is not hard to KEY in on this type of personality...
I'm sure the medical field Has along List of things they call this type of personality...
Personally I think it is Insecurity...
And Agree the more they have a Target available, the better they Perfect their skill...
So they may even "appear" extroverted, but still I think they are drowning in insecurities, aloneness, unsurety...
I would presume that guy is "never wrong"...
But yet he is. Point being, you cannot reason with him...he doesn't really care if he is right or wrong, but to just claim he is right gives him a rush, and that is his goal.
They ARE exhausting.

Glory to God,
Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, thanks. This whole narcissist thing is not something I have encountered in my primarily family-focused world, so this topic has never come up before. My family are all pretty much top of the heap with multiple degrees, including my dear DIL, a clinical psychologist, forensic psychologist, etc, and contributing author to the textbooks used in today's university classrooms. They probably have no need to play the narcissistic game.

Nevertheless, it is an interesting topic of which we should all be aware.
It's nice to be surrounded by healthy people!

:)

Reactions: Stan B

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We were so poor growing up we were not allowed to get sick! LOL for real!

Glory to God,
Taken
@Taken It's a bit like that now, I reckon, not so much for the money, but I've told my wife that if I have another heart attack I don't want to go to the hospital in the current climate: better to rest at home with meds than to go into an atmosphere with lots of viruses and infections and be carried off by catching something there...

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Glory to God,
Taken
Guard your Spirit, or you’ll be as a city without walls.

Reactions: Pisteuo and Taken

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Very interesting and informing topic! Reading through this I realized I may have been dealing with one or two members here who fit this definition. :eek:
In the past 2 years I have been going through the refiners fire and the Holy Spirit has been revealing and purging things in my heart that even I wasn't aware of. And one of them was self-righteousness....:rolleyes:
He had to strip me of everything that had me bound up in a sense of pride or accomplishment...to humble me to the point that when I finally cried out to Him I was completely void of self and became consumed with it being all about Him.
His Will...not mine....He became Lord of my life...not Assistant Manager...(I was great at helping Him make decisions about my life back in the day.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Very interesting and informing topic! Reading through this I realized I may have been dealing with one or two members here who fit this definition. :eek:
In the past 2 years I have been going through the refiners fire and the Holy Spirit has been revealing and purging things in my heart that even I wasn't aware of. And one of them was self-righteousness....:rolleyes:
He had to strip me of everything that had me bound up in a sense of pride or accomplishment...to humble me to the point that when I finally cried out to Him I was completely void of self and became consumed with it being all about Him.
His Will...not mine....He became Lord of my life...not Assistant Manager...(I was great at helping Him make decisions about my life back in the day.)
@Heart2Soul I enjoy Malachi, which speaks of the refiner's fire, etc.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken It's a bit like that now, I reckon, not so much for the money, but I've told my wife that if I have another heart attack I don't want to go to the hospital in the current climate: better to rest at home with meds than to go into an atmosphere with lots of viruses and infections and be carried off by catching something there...

I don't blame you. The last place I would want to be if I were sick is in a hospital!

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Stan B and marks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't blame you. The last place I would want to be if I were sick is in a hospital!

Glory to God,
Taken
@Taken Well, I know of a man some weeks ago who wanted to die in his own home but his family persuaded him to go into a care facility, where he promptly caught the virus and expired.

Reactions: Stan B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't it wonderful to bottom out?

:)

Reactions: Heart2Soul