Sunday Sabbath keeping!< Versus> Gods Original Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why in this information age, are most Christians keeping Sunday? The information is available at the touch of a mouse. The Sabbath was changed by a Roman Emperor, He passed a Law that no one would any longer keep any of the Jewish Feasts or their Sabbaths. We will keep the First Day of the week,Sunday, and if you disobeyed this Law you were Executed. Constantine was a worshiper of Sol Invictus Mithra, The Sun God!! Thus Sun-Day! By keeping Sun-Day we are obeying a Roman Emperor. Not the Fourth Commandment,or God, Or our Savior. In Matthew 19: 16-17 Yeshua is approached by a young man that says- ver 16- Good teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? 17- Yeshua says to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into Life, Keep the Commandments" verses 18-19 Yeshua gives a overview of the 10 Commandments.
Council Of Laodica, Canon 29 - Christians must not Judaize by resting on the Sabbath, BUT MUST WORK on that Day honoring rather the lords day by resting, if possible,as Christians, However, if any shall be found Judaizing, let them be shut out from Christ???
A Law changes the Sabbath, and then we are ordered to work on that day, which God said that thou shall do no work on the Sabbath, 6 days shall you work and on the 7th day you shall rest!

Reactions: KBCid

Copperhead

Jul 3, 2017
iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When folks get on this kick, usually they really don’t think it much deeper than the surface.

Acts 20, we see the example. It is more than likely the meetings were held on the evening at the end of Shabbat. The first day starts at sundown on Shabbat. A meal that closes the Shabbat, the Havdalah meal, which is also called “the Lord’s Supper” even to this day in Jewish circles.

In Acts 20, they had eaten. Paul was speaking thru the night since he was leaving the next day. Eutychus has his tummy full and falls asleep sitting in a window and falls out.

Paul also makes it clear elsewhere that collections should be done on 1st day. The Shabbat evening Havdalah closes the Shabbat and starts 1st day.

Now for those that get on a Shabbat kick, remember that collections and offerings are prohibited on Shabbat. Also, it is the Torah (law) that no one kindle a fire on Shabbat. That would include starting a car and driving to a service. An internal combustion engine operates by fire.

And it is required on Yom Kippur (the most significant High Shabbat - Day of Atonement) that one fast the entire 24 hrs. Most folks who get on Shabbat only discussions probably have no clue when Yom Kippur is. And what of the other High Shabbat times? And a Shabbat can fall on any day, not only 7th day.

Unless one follos every detail regarding Shabbat, they are guilty of violating Shabbat and there is no room to judge what others do regarding a day.

This is why the scripture says if one fails on any point of the law, they are guilty of violating it all. And the bulk of Shabbat only advocates violate some aspect of the Shabbat. I see a batch of law breakers every Shabbat at a local SDA church parking lot that is filled with cars on Shabbat. That is the definition of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHII

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont. I keep everyday to Him, makes no difference.

Exodus 31:16-17
16- Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.
17-It is a sign between Me and the Children of Israel FOREVER; For in Six Days the Lord made the Heavens and the Earth, and on the Seventh day He rested and was refreshed. OK before you take offense! I know this was for the children of Israel!!
Exodus 19:5-6
5- Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My Voice and keep My Covenant, then you shall be a special Treasure to Me above all people; for the Earth is Mine.
6- And you shall be to Me a Kingdom of Priests and a Holy nation! This is also for the children of Israel, which were a Mixed Multitude!
1st Peter 2:7-9
Therefore, to you who believe, He is Precious; but to those who are disobedient, "The Stone which the builders rejected, Has become the chief cornerstone",
8- "And, a stone of stumbling, And a rock of offense" They stumble, being disobedient to the Word, to which they also were appointed.
9- But You are a Chosen generation, A Royal Priesthood, A Holy Nation, His own Special people, that you may proclaim the Praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His Marvelous Light. There is a correlation between Exodus 19:6 and 1st Peter 2:9
The Scripture states that we are Grafted into the Root and Fatness of Israel, and we also share in the Commonwealth Of Israel. and as the Sabbath was established for man, why not keep it!
In Matthew 24: 20 our Savior must have been mistaken when HE Said! "Pray that your flight may not be in the Winter or on the Sabbath!!!
was He just Assuming that the true Believers in the Future would be Keeping the Sabbath,!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But... if Jesus is the Sabbath, the place of Rest, should we be resting in Him only one day of each week rather than at all times on all days?

