" Surrender.."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay...I read this short quote and thought.." I don't feel that it is THAT easy!!"

Has anyone found , that once we have surrender fully ( and really believe that we have done so ) ...that it is a "once and for all thing". Over with, done and dusted...never ever to fall back into our own will or way again?

I wish that I could say that for me what is written below is true.
I have thought so many times over the decades...but I cannot say that it all "stayed in it places" ..and the old-man is dead and over with.
Or have I got it wrong ?...that the will and my own life, which I surrendered in what I believed to be genuine brokenness...is not one and the same with the 'old-self man'? Please comment on the below.
I wish I could affirm that it is where I am too.
=========================

After Surrender— Then What?
By Oswald Chambers

I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. —John 17:4

True surrender is not simply surrender of our external life but surrender of our will— and once that is done, surrender is complete. The greatest crisis we ever face is the surrender of our will. Yet God never forces a person’s will into surrender, and He never begs. He patiently waits until that person willingly yields to Him. And once that battle has been fought, it never needs to be fought again.

Surrender for Devotion. “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself…” (Matthew 16:24). The surrender here is of my self to Jesus, with His rest at the heart of my being. He says, “If you want to be My disciple, you must give up your right to yourself to Me.” And once this is done, the remainder of your life will exhibit nothing but the evidence of this surrender, and you never need to be concerned again with what the future may hold for you. Whatever your circumstances may be, Jesus is totally sufficient (see 2 Corinthians 12:9 and Philippians 4:19).

O.C.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Has anyone found , that once we have surrender fully ( and really believe that we have done so ) ...that it is a "once and for all thing". Over with, done and dusted...never ever to fall back into our own will or way again?
It should be. It sounds negative, but the positive aspect should be the focus.

...but be ye transformed* by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Rom 12:2)

*Strong's Concordance
metamorphoó: to transform
Original Word: μεταμορφόω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: metamorphoó
Phonetic Spelling: (met-am-or-fo'-o)
Short Definition: I change the form, transform
Definition: I transform, transfigure.

...transformed into the same image (of consummate excellence that shines in Christ) (Thayer's)

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay...I read this short quote and thought.." I don't feel that it is THAT easy!!"

I wish that I could say that for me what is written below is true.
I have thought so many times over the decades...but I cannot say that it all "stayed in it places" ..and the old-man is dead and over with.
Or have I got it wrong ?...that the will and my own life, which I surrendered in what I believed to be genuine brokenness...is not one and the same with the 'old-self man'? Please comment on the below.
I wish I could affirm that it is where I am too.
=========================

After Surrender— Then What?
By Oswald Chambers

I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. —John 17:4

True surrender is not simply surrender of our external life but surrender of our will— and once that is done, surrender is complete. The greatest crisis we ever face is the surrender of our will. Yet God never forces a person’s will into surrender, and He never begs. He patiently waits until that person willingly yields to Him. And once that battle has been fought, it never needs to be fought again.

Surrender for Devotion. “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself…” (Matthew 16:24). The surrender here is of my self to Jesus, with His rest at the heart of my being. He says, “If you want to be My disciple, you must give up your right to yourself to Me.” And once this is done, the remainder of your life will exhibit nothing but the evidence of this surrender, and you never need to be concerned again with what the future may hold for you. Whatever your circumstances may be, Jesus is totally sufficient (see 2 Corinthians 12:9 and Philippians 4:19).

O.C.

Those who have known surrender...full surrender to God...will realize that there is a keeping power of God...but that it is very difficult to remain fully consecrated in every situation. Consequently we will come in and out of the Spirit during our lives. And this is not a bad thing...IF we understand that God wants to shape our characters and this is easier when we are subject to the full attractions of this world. A full maturity in Christ can stand against the world. But our desire should always be to be "present" with God.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who have known surrender...full surrender to God...will realize that there is a keeping power of God...but that it is very difficult to remain fully consecrated in every situation. Consequently we will come in and out of the Spirit during our lives. And this is not a bad thing...IF we understand that God wants to shape our characters and this is easier when we are subject to the full attractions of this world. A full maturity in Christ can stand against the world. But our desire should always be to be "present" with God.

In fact, the process of moving from our secure base (God) out into His Creation and then returning to Him is how we are made - it is described in a model called The Circle of Security. We do it with our parents and with God.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Yes, I can go with that.
Jesus said " Abide in Me.." And for sure that is our goal at all times.
But if full surrender is a done deal...then why did Paul tell us to "Reckon ourselves dead indeed to sin.." and all the other suchlike scriptures. Plus Jesus says one of the rewards of the Overcomer's is to be a pillar in the Temple.." And he shall go no more out..etc.."

