St. Paul the Hermit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today is St. Paul the Hermit Day.
He was buddies with St. Jerome who was famous for his writings I think.
St. Paul the Hermit lived in a desert cave in Egypt most of his very long life.
St. Anthony found him and buried him in a cloak given by St. Athanasius.
Two lions assisted St. Anthony in digging the grave.
The details of St. Paul the Hermit's life can be found in the Vita Pauli by St. Jerome and preserved in both Latin and Greek.

I don't know what St. Paul the Hermit did to become a saint.
Does anyone know?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
St. Paul the Hermit

It looks like it was because he lived in the cave all those years.
I guess if I did that I'd be a saint to..not too much temptation or sin to fall into!
Not quite sure how Jerome could 'attest' to Paul's sainthood...as he wasn't living there too! Hmmm

But, before I post the quote...my question is for @aspen and @BreadOfLife =
Is "living in a cave" and staying separated from sin and temptation..not helping the poor, or widows and children, not seeking the lost, or sowing the gospel seed ...what Christianity is all about? I can see that it says he prayed.
Not really much else to do.
Maybe they know much more about this Paul than we do.

Quote:-
He went on to live in that cave for the next 90 years. A nearby spring gave him drink, a palm tree furnished him clothing and nourishment. After 21 years of solitude, a bird began bringing him half of a loaf of bread each day. Without knowing what was happening in the world, Paul prayed that the world would become a better place.

Saint Anthony of Egypt attests to his holy life and death. Tempted by the thought that no one had served God in the wilderness longer than he, Anthony was led by God to find Paul and acknowledge him as a man more perfect than himself. The raven that day brought a whole loaf of bread instead of the usual half. As Paul predicted, Anthony would return to bury his new friend.

Thought to have been about 112 when he died, Paul is known as the “First Hermit.” His feast day is celebrated in the East; he is also commemorated in the Coptic and Armenian rites of the Mass.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks like it was because he lived in the cave all those years.
I guess if I did that I'd be a saint to..not too much temptation or sin to fall into!
Not quite sure how Jerome could 'attest' to Paul's sainthood...as he wasn't living there too! Hmmm

But, before I post the quote...my question is for @aspen and @BreadOfLife =
Is "living in a cave" and staying separated from sin and temptation..not helping the poor, or widows and children, not seeking the lost, or sowing the gospel seed ...what Christianity is all about? I can see that it says he prayed.

Not really much else to do.
Maybe they know much more about this Paul than we do.

Quote:-
He went on to live in that cave for the next 90 years. A nearby spring gave him drink, a palm tree furnished him clothing and nourishment. After 21 years of solitude, a bird began bringing him half of a loaf of bread each day. Without knowing what was happening in the world, Paul prayed that the world would become a better place.

Saint Anthony of Egypt attests to his holy life and death. Tempted by the thought that no one had served God in the wilderness longer than he, Anthony was led by God to find Paul and acknowledge him as a man more perfect than himself. The raven that day brought a whole loaf of bread instead of the usual half. As Paul predicted, Anthony would return to bury his new friend.

Thought to have been about 112 when he died, Paul is known as the “First Hermit.” His feast day is celebrated in the East; he is also commemorated in the Coptic and Armenian rites of the Mass.
When Jesus went out into the desert for 40 days - was He "helping" anyone?
Praying for people is the BEST thing you can do for them.

Not ALL of us are called to do the same things in the Body of Christ.
Scripture tells us that we are all called to do different things for God:

1 Cor. 12:29:31

Are ALL apostles? Are ALL prophets? Are ALL teachers? Do ALL work mighty deeds?
Do ALL have gifts of healing? Do ALL speak in tongues? Do ALL interpret?
Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.

Reactions: Helen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People avoid being alone because they have to face themselves - for many there is nothing more frightening and temptation is always present to derail us from prayer amd intimacy with God.

Loving others includes focused prayer, which monks and ascetics spend a good deal of time doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: pia and Helen