Sufism – The Islamic Mystical Path of Love and Surrender

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shanmugam

Aug 19, 2019
Tirunelveli
Faith
Other Faith
Country
India
True islam involves three things: surrender to the will of God and Holy Jihad, which is actually a war against one’s own ignorance and delusion, and unconditional love towards God. The concept of oneness in Islam is so subtle that it is misunderstood by 98% of the people. So, the Quranic verses that came through Muhammad was tailored to suit the understanding of the barbaric, uncivilized people who lived in Arabia back then. People were making idols and eating the pieces of them, and were also killing female children alive.

How can the oneness of God be understood by these people when it deifies the minds of people who are living in a technologically advanced, scientifically progressed and culturally more civilized modern world? But still, Quran seems to preserve the essence, as Sufis seem to interpret it in a way that is so close to the essence of various thoughts of schools of ancient India, Greece and China. The violent verses in Quran need to be interpreted with the right context, as a verse intended to convey how one has to defend oneself. It was true that a large number of people were trying to kill Prophet Muhammad and those verses should be taken as inspiration that Muhammad gave to Muslims to be ready for the war as a self defence. It was a need of the hour.

Also, It seems to make sense to think that Muhammad was a very compassionate and intelligent person, going by the things that have been written about Muhammad. He is described by various authors of his time as an extremely compassionate and caring person. He was also a conqueror by his psychological nature and was a Kshatriya in the lingo of Hinduism. He seemed to have created a revival in the society and culture.

His main teaching was the oneness of God, surrendering to the will of God (taking what comes in life and not struggle against the nature; surrender itself gives a deep sense of peace) and unconditional love towards God. Everything else he said was culturally specific and also specific to the social conditions of the time he lived. Because, there are multiple ways to approach divine. As long as the essence of a spiritual path is love and meditation and conveys the oneness of God, it is the right path.

Now, what is this oneness of God? It doesn’t just mean that there is no other God apart from him. It means that nothing else has an existence apart from him. This is what one without the second means, and it is the literal meaning of the word Advaita (without second). Oneness of God is something that is realized in one’s experience. Words of prophets and Imams can only guide you towards realizing it on your own. They cannot describe the oneness because the oneness and the unity of Gods cannot be described in words, even though people always give it a try. You have to walk the path and dissolve yourself in the process.

Let me put it this way. Imagine that there is a water in a glass tub and an ice cube is floating in it. There are two clearly manifest entities in the bathtub now: an ice cube and the given volume of water. But when finally the ice cube melts and becomes one with water, ice cube has lost its independent existence. Now there is complete oneness, one without a second. Same thing happens psychologically to a true Muslim. He is like the ice cube and the water is like God. He loses his psychological boundaries and his sense of independent existence. Then he gets his true afterlife, which actually happens while living in the body. In this afterlife, there is eternal peace and bliss. This is when a Muslim truly understands the oneness of God; this is when it is possible to understand it in the first place.

To put it in Christian terminology, this is when you discover the Kingdom of God inside you, become spiritually reborn, get a mind like a small child, become baptized by the Holy spirit and enjoy the gifts it brings such as peace, joy, kindness, goodness, a deep trust in existence etc.

To put it in Hindu terminology, this is when you finish your sanchita karma, get atma jnana or self realization and understand the true meaning of Advaita. This is when you are twice born or dvija. In the terminology of Upanishads, this is when you are really a Brahmin, a knower of Brahman!

Spiritual wisdom is so subtle and can be easily misunderstood. But it is the central nerve that runs through every major religion. It is also the same in all religions. People focus more on the skeleton and skin instead of the flesh. How would you feel if I come to your home on Ramadan, get a plate of delicious mutton Biryani from you, throw the flesh and eat the bones? God has given a feast to you. But you are fighting among yourselves in proving whose plate has more number of bones, when it is actually an all-you-can-eat-buffet. Spiritual wisdom of oneness of God and realizing that oneness in one’s own experience by walking on the path of unconditional love and surrender brings out the flesh of the feast that Allah has given you in this wonderful party of life! Alhamdulillah الحمد لله (All praise goes to God!).

Islam openly shares two elements of self purification that it shares with Bhagavad Gita: 1) Doing one’s duties while surrendering oneself to the Will of God or karmayoga 2)Showing unconditional love towards God, long to unite with him and go through a pain of suffering until the Unity of God is experienced in one’s experience or bhakti yoga. But Bhagavad Gita also has something called Jnana Yoga which Islam too secretly shares through the path of Sufism. Sufism is not just about love and surrender but also about getting the true knowledge of oneness of God through one’s experience. Muhammad gave the Sufi teachings to his cousin and son-in-law Ali. Almost all Sufi orders trace their origins to Ali.

You can read the verses of the great Sufi Mystic and poet Rumi here: Best Quotes and Poems of Jalaluddin Rumi

I also want to share some Quotes by various Sufis and my comments at the end:

69967899_10217981211216317_1070902683113619456_o.jpg
70346638_10217981296658453_5869920786852085760_o.jpg
69967899_10217981211216317_1070902683113619456_o.jpg

69496157_10217981393340870_5140165071137144832_o.jpg

69694331_10217981209856283_6705660970988994560_o.jpg
ar-rahman.png

names-of-allah.png

islam-concept.png

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God is bigger than what any one person or group can perceive. And He does work in mysterious ways. His ways are higher than our own.

All who fear Him and do what is right are acceptable to Him.

Acts 10:34
34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:35 But in every nation he that fears him, and works righteousness, is accepted with him.

However, there is but one path to real intimacy to God...to a walk in the resurrected life of Jesus...and that is through Christ.

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my, I looked into that mirror you posted and I didn’t see anything! Does this mean I am a vampire?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For all the many words spoken by self proclaimed prophets Jesus says, 'I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father except by me'
He also said, ' all who ever came before me were thieves and liars'

Its not possible to dance at two parties at the same time.....If we are not for him Jesus says, we are against him' .....'if we are not gathering we are scattering'

The exclusiveness of Jesus words make him either arrogant or they make him who he said he is ie, God revealed to mankind.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It also says if they are not against us, they are for us

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It also says if they are not against us, they are for us
In context this is true. Taken out of context this text will be used to justify any position that twists truth.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In context this is true. Taken out of context this text will be used to justify any position that twists truth.

Ok.

But we are supposed to read the Bible in context. Anything can be dangerous if it is used incorrectly. Adam and Eve ate the fruit, using it out of context; now look at us!

Last edited:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My avatar is supposed to be Moses

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sufism – The Islamic Mystical Path of Love and Surrender
Sufism is another aspect of Mysticism. But Mysticism is not taught in the Gospel of Christ. Instead the supernatural New Birth is taught as an absolute necessity (John 3:3-5). To come as little children and be born again by the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit. But in order to do so, everyone (including Sufis) must repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as the only Savior of the world. There is no salvation outside of Christ, and there can be no relationship to God the Father unless it is through His only begotten Son who died for the sins of the whole world.