My 'old man' is dead...until.. :rolleyes: And then I have to do a lot of 'reckoning' it dead according to the word of God...
As Enoch said...the renewing of the mind.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I can go with that.
Jesus said " Abide in Me.." And for sure that is our goal at all times.
But if full surrender is a done deal...then why did Paul tell us to "Reckon ourselves dead indeed to sin.." and all the other suchlike scriptures. Plus Jesus says one of the rewards of the Overcomer's is to be a pillar in the Temple.." And he shall go no more out..etc.."

My 'old man' is dead...until.. :rolleyes: And then I have to do a lot of 'reckoning' it dead according to the word of God...
As Enoch said...the renewing of the mind.

Actually a full surrender can be a fleeting thing. As soon as our lives improve we tend to get distracted in the world again. After all, a living sacrifice tends to wiggle off the altar.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm pretty much like a vinyl record...I always need my needle placed gently
back in the groove of His Will. Forgiveness and kindness is the groove for me.
I love tricking the ego...and instead of holding onto a thing someone said that was
so insensitive and maybe hurtful...I pretend it never happened and act 100% normal
and nice to the person.
It's a great feeling to flick the devil off my shoulder and feel light...lighthearted....
free of the burdens of anger and hanging onto the past.

Relationships with others is where the rubber hits the pavement...the co-worker, neighbor, cashier, spouse, of course...and those darn family members! Dropping things daily with our renewed mind and our desire to do what the Holy Spirit would want us to..

Keeping the desire to be connected to God's will has to be a priority first thing upon waking...
after awhile we are more often on auto-pilot as the grooves in our brains (synaptic pathways, right?) are more habitual to us.

This topic might bring those here that would be interested in Dr. Caroline Leaf's research of the brain...
she comes from a Christian perspective, btw. :) I have her books.
Practicing 'desirable' thoughts does change the brain! Then, it keeps getting easier....
it's a fact! I'm certainly proof! Ha!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
and once that is done, surrender is complete.
Actually a full surrender can be a fleeting thing. As soon as our lives improve we tend to get distracted in the world again. After all, a living sacrifice tends to wiggle off the altar.
ya, it's crap, another way to justify self

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
...until we learn to be mature in the love that God presents to us.
ya, i guess a few might actually attain that, but certainly not by adhering to
"And once that battle has been fought, it never needs to be fought again."
i mean this guy has lost his mind, or at least most of his Bible lol

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
True Believer: a person who has accepted that their beliefs are Absolute truths, the most lost person you can define.

For every picture there is a negative. For every truth there is a lie that looks the same to the carnal mind. The truth is very difficult to follow. The lie looks like greasy grace.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ya, i guess a few might actually attain that, but certainly not by adhering to
"And once that battle has been fought, it never needs to be fought again."
i mean this guy has lost his mind, or at least most of his Bible lol

I do think he gives false hope ...If most of them that he preached to believe that he had attained to that and could “live there”....then that would make everyone else second class Christians....including Paul....Paul said just the opposite...”I have not yet attained...”
Surly attaining to full surrender and “living there” a person could declare themselves 100% dead to self. (But the very declaration itself would make that null and void..I would think)

Surely ‘Fully surrendered’ would = Perfect, wouldn’t it? Not sure about that.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do think he gives false hope ...If most of them that he preached to believe that he had attained to that and could “live there”....then that would make everyone else second class Christians....including Paul....Paul said just the opposite...”I have not yet attained...”
Surly attaining to full surrender and “living there” a person could declare themselves 100% dead to self. (But the very declaration itself would make that null and void..I would think)

Surely ‘Fully surrendered’ would = Perfect, wouldn’t it? Not sure about that.

The race is not just about...getting there...it's about remaining there. Jesus said...Abide in Me. That's how we bear the kind of fruit that brings glory and reward. But the gate is narrow...AND so is the road.

So then our perfection is about location location location. It is IN Him. We need to pray up a beacon for God to come get us and translate us into His presence.

God's grace brings a perfect purity...no sin. But it takes a maturity in love and Jesus type character to REMAIN there.

It takes our faith...moving into His faith...so that His faithfulness then becomes our own. We are moving in both faith AND faithfulness. Purity AND maturity.

Paul was taking about maturity which is the full stature of Christ. But Paul knew the perfection of Christ. Otherwise his letters would be speculations and best guesses....not unlike a lot of posters here. ;)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This topic might bring those here that would be interested in Dr. Caroline Leaf's research of the brain...
she comes from a Christian perspective, btw. :) I have her books.
Practicing 'desirable' thoughts does change the brain! Then, it keeps getting easier....
it's a fact! I'm certainly proof! Ha!

Amen....agree...I enjoy her writings...a real eye opener.
Thank you for the reminder. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I tie mine down...:D

Reactions: Helen