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

And then with regard to designating a specific day for someone who has never had such a day...

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." Col 2:16-17

In the OT there were many shadows of many things and observance of the literal sabbath day from Friday evening to Saturday evening was one of them. There are also shadows in the NT. A key for us to be able to discern between shadows and reality according to God.

"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." Gen 2:1-3

Jesus has now begun a work in us for we are the vessel where the work is needed to bring it all to completion... for is the end of it all a Body for Jesus. Jesus did his work for himself and designated it as finished when he said, "It is finished" [John 19:30]. But... that was the work the Head had to do to be complete as a Head, but the work in His Body is still incomplete until we have each overcome the world as Jesus overcame the world:

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

The rewards of overcomers are shown in chapters 2 and 3 of the Book of Revelation. Would we stop His work in us before the 6 days are finished? When is the week of work complete in us?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcopymope and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I don't, and haven't for many years...but once in a while I have gone to a gathering on a Sunday...because that was where the church is...the people themselves..not a religious service.

Sunday worship became just another religious practice.
I once heard that the numerical number of the word Tradition ( be it Sunday meetings at 11 am or what) ...
is 666

Many enjoy going to "church" on Sunday morning...get the God-bit over with, then the rest of the week is their own!! :rolleyes:

Being a believing believer is a way of life...not just a Sunday ritual.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Being a believing believer is a way of life...not just a Sunday ritual
Mention that to some church goers and they just think we're weird...At least that is what I found...Some unbelievers would no doubt think we have totally lost our minds, including the Lord in our every day...They just don't have any clue what they are missing out on....:)

Reactions: Helen

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
But... if Jesus is the Sabbath
<snip>

Not to pick on you, for I enjoy many of your posts. What do you make of:

Heb 4:9 There remains therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his works, as God did from his.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I do not think it matters whether someone keeps particular feasts, festivals or Sabbath's or not, especially since these things were just shadows of things to come, the substance being of "Christ". Colossians 2 says ~

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why in this information age, are most Christians keeping Sunday? The information is available at the touch of a mouse. The Sabbath was changed by a Roman Emperor, He passed a Law that no one would any longer keep any of the Jewish Feasts or their Sabbaths. We will keep the First Day of the week,Sunday, and if you disobeyed this Law you were Executed. Constantine was a worshiper of Sol Invictus Mithra, The Sun God!! Thus Sun-Day! By keeping Sun-Day we are obeying a Roman Emperor. Not the Fourth Commandment,or God, Or our Savior. In Matthew 19: 16-17 Yeshua is approached by a young man that says- ver 16- Good teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? 17- Yeshua says to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into Life, Keep the Commandments" verses 18-19 Yeshua gives a overview of the 10 Commandments.
Council Of Laodica, Canon 29 - Christians must not Judaize by resting on the Sabbath, BUT MUST WORK on that Day honoring rather the lords day by resting, if possible,as Christians, However, if any shall be found Judaizing, let them be shut out from Christ???
A Law changes the Sabbath, and then we are ordered to work on that day, which God said that thou shall do no work on the Sabbath, 6 days shall you work and on the 7th day you shall rest!

Why is it so important to you as to whatever day Christians decide to worship the Lord on? Is this a salvation issue to you?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Apostle Paul wrote letters to several local churches in various cities.
The local church is an obvious institution in the New Testament.
If a Christian denies, in their heart, the clear instruction to join a local assembly of Believers, they are willfully sinning.

I don't, and haven't for many years...but once in a while I have gone to a gathering on a Sunday...because that was where the church is...the people themselves..not a religious service.

Sunday worship became just another religious practice.
I once heard that the numerical number of the word Tradition ( be it Sunday meetings at 11 am or what) ...
is 666

Many enjoy going to "church" on Sunday morning...get the God-bit over with, then the rest of the week is their own!! :rolleyes:

Being a believing believer is a way of life...not just a Sunday ritual.

Christians are commanded to fellowship with a local body of Christians (Acts 2:42); including the breaking of bread (the table of unity), corporate prayer, and hearing the preached Word.

