Super natural events

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blues State

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many of you routinely experience super natural events in your life? I went from growing up Pentecostal to now a conservative Bible church. Seems to me that the more open you are to the supernatural moving of the “Holy Spirit” , the more careful you need to be about deceptive “spirits” working instead the true God.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many of you routinely experience super natural events in your life? I went from growing up Pentecostal to now a conservative Bible church. Seems to me that the more open you are to the supernatural moving of the “Holy Spirit” , the more careful you need to be about deceptive “spirits” working instead the true God.
I have had some pretty supernatural experiences and I know the voice of our Lord. I am now attending a church where the pastor is all about the supernatural moving of the Holy Spirit. What kind of deception should I look out for?

Reactions: michaelvpardo

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
You can count on the enemy using any weakness to its advantage. If any spirit is permitted the ones not from God will operate openly to deceive. If no spirit is allowed they operate in secret, still causing all sorts of opression and discord.

Discernment is necessary in either case. So it is best to believe in the gifts of the Spirit.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. Deception is a problem.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While our experience should confirm our faith, our faith should not be built upon our experience, but upon the word of God and the solid rock of our Lord Jesus Christ, blessed forever, Amen.

Amen @michaelvpardo ... TRUST the Word of God....
Amen @Iforrest ... the enemy using any weakness to its advantage...
(ding ding ding DC 24-7 fear mongering, and they the savior) <-evil influence>wicked men.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How many of you routinely experience super natural events in your life?
The primary supernatural event for any Christian is the New Birth. And according to the total teaching of the New Testament, the indwelling Holy Spirit will produce (a) the gifts of the Spirit and (b) the fruit of the Spirit. So the focus of the Christian must be on what Peter has said, and he also said that it was necessary to remind Christians about this over and over again:

2 PETER 1: SEVEN RESULTS OF THE NEW BIRTH
1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that
pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 And beside this, giving all diligence,
[1] add to your faith virtue; and [2] to virtue knowledge;
6 And
[3] to knowledge temperance; and [4] to temperance patience; and [5] to patience godliness;
7 And
[6] to godliness brotherly kindness; and [7] to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make
you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't notice much of any supernatural events. Maybe I am fortunate.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While our experience should confirm our faith, our faith should not be built upon our experience, but upon the word of God and the solid rock of our Lord Jesus Christ, blessed forever, Amen.

Assurance is in essence both biblical and experiential, as are most doctrines. The Unction of the Holy Spirit is not just a mental thing, but an experiential thing, we experience the Holy Ghost teaching us, the knowledge and theological biblical confirmation comes afterwards. This is the difference between a teachable person and an unteachable one. Faith itself is an experience before the confirmation of that faith is given "Blessed are they who believe and have not seen".

Personally in my life it has gone both ways experience leads to understanding and study leads to experiencing God and His Love via the Spirit. Sometimes, God needs to send a talking Donkey to show us our errors, other times a simple word from scripture will do.

Good Post @Blues State and welcome to the Forum.
To answer your question, I grew up in a fundamentalist background and am now opening up to the moving of the Holy Spirit in the supernatural, so I am kind of the opposite of your upbringing. For me, fundamentalism shut the door to Jesus and the divine revelation of the Spirit as it descended into textualism as opposed to vibrant faith.... The scribes began to dictate the experiences we were to have, But God has a way of reaching each of us in different ways. My supernatural experiences have been in the area of divine revelation primarily as the Holy Ghost has been my teacher, and with that there have been many supernatural events, where he has given me the unction to see deception even before i understand the full scope of the deception.... Do you understand this? It is in the realm of Spiritual warfare, and the wielding of the supernatural weapons of our warfare. (2 Corinthians 10:4-5) If I were to rely only on my theological knowledge i would be at a loss in this warfare, but if The Spirit is supernaturally working through me that warfare brings down strongholds.

God bless

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assurance is in essence both biblical and experiential, as are most doctrines. The Unction of the Holy Spirit is not just a mental thing, but an experiential thing, we experience the Holy Ghost teaching us, the knowledge and theological biblical confirmation comes afterwards. This is the difference between a teachable person and an unteachable one. Faith itself is an experience before the confirmation of that faith is given "Blessed are they who believe and have not seen".

