"Taking the Lord's Name in Vain".....How?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@stunnedbygrace and @Rita in response to your request.....
How did this law apply to the Jews? Here is what I have found in my research.....

Apparently the Jews were making frivolous oaths in God's name, and failing to live up to them, thus taking God's name in vain. This meant using God's name in a worthless way and thus treating it with disrespect. Oaths were common in those days and if God's divine name was invoked, woe betide anyone not keeping their word. An oath was like a vow. (Deuteronomy 30:2; 23:21; Ecclesiastes 5:4)

The Jewish leadership were aware of the problem and developed a novel way to solve it....instead of prosecuting the offenders, which God's law required, they instead removed the divine name from their speech, making it unlawful to utter it. Problem solved.....but not in a way that God would approve. By losing the divine name from their speech, supposedly out of respect... (this was never commanded by God, in fact Yahweh had told them in Exodus 3:15....."And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Yahweh God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation." Jewish Tanakh) This was just another disobedient act against their God with far reaching implications.

Jesus had a comment on this....Matthew 5:33-37...
"Again you heard that it was said to those of ancient times: ‘You must not swear without performing, but you must pay your vows to Jehovah.’ 34 However, I say to you: Do not swear at all, neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by earth, for it is the footstool of his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Do not swear by your head, since you cannot turn one hair white or black. 37 Just let your word ‘Yes’ mean yes, your ‘No,’ no, for what goes beyond these is from the wicked one."

So swearing a vow, even if God's name was not used, was still a serious matter. A man had to back up his words by actions. Not doing so was allowing room for the devil.

In removing God's divine name from their speech, the Jews eventually lost how to pronounce it, so Yahweh (YHWH) became a nameless "LORD" usually indicated by the capitalization of the letters where his name had been substituted in English translations. "ADONAI" replaced it in Jewish speech.

(Interestingly the name "Baal" means "Lord" as does "Allah".....so having nameless gods apparently gives them all the same title....Yahweh however was never nameless until the Jews made him such.....this led to a confusion between the "Lord Yahweh" and the "Lord Jesus" leading some to believe, in later centuries, that the two were one and the same...but they never were.
The trinity is a product of that travesty.

When Christ walked the earth, the divine name had been lost for a very long time, (no one knows exactly when they ceased to use it) but Jesus said he came to restore it and make it known to his disciples. (John 17:25-26) The Jews still refused to utter God's name under any circumstances, (and still do) but kept it in written form....so when the Christians wrote their letters and accounts, those later translations into Greek reverted to the Jewish tradition of keeping God nameless. But ancient fragments found God's name with the four Hebrew consonants clearly seen in the Greek text. The devil does not want the name of God to be known or used.....but at Acts 15:14, Peter "has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name."

God's name was to be important to God's Christian worshippers.....for obvious reasons.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my gosh. You are a wonderful set of encyclopedias…thank you again.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, will have a deeper read and study later , got a busy morning.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh my gosh. You are a wonderful set of encyclopedias…thank you again.
LOL...its just the way my mind works.....I think of a question and I must know the answer, so I start digging. Worn out a few shovels.
whistling

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently the Jews were making frivolous oaths in God's name, and failing to live up to them, thus taking God's name in vain. This meant using God's name in a worthless way and thus treating it with disrespect. Oaths were common in those days and if God's divine name was invoked, woe betide anyone not keeping their word. An oath was like a vow. (Deuteronomy 30:2; 23:21; Ecclesiastes 5:4)
So swearing a vow, even if God's name was not used, was still a serious matter. A man had to back up his words by actions. Not doing so was allowing room for the devil.
"And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering." Judges 11:30-31

"And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.
And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back." Judges 11:33-35

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did this law apply to the Jews? Here is what I have found in my research.....

The Jewish leadership were aware of the problem and developed a novel way to solve it....instead of prosecuting the offenders, which God's law required, they instead removed the divine name from their speech, making it unlawful to utter it. Problem solved.....but not in a way that God would approve. By losing the divine name from their speech, supposedly out of respect... (this was never commanded by God, in fact Yahweh had told them in Exodus 3:15....."And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Yahweh God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation." Jewish Tanakh) This was just another disobedient act against their God with far reaching implications.

"Again you heard that it was said to those of ancient times: ‘You must not swear without performing, but you must pay your vows to Jehovah.’ 34 However, I say to you: Do not swear at all, neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by earth, for it is the footstool of his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Do not swear by your head, since you cannot turn one hair white or black. 37 Just let your word ‘Yes’ mean yes, your ‘No,’ no, for what goes beyond these is from the wicked one."

In removing God's divine name from their speech, the Jews eventually lost how to pronounce it, so Yahweh (YHWH) became a nameless "LORD" usually indicated by the capitalization of the letters where his name had been substituted in English translations. "ADONAI" replaced it in Jewish speech.

(Interestingly the name "Baal" means "Lord" as does "Allah".....so having nameless gods apparently gives them all the same title....Yahweh however was never nameless until the Jews made him such.....this led to a confusion between the "Lord Yahweh" and the "Lord Jesus" leading some to believe, in later centuries, that the two were one and the same...but they never were.

When Christ walked the earth, the divine name had been lost for a very long time, (no one knows exactly when they ceased to use it) but Jesus said he came to restore it and make it known to his disciples. (John 17:25-26) The Jews still refused to utter God's name under any circumstances, (and still do) but kept it in written form....so when the Christians wrote their letters and accounts, those later translations into Greek reverted to the Jewish tradition of keeping God nameless. But ancient fragments found God's name with the four Hebrew consonants clearly seen in the Greek text. The devil does not want the name of God to be known or used.....but at Acts 15:14, Peter "has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name."

God's name was to be important to God's Christian worshippers.....for obvious reasons.

Sounds like you got it correct to me.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering." Judges 11:30-31

"And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.
And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back." Judges 11:33-35
Yes, great example. Thank you for including it. And even though the vow did not go the way Jephthah expected, he could not take it back. I guess he expected one of his servants to come out to greet him on his return and he was devastated to see his only child be the one.

But the seriousness of his vow was mirrored by the attitude of his daughter who was taught to love and respect a vow to their God as well. She understood what a vow to Jehovah meant and that service at the Tabernacle meant no marriage or children as all who served there had to do so without distraction. She asked her father for two months with her girl companions to come to terms with her future role and took it all in her stride. It meant no marriage or children for her, but also no grandchildren for Jephthah and his wife. So another lesson was....do not make your vows rashly, but think about them first. Jephthah’s vow and the way he followed through is a wonderful example of keeping your promises to God.

Our baptism is a dedication vow and we are under obligation to live up to it. Our relationship with God is demonstrated by our determination to keep it....always mindful of the fact that God is watching.

So here we see the seriousness of not “taking God’s name in vain”....not making vows to God and then failing to live up to them. (Ecclesiastes 5:4)

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, great example. Thank you for including it. And even though the vow did not go the way Jephthah expected, he could not take it back. I guess he expected one of his servants to come out to greet him on his return and he was devastated to see his only child be the one.

But the seriousness of his vow was mirrored by the attitude of his daughter who was taught to love and respect a vow to their God as well. She understood what a vow to Jehovah meant and that service at the Tabernacle meant no marriage or children as all who served there had to do so without distraction. She asked her father for two months with her girl companions to come to terms with her future role and took it all in her stride. It meant no marriage or children for her, but also no grandchildren for Jephthah and his wife. So another lesson was....do not make your vows rashly, but think about them first. Jephthah’s vow and the way he followed through is a wonderful example of keeping your promises to God.

Our baptism is a dedication vow and we are under obligation to live up to it. Our relationship with God is demonstrated by our determination to keep it....always mindful of the fact that God is watching.

So here we see the seriousness of not “taking God’s name in vain”....not making vows to God and then failing to live up to them. (Ecclesiastes 5:4)
Amen!

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've always thought of taking God's name in vain as prefacing a sentence with is name, such as, "God, I'm tired," or "God, I'm hungry," when you aren't talking to God.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've always thought of taking God's name in vain as prefacing a sentence with is name, such as, "God, I'm tired," or "God, I'm hungry," when you aren't talking to God.
"GOD" is not his name....but one of his titles, like "Lord".

Taking God's "name" in vain is to use "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" (English translation) in a disrespectful or frivolous way, such as what the ancient Jews were doing.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"GOD" is not his name....but one of his titles, like "Lord".

Taking God's "name" in vain is to use "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" (English translation) in a disrespectful or frivolous way, such as what the ancient Jews were doing.
I think it is prideful, and therefore a sin, to preface a sentence with "God," unless you are addressing him.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think it is prideful, and therefore a sin, to preface a sentence with "God," unless you are addressing him.
Well unless you are using the word with respect...I agree. But that is not what it means to "take God's name in vain".

Reactions: JohnPaul

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Taking the Lord's Name in Vain".....How?
The Lord's name is his character. When God declares his name he is telling us what he is like; an example would be when God passed before Moses in the mount.
Jesus is a revelation of God