Excuses for willful disobedience:
1. The church is "...the people themselves...not a religious service."
2. The church is "just another religious practice"
3. The "numerical number" of "Sunday meetings at 11am" ..."is 666"
4. Church is ..."get the God-bit over with, then the rest of the week is their own!!"

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Apostle Paul wrote letters to several local churches in various cities.
The local church is an obvious institution in the New Testament.
If a Christian denies, in their heart, the clear instruction to join a local assembly of Believers, they are willfully sinning.

Christians are commanded to fellowship with a local body of Christians (Acts 2:42); including the breaking of bread (the table of unity), corporate prayer, and hearing the preached Word.

Excuses for willful disobedience:
1. The church is "...the people themselves...not a religious service."
2. The church is "just another religious practice"
3. The "numerical number" of "Sunday meetings at 11am" ..."is 666"
4. Church is ..."get the God-bit over with, then the rest of the week is their own!!"

You are free to believe what you like. Go for it.
I find no scripture saying that we must meet with others on a Sunday morning at 11 o'clock every week.
Christianity is a LIFE 24/7 not once a week...
But yes, go to your meetings and believe 'that is it.'

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it so important to you as to whatever day Christians decide to worship the Lord on? Is this a salvation issue to you?

NO! it is not a salvation issue, I believe as God stated that In 6 days He Created and on the seventh He rested, and He made that Day Holy, set apart, sanctified, And if we Keep that day we are declaring, That He Did Create the Heavens and the Earth. God also said that you shall not add to or diminish from His Word,and if you say that Jesus changed the Sabbath then He diminished from His Fathers word.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." Col 2:16-17

As you probably know that Paul was writing to these Souls that had come out of Pagan type beliefs, consider this! Let no worldly, Pagan worshiper, or those that have not converted to the Faith as you have, Judge you in meat, or drink, or respect of a feast,or of the new moon,or of the Sabbath days, Now Paul exhorts!! WHICH are a Shadow of things to come, then who Judges, those that are of the Body of Christ!

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO! it is not a salvation issue, I believe as God stated that In 6 days He Created and on the seventh He rested, and He made that Day Holy, set apart, sanctified, And if we Keep that day we are declaring, That He Did Create the Heavens and the Earth. God also said that you shall not add to or diminish from His Word,and if you say that Jesus changed the Sabbath then He diminished from His Fathers word.

So on one hand, you claim that this is not a salvation issue for you, but on the other hand you basically claim that Christians who decide to have a church service on Sunday is akin to adding to or removing from his word, which gets your name blotted out of the book of life. I'm sure you are aware of what Jesus told the Pharisees when they accused him of breaking the Sabbath, that it was made for man, not the other way around. You really don't sound any different to me than the multitude of legalist's who claim they believe in Jesus as the fulfillment of the sabbath yet will try and bind Christians to the old covenant.............:rolleyes:

(Matthew 11:25-30) "¶ At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. {26} Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. {27} All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. {28} ¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. {29} Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. {30} For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So on one hand, you claim that this is not a salvation issue for you, but on the other hand you basically claim that Christians who decide to have a church service on Sunday is akin to adding to or removing from his word, which gets your name blotted out of the book of life. I'm sure you are aware of what Jesus told the Pharisees when they accused him of breaking the Sabbath, that it was made for man, not the other way around. You really don't sound any different to me than the multitude of legalist's who claim they believe in Jesus as the fulfillment of the sabbath yet will try and bind Christians to the old covenant.............:rolleyes:

On the Sabbath for me it is keeping what God Commanded! what others believe and except is not within my control. As far as what Yeshua [Jesus] said to the Pharisees when He Broke their man made rules and regulations, pertaining to the Sabbath. Maybe if you understood what our Savior was faced with concerning the Sadducee and the Pharisees, then you might understand why they were accusing Him. Example why do your disciples not wash their hands before eating bread, this was just after the feeding of the 5 thousand, try to find any commandment in the whole of Scripture about being commanded to wash your hands before eating anything. They made it up, along with hundreds of other rules and regulations, Commandments of Men! Keeping the Commandments of God is called being Obedient, Keeping the Commandments of men is Legalistic. If you can show me 2 scriptures that say the Lord changed the Sabbath then I will keep Sun-Day, but History tells us who changed it, A MAN!

