Stores closing in the cities due to lawlessness.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was looking at the news this morning when this came on..

"Over 100 masked teens ransack and loot Philadelphia stores, police say
Police say groups of teenagers swarmed into stores in several areas of Philadelphia, stuffing plastic bags with merchandise and fleeing"

And when I went to look, found even more on how stores are being closed in major cities because of theft and organized crime

Target said it will close nine stores across the country after struggling with crime and safety threats at those locations.
Target, which has nearly 2,000 stores in the U.S., has been outspoken about organized retail crime at its stores and said theft has driven higher levels of shrink.
Target is closing locations in New York City, Seattle, San Francisco and Portland....

"Walmart closes 4 Chicago locations permanently, leaving residents with fewer shopping options"

"Whole Foods closes San Francisco flagship store after one year, citing worker safety"

"As Walmart shuts down four stores in crime-ridden Dem-led Chicago, DailyMail.com lists all the big box shops - from Macy's to Target - which have closed due to millions in losses from rampant theft
Major retailers in the US have been forced to shut down shops due to millions of dollars in losses, as rampant theft plagues big box stores across the country.
In 2021, companies lost a combined $94.5billion to shrink, a term used to describe theft and other types of inventory loss
Here DailyMail.com lists all the big box stores which have been forced to close their doors after being savaged by rising theft.... "

I had been following the closings in Oregon and California when it seemed to spread to other states..

Looks like there is no fear of God or even less of the law, and this becomes a real danger for everyone. It just seems the major cities are becoming a place to leave if not now, as soon as is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chains Broken

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Major retailers leaving an area is going to be worse than just losing a shopping option.

It's called urban blight and a brown site.

When shopping centers close because there are no renters for the spaces what happens to these spaces?
What becomes of abandoned shopping malls?

What does a corporation do with the property when it's dead money on the books?

What does the city do with the property after the bankrupt corporation doesn't pay property taxes and the city confiscated it?

Dead shopping malls.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Los Angeles has been having a lot of these smash and grab crimes for awhile now.
Both at major department stores and also jewelry stores.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Major retailers leaving an area is going to be worse than just losing a shopping option.

It's called urban blight and a brown site.

When shopping centers close because there are no renters for the spaces what happens to these spaces?
What becomes of abandoned shopping malls?

What does a corporation do with the property when it's dead money on the books?

What does the city do with the property after the bankrupt corporation doesn't pay property taxes and the city confiscated it?

Dead shopping malls.
What do they do with empty retail properties? Write them off as a loss every tax season.

Dollar Tree is closing select stores too. None in my area so far. DT also owns Family Dollar.

The mobs described in the OP appeared long ago. Only at their inception they were called flash mobs.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dollar Tree is closing select stores too.
All 99 Cent Stores are closing, too. Liquidation sales started today.

Sorry to see them go... although because of mobility I haven't gone to one for awhile.

I wish they would have just raised prices somewhat more. I'm sure they still would have been cheaper than other stores.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looks like there is no fear of God or even less of the law, and this becomes a real danger for everyone. It just seems the major cities are becoming a place to leave if not now, as soon as is possible.
Prophecy

People will love only themselves and money. They will be proud, stuck-up, rude, and disobedient to their parents. They will also be ungrateful, godless
2 Timothy 3:2

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All 99 Cent Stores are closing, too. Liquidation sales started today.

Sorry to see them go... although because of mobility I haven't gone to one for awhile.

I wish they would have just raised prices somewhat more. I'm sure they still would have been cheaper than other stores.

It's not because their prices were so low.... it's because the demographic they serve was stealing from them.

"Shrink" is the number one reason for the closures. That's a PC word for theft.

Reactions: Debp

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what happens when woke District Attorneys do not punish people for crimes. No consequences = increased crimes

Yes. Brilliant move.... defunding the ones who defend these neighborhoods. Remove law enforcement and you get lawlessness.

Elections have consequences. This is one of them.

Reactions: Debp and Adrift

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This increase in thievery is not a novelty of our times, and neither is it particularly prophetic. There is nothing new under the sun, after all.

Solomon gave the cause of this long ago in Ecclesiastes 8:11.

"Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."

That's what happens when woke District Attorneys do not punish people for crimes. No consequences = increased crimes
Yep, humanity just keeps repeating stupidity over the centuries.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do they do with empty retail properties?
Sell them off....usually institutional REITS buy them and rent them out. They are retail space. Usually good for another boutique of some sort....possibly foodservice depending. Maybe a convenience store or pawn shop.
Usually, if you can get it, a former Walgreens is a great location for a drive through restaurant or coffee shop.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of us in L.A. County want D.A. George Gascon out of office. I never voted for him....voted for Jackie Lacey, a black lady who held the office for years.

When he got elected a few years ago, he changed a lot of laws to become soft on crime. Then we got an upsurge in crime, especially thefts, burglaries, smash and grab, home invasions.

Reactions: Adrift

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of us in L.A. County want D.A. George Gascon out of office. I never voted for him....voted for Jackie Lacey, a black lady who held the office for years.

When he got elected a few years ago, he changed a lot of laws to become soft on crime. Then we got an upsurge in crime, especially thefts, burglaries, smash and grab, home invasions.

Gascon protects the criminals, not the citizens. No surprise considering that Gascón's campaign was endorsed by California Governor Gavin Newsom, vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris, U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, and U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren. All pro-criminal, pro-perversion, and anti-police. They should all be turned into salt.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gascon protects the criminals, not the citizens. No surprise considering that Gascón's campaign was endorsed by California Governor Gavin Newsom, vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris, U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders, and U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren. All pro-criminal, pro-perversion, and anti-police. They should all be turned into salt.
I'll be voting Nathan Hochman who realizes criminals need prosecuting in order to protect victims, citizens.

Reactions: Adrift