Sustainer Of Blessings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Monday 1-31-23 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shavat 8 5783 41st. Winter Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Deuteronomy 8:10–18 | Bible in a Year: Exodus 25–26; Matthew 20:17–34

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Remember the Lord your God. Deuteronomy 8:18

On January 15, 1919, a huge molasses tank burst in Boston. A fifteen-foot wave of more than two million gallons of molasses careened through the street at over 30 mph, sweeping away railcars, buildings, people, and animals. Molasses might seem harmless enough, but that day it was deadly: 21 people lost their lives with more than 150 injured.

Sometimes even good things—like molasses—can overwhelm us unexpectedly. Before the Israelites entered the land God promised them, Moses warned the people to be careful not to take credit for the good things they’d receive: “When you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase . . . , then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God.”

They weren’t to attribute this wealth to their own strength or capabilities. Instead, Moses said, “Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth” (Deuteronomy 8:12–14, 17–18).
All good things—including physical health and the skills needed to earn a living—are blessings from the hand of our loving God. Even when we’ve worked hard, it’s He who sustains us.

Oh, to hold our blessings with open hands, that we may gratefully praise God for His kindness to us!
What kindnesses from God are you thankful for today? Who can you help with a blessing you’ve received?
Thank You, Father, for sustaining me every moment. Please help me to recognize Your kindness, so I may share it with others.
For further study, read Compassion: Learning to Love Like Jesus.

INSIGHT

As Deuteronomy opens, the Israelites are preparing to enter the promised land. In this final book attributed to Moses, he recounts the law and reminds the people to remember all God has done for them. In today’s passage, the Israelites are called to remember and obey God when they settle in their new land, for He was and will be the source of their blessings (Deuteronomy 8:17–18). God miraculously delivered them from slavery and the Egyptians, led them through the desert, provided manna, and even kept their clothes from wearing out (5:15; 7:18; 8:2–4; 15:15; 16:3, 12; 24:18, 22).

By James Banks|January 31st, 2023

God's Love And Care Deuteronomy Eight:10-18

10 When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the Lord thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.

11 Beware that thou forget not the Lord thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:

12 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein;

13 And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied;

14 Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the Lord thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;

15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint;

16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end;

17 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.

18 But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

• Love
Reactions: Jillo