Last edited:

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the Sabbath for me it is keeping what God Commanded! what others believe and except is not within my control. As far as what Yeshua [Jesus] said to the Pharisees when He Broke their man made rules and regulations, pertaining to the Sabbath. Maybe if you understood what our Savior was faced with concerning the Sadducee and the Pharisees, then you might understand why they were accusing Him. Example why do your disciples not wash their hands before eating bread, this was just after the feeding of the 5 thousand, try to find any commandment in the whole of Scripture about being commanded to wash your hands before eating anything. They made it up, along with hundreds of other rules and regulations, Commandments of Men! Keeping the Commandments of God is called being Obedient, Keeping the Commandments of men is Legalistic. If you can show me 2 scriptures that say the Lord changed the Sabbath then I will keep Sun-Day, but History tells us who changed it, A MAN!

:rolleyes: Man cannot change what God established to begin with, so I don't really care. If you want to "keep the Sabbath", then so be it. I don't really care, my Sabbath is in the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, not on a day of worship.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to pick on you, for I enjoy many of your posts. What do you make of:

Heb 4:9 There remains therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his works, as God did from his.

Read first the following words of David:

"Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest." Psalm 95:8-11

Now read all of the following words of the apostle Paul:

"Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." Heb 4:7-11

In the OT, most of the people of Israel died in the wilderness during the 40 year period due to their repeated rebellions. The apostle is warning us not to make the same mistake. Their rest for that time was the Promised Land. Our rest is Jesus.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you probably know that Paul was writing to these Souls that had come out of Pagan type beliefs, consider this! Let no worldly, Pagan worshiper, or those that have not converted to the Faith as you have, Judge you in meat, or drink, or respect of a feast,or of the new moon,or of the Sabbath days, Now Paul exhorts!! WHICH are a Shadow of things to come, then who Judges, those that are of the Body of Christ!
The OT as people who read the Bible very much and love God may already know is full of types of shadows, but so is the NT. All of the shadows are shadows of the real thing, as the sacrificial lambs in the OT are types and shadows of Jesus. The sabbaths of the OT are also shadows of Jesus in the NT and now. What you believe and do is OK with God even the unnecessary things so long as you remember to keep things in their proper order. First things first. Some people who have had the order right to start have let things slip:

"Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love." Rev 2:4

To review on the first things:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Read first the following words of David:

"Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest." Psalm 95:8-11

Now read all of the following words of the apostle Paul:

"Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." Heb 4:7-11

In the OT, most of the people of Israel died in the wilderness during the 40 year period due to their repeated rebellions. The apostle is warning us not to make the same mistake. Their rest for that time was the Promised Land. Our rest is Jesus.

Thank you for the response. The part that I had made bold was that which I was most interested in hearing about.

With regard to Psalms 95, we see Paul writing of it in Hebrews 3, and I do agree, that is with regard to entering the "Promised Land". However, those who were to enter and did not, and those who entered the "Promised Land", still had a sabbatismos to keep both while in the wilderness and after entering. A time of ceasing from their own labor, "as God did from His". Which was upon the seventh day in Genesis.

Heb 4:4 For he hath said somewhere of the seventh day on this wise, And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.

We are currently "in the wilderness" so to speak, awaiting to enter the "Promised Land".

Please take note, that in v8: For if Joshua / Jesus had given them "rest", it is a verb rather the noun used throughout the rest of Hebrews 3 and 4. And as I am sure you aware, that "rest" in verse 9 is sabbatismos and not katapausis.

I do concur, we are being warned not to make the same mistakes. So let us make every effort to enter that rest, lest any fall after the example of apeitheias.

What is apeitheias? Besides a fem. sing. noun.

Our "Promised Land" is the "New Heavens and the New Earth":

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith YHVH, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith YHVH.

You say our rest is in Jesus. Did God rest in Jesus? Or did God cease from His work of creation as the author of Hebrews speaks of in v4.

We must each do that which we are each convinced of. So I judge you not with regard to this. Nor do I seek to simply win some debate, for if that is my only motive, nobody wins. I am simply sharing from my perspective.

Last edited: