Stress Eating

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I think that if God made us master over the flesh immediately then we would lose compassion for others. Walk in the Spirit ! Don't worry about it while God perfects you! Don't let the evil Kingdom beat you up! God loves you all the time!!!!!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I stress eat from depression. Is this a sin or what? I have no Idea
I have struggled with depression too and there are all kinds of symptoms that can manifest such as emotional eating. Meditating on God's Word and His healing promises for me always helps alot, but that's not to rule out counseling and/or meds if you feel you need it. And no, I don't see it as a sin...I see it as a treatable illness. God bless you and I hope you feel better soon.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
I have struggled with depression too and there are all kinds of symptoms that can manifest such as emotional eating. Meditating on God's Word and His healing promises for me always helps alot, but that's not to rule out counseling and/or meds if you feel you need it. And no, I don't see it as a sin...I see it as a treatable illness. God bless you and I hope you feel better soon.
Yes I am at peace knowing that There is a place for me, i am depressed because I ruined my teenage years that were supposed to be fun for me. I was preaching the gospel to everyone too. Why did I leave? anyways thank you for your opinion God bless

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I stress eat from depression. Is this a sin or what? I have no Idea

Hey Warrior! I too have struggled from stress eating. I had many other problems too...a chronic illness, depression, etc, but the emotional eating feels like it has been with me forever! I've struggled with my weight over the years, and nothing I did seemed to help. And I felt terrible about it...not just because being fat hits your 'self esteem', but because listening to sermons and reading the bible led me to believe that what I was doing could be considered gluttony. Man...that really concerned me, but I couldn't seem to stop...not on my own, anyway.
Eventually I was led to see that people, by ourselves, are not capable of changing our behaviours just out of our will alone. In everything it is God and the Holy Spirit that gives us the strength to change! And so I begged God to help me, that I couldn't do it by myself. And not straight away, but near enough...I lost that compulsion to eat. I'm still not perfect, I still eat things that are perhaps not the most healthy alternate...but I'm not longer needing to munch away my depression, or concerns...or everything else!
So I would advise you to do two things: really try and dig into what's causing you to eat. I know you said depression, but is there something else? The bible tells us something is a sin, when in times of trouble, or joy, or anything, we run to it, rather than to God. Why are you running to food, instead of our loving Saviour?
And two: reach out to God! Ask Him to help you, confess that it is destructive behaviour that you want to change, that you want to see only Him in any situation...good or bad. If you are sincere in your desire to change...He will help you, eventually!

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Hey Warrior! I too have struggled from stress eating. I had many other problems too...a chronic illness, depression, etc, but the emotional eating feels like it has been with me forever! I've struggled with my weight over the years, and nothing I did seemed to help. And I felt terrible about it...not just because being fat hits your 'self esteem', but because listening to sermons and reading the bible led me to believe that what I was doing could be considered gluttony. Man...that really concerned me, but I couldn't seem to stop...not on my own, anyway.
Eventually I was led to see that people, by ourselves, are not capable of changing our behaviours just out of our will alone. In everything it is God and the Holy Spirit that gives us the strength to change! And so I begged God to help me, that I couldn't do it by myself. And not straight away, but near enough...I lost that compulsion to eat. I'm still not perfect, I still eat things that are perhaps not the most healthy alternate...but I'm not longer needing to munch away my depression, or concerns...or everything else!
So I would advise you to do two things: really try and dig into what's causing you to eat. I know you said depression, but is there something else? The bible tells us something is a sin, when in times of trouble, or joy, or anything, we run to it, rather than to God. Why are you running to food, instead of our loving Saviour?
And two: reach out to God! Ask Him to help you, confess that it is destructive behaviour that you want to change, that you want to see only Him in any situation...good or bad. If you are sincere in your desire to change...He will help you, eventually!
I pray every single say about this depression, I just eat to get by you know? I believe The Lord will help me fix this I believe.