Personally in my life it has gone both ways experience leads to understanding and study leads to experiencing God and His Love via the Spirit. Sometimes, God needs to send a talking Donkey to show us our errors, other times a simple word from scripture will do.

Good Post @Blues State and welcome to the Forum.
To answer your question, I grew up in a fundamentalist background and am now opening up to the moving of the Holy Spirit in the supernatural, so I am kind of the opposite of your upbringing. For me, fundamentalism shut the door to Jesus and the divine revelation of the Spirit as it descended into textualism as opposed to vibrant faith.... The scribes began to dictate the experiences we were to have, But God has a way of reaching each of us in different ways. My supernatural experiences have been in the area of divine revelation primarily as the Holy Ghost has been my teacher, and with that there have been many supernatural events, where he has given me the unction to see deception even before i understand the full scope of the deception.... Do you understand this? It is in the realm of Spiritual warfare, and the wielding of the supernatural weapons of our warfare. (2 Corinthians 10:4-5) If I were to rely only on my theological knowledge i would be at a loss in this warfare, but if The Spirit is supernaturally working through me that warfare brings down strongholds.

God bless
You should understand that when we talk of "supernatural " experience, it isn't always good or of God. I've shared my "testimony of salvation" a number of times on this site and I'm not going to do that here, but it was under the influence of the "fallen " that I learned of spiritual reality. I was a practioner of an "internal" martial art of Chinese origin, called Tai Chi Chuan (which translates roughly as "grand ultimate boxing") and has a strong "fallen" spiritual element.
I learned how to manipulate powers which the Chinese see as living forces such as "breath" and "spirit". I was able, by force of will, to do things which the western world would call sorcery or magic, but in such things I was being deceived.

When people disbelieve the fallen element of spiritual existence, reject the existence of the devil and dark forces under his dominion, they are subject to their influence. The goal of Satan is our destruction, not our redemption, and He has power to work lying wonders. This is why we can't simply trust our experience. I wasn't just saved. I was delivered.

Reactions: David H.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should understand that when we talk of "supernatural " experience, it isn't always good or of God. I've shared my "testimony of salvation" a number of times on this site and I'm not going to do that here, but it was under the influence of the "fallen " that I learned of spiritual reality. I was a practioner of an "internal" martial art of Chinese origin, called Tai Chi Chuan (which translates roughly as "grand ultimate boxing") and has a strong "fallen" spiritual element.
I learned how to manipulate powers which the Chinese see as living forces such as "breath" and "spirit". I was able, by force of will, to do things which the western world would call sorcery or magic, but in such things I was being deceived.

When people disbelieve the fallen element of spiritual existence, reject the existence of the devil and dark forces under his dominion, they are subject to their influence. The goal of Satan is our destruction, not our redemption, and He has power to work lying wonders. This is why we can't simply trust our experience. I wasn't just saved. I was delivered.

I wholeheartedly agree, and will state openly that much of the Pentecostal movement has been seduced by these seducing spirits... Kundalini etc.

My Point is that to deny the work of the Holy Spirit is also detrimental to the Christian as well and is like a Christian walking without the Power of the Spirit and relying on their own intellectual might to guide them.

We worship God in Spirit and truth, (John 4:23) Grace and Truth came by Christ Jesus (John 1:17) We are called to Speak the truth in Love (Ephesians 4:15). We need both sides of this in our Spiritual journey. Satan not only wants to deceive us into following seducing spirits but he also wants us to walk in powerlessness and spiritual immaturity.

God bless

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my life miracles rivaling any in the Gospels tend to happen in an unexpected series over a short period of time (e. g. Leonard's late son Jeff retuning from the dead to drive his Dad towards Rochester, NY, to reassure him that he, his wife, and 2 children were together and OK after dying in a small plane crash. While driving, Jeff detailed his investments to help Leonard tie up loose financial ends! The next day, Jeff's wife Karen appeard to him along a hiking trail to reinforce the reality of the awesome miracle the day before.

I understand why some healing evangelists become dishonest in their claims. Success in miracles tends to be sporadic; so once one gains a big reputation, he probably can't sustain his record of miracles. So he feels pressure to convince himself and others that they are still happening, when in fact they are not. Also, I have learned from several experiences that any supernatural manifestation is counterfeited by Satan because of the potential of such manifestations to generate a widespread revival or at least excitement about how awesome a God we serve.