Staying Healthy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Latte Queen

Feb 21, 2017
BC
I have struggled with my weight all my life My husband does not think I need to lose weight
I am active I walk alot I try to eat normally but I like my Sangria, wine and chocolate

just need some advice please

if others struggle too

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Latte Queen said:
I have struggled with my weight all my life My husband does not think I need to lose weight
I am active I walk alot I try to eat normally but I like my Sangria, wine and chocolate

just need some advice please

if others struggle too
Try fasting, but for the right reasons, to deny the flesh and become more spiritual and getting closer to God. Start slow with a 24 hour fast. Later, with a three day fast. People in concentration camps don't struggle with overweight problem. Because they don't eat enough.

Stranger

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Stranger said:
Try fasting, but for the right reasons, to deny the flesh and become more spiritual and getting closer to God. Start slow with a 24 hour fast. Later, with a three day fast. People in concentration camps don't struggle with overweight problem. Because they don't eat enough.

Stranger
Fast in order to lose weight and that is what you get. Fast to be nearer to God and that is what you'll get. It is a sacred time not to be diminished by alterior motives.

If you just want to lose weight then don't fast, diet. The down sides of fasting outweighs the benefits if you do it only to lose weight.

Now if your weight were so bad you wanted God's help, I could understand that.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless you are carrying a lot of extra weight or have some medical condition, I think you otherwise sound normal. Worrying excessively about weight is like the other myths like cholesterol, saturated fats and salt. It's based on FUD and stuff they push that you "need", be it (what I call) numbers lowering drugs, drugs for emotions, weight or whatever. Women especially are concerned about body image but it's them (and perhaps the devil himself) laying this fear, guilt and inadequacy on oneself. It's been taken at the cross. Trust me, most guys don't mind as evidenced by what your own husband is saying. I know. I say the same thing to my wife, who is half my weight (I should be the one losing) and she beats herself up ad nauseum. So I don't expect you to listen to me, either, but that's the way it is -- useless worrying about the flesh. Think on spiritual things and that should take care of itself, otherwise, I'd say what you weigh is normal for you and stop trying to change the course of nature.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Latte Queen said:
It's good that your husband likes you as you are.
But perhaps you should ask your doctor if you need to lose weight for health reasons.

Nice things like wine and chocolate are great in moderation - but how much of them are you eating?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Where are you carrying your weight?
And, how prone to infections are you? UTIs, yeast infections, nail, skin, and/or ear infections, etc.
How many times have you had antibiotics in the last five years?
(these decimate your gut and other flora, and wreak havoc with digestion and immunity)

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with chocolate and sweets. Just understand that weight gain is a simple math equation. If you take in more calories than you burn off, you will store those calories as fat cells. The answer is not merely to diet and cut off all high calorie foods, but to get active and increase calorie burn and metabolism. I know I started to struggle with a bit of a tummy by sitting behind a desk too much. I have incorporated regular runs and weight lifting sessions into my week and the excess weight vanished...without really changing my diet...other than quitting soft drinks for the most part.

Reactions: Follower2

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
Nothing wrong with chocolate and sweets. Just understand that weight gain is a simple math equation. If you take in more calories than you burn off, you will store those calories as fat cells. The answer is not merely to diet and cut off all high calorie foods, but to get active and increase calorie burn and metabolism. I know I started to struggle with a bit of a tummy by sitting behind a desk too much. I have incorporated regular runs and weight lifting sessions into my week and the excess weight vanished...without really changing my diet...other than quitting soft drinks for the most part.
Well, they are proving that's not always the case. Wish it were. What they are finding is that eating natural foods (i.e. in close to its natural form, minimal processing) keeps the pounds off better than processed with the same calories (I forget where I just read that study, but google it sometime). In a sense you are right, but if one eats all sugary foods, where are the B-complex vitamins to burn them off? So the person gets lethargic (sugar low after a sugar high) and the body stores the rest as fat. If there are proper nutrients in the body, the person has more energy and guess what? He burns them off faster, even while "resting". So yeah, your simple equation works in a sense, but what happens is people really cut the calories, still don't lose (body goes into starvation mode perhaps due to poor nutrition to begin with), and then cut even more and yes, they eventually lose weight, along with illness, lethargy and so forth. Then nobody wants to live that way, so they "give up". Perhaps its not so much the weight as the health. Some people are bigger than others. I have 3 cats, all fed the same thing. One's a downright fatty, the other two are slim (they are siblings). Yes she can jump and run as fast as the others and is otherwise in excellent health for a 13-year-old cat. Cats only eat when they are hungry and she is not a piggy, and they are not conscious about body image. I don't know why people can't accept the same instead of being persuaded by this Babylonian system of thinness and hedonism.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
i eat sweets pretty much every night, but that is after feeding my gut right during the day. The signs of a candida gut are many and obvious, and thankfully this is getting attention now. Muscle tone has a lot to do with resting metabolism, and if one is out of tone in many muscles, their flame has basically turned into a candle, and it is interesting to note that in people of much girth, their gut profile is identical to a starving person's. Which i do not entirely get, as a 3 day fast is indicated for Candida eradication; but i inevitably see Candida overgrowth in most of my overweight clients, who are referred to me after failing physical therapy. It is hard to turn a candle back into a flame, because now one is fighting a lifetime of habits. For the record, yoga and/or swimming seem to be the best remedial pursuits for this.

Reactions: liafailrock

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
i eat sweets pretty much every night, but that is after feeding my gut right during the day. The signs of a candida gut are many and obvious, and thankfully this is getting attention now. Muscle tone has a lot to do with resting metabolism, and if one is out of tone in many muscles, their flame has basically turned into a candle, and it is interesting to note that in people of much girth, their gut profile is identical to a starving person's. Which i do not entirely get, as a 3 day fast is indicated for Candida eradication; but i inevitably see Candida overgrowth in most of my overweight clients, who are referred to me after failing physical therapy. It is hard to turn a candle back into a flame, because now one is fighting a lifetime of habits. For the record, yoga and/or swimming seem to be the best remedial pursuits for this.
Yes, beside nutrition (which I talk about a lot) the other side of the coin is good gut bacteria. I suspect that grows well with fermenting vegetables (such as cabbage) and even good beer. LOL. And yes, there is something to be said about fasting. Christians ought to fast on the Day of Atonement but other fasts are good as well. The body clears out the junk that way. I suspect our Lord knew that. He did not designate those feast days for losing weight or getting healthy, per se, but the practice of them has the secondary result of being healthier.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
liafailrock said:
Yes, beside nutrition (which I talk about a lot) the other side of the coin is good gut bacteria. I suspect that grows well with fermenting vegetables (such as cabbage) and even good beer. LOL. And yes, there is something to be said about fasting. Christians ought to fast on the Day of Atonement but other fasts are good as well. The body clears out the junk that way. I suspect our Lord knew that. He did not designate those feast days for losing weight or getting healthy, per se, but the practice of them has the secondary result of being healthier.
you might note that it is really hard to buy fermented food--virtually impossible. Even store-bought kimchi is yack now, and of course our "pickles" have all been vinegared forever, beer is all pasteurized, etc. Luckily fermentation is in a renaissance, but you have to seek it, you cannot buy even the cultures or equipment in most stores now.

Personally i love this, because i do not pay sales tax, and i note that anywhere cultured food is, is grey or black market. Open Bazaar is a great place to get cultured food, if you have BTC.

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
you might note that it is really hard to buy fermented food--virtually impossible. Even store-bought kimchi is yack now, and of course our "pickles" have all been vinegared forever, beer is all pasteurized, etc. Luckily fermentation is in a renaissance, but you have to seek it, you cannot buy even the cultures or equipment in most stores now.

Personally i love this, because i do not pay sales tax, and i note that anywhere cultured food is, is grey or black market. Open Bazaar is a great place to get cultured food, if you have BTC.
I agree. That's why I said "good beer". LOL Seriously, you are right. I fear for our diet and mock doctors who say, "get a well balanced diet". Before the modern age, that was possible, but now not so much so. Too many GMO's. It's a shame. As for probiotics, there's only 2-3 or so useful bacteria. The digestive system is complex. Each person is somewhat different with HUNDREDS (not 2 or 3) bacteria. SO even they don't help completely. I wish Christians would see this and not repeat mainline doctrinal stuff from the severely erroneous medical establishment.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Amen. If you are chronically depriving your own cells of Omega 3, and encouraging Candida rather than beneficial biotics to your gut, you cannot help but develop health issues; just what the doctor ordered. I guess lactobacillus fermentation develops the other probiotics in whatever food you might ferment, which are mostly going to be or seem "foreign" to most Americans now, and i guess you can buy fermented food online now, but it is really quite inexpensive if you just do it yourself, you shouldn't need any of the containers or lids they might try to sell you, as long as you have some glass. There is a great site that pops up in my FB feed now and then, can't recall her handle right now, but here is a primer https://wellnessmama.com/2245/health-benefits-fermented-foods/.

i showed these to mom, who is always in the kitchen looking for new stuff to make, and she looked at me like i was a martian, lol. She makes homemade salt-cured sauerkraut, being German, but lacto fermentation is hippy food to her, i guess. Just getting off of sterile milk onto raw helps a lot, though; but that is not cheap. And i guess there is an adjustment period for many, so imo don't let that put you off. Can't think of the last time i had any kind of infection; i was prolly in my 20s. So, like 30 years ago.

Not to portray everyone in Gov as evil, but there is a program of population reduction, and you are the pop that needs to be reduced, which is why atrazine and unfermented soy are jammed up every orifice, all of your store bought candles are even soy, just like all of your milk products come from sterile (pasteurized) milk. All store-bought produce is sterilized, with budnip or the like. This stuff is all death on a stick. Funny to me that people go to doctors, who do not live as long as the pop in general. The "dead doctors don't lie" guy can tell you more there.

Reactions: liafailrock

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
You can buy fermented foods in health food stores, they will always be in the refrigerated section because they are perishable. I bought some old fashioned fermented dill pickles today, which you will not find in most grocery stores.

The big brand named pickles contain vinegar to give them the sour flavor, because real dill pickles get their flavor from the fermentation. Big brands are also heated in the canning process which would kill any probiotics.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
liafailrock said:
Well, they are proving that's not always the case. Wish it were. What they are finding is that eating natural foods (i.e. in close to its natural form, minimal processing) keeps the pounds off better than processed with the same calories (I forget where I just read that study, but google it sometime). In a sense you are right, but if one eats all sugary foods, where are the B-complex vitamins to burn them off? So the person gets lethargic (sugar low after a sugar high) and the body stores the rest as fat. If there are proper nutrients in the body, the person has more energy and guess what? He burns them off faster, even while "resting". So yeah, your simple equation works in a sense, but what happens is people really cut the calories, still don't lose (body goes into starvation mode perhaps due to poor nutrition to begin with), and then cut even more and yes, they eventually lose weight, along with illness, lethargy and so forth. Then nobody wants to live that way, so they "give up". Perhaps its not so much the weight as the health. Some people are bigger than others. I have 3 cats, all fed the same thing. One's a downright fatty, the other two are slim (they are siblings). Yes she can jump and run as fast as the others and is otherwise in excellent health for a 13-year-old cat. Cats only eat when they are hungry and she is not a piggy, and they are not conscious about body image. I don't know why people can't accept the same instead of being persuaded by this Babylonian system of thinness and hedonism.
I read that a study was done (I believe at Baylor) where the diet was candy bars and the person lost weight simply because they were burning more calories than consuming. Ultimately, your body breaks everything down into glucose which provides energy to your body. Clearly the types of food you eat are important because they have nutrients your body needs to remain healthy (fiber, proteins, vitamins, etc). Moreover, some foods are more difficult for your body to break down. Yet, my basic point is that we shouldn't get caught up too much in fancy diets and so forth because the bottom line is that no matter how fancy your diet is, if you are consuming more calories than you are burning, you aren't going to lose weight. if you consume 3000 calories of protein shakes and chicken breasts a day but only burn off 2000, you won't lose weight. If you consume 1,000 calories of candy a day and burn 2,000 you will lose weight (although I don't recommend that because your body needs proteins and so forth to rebuild muscles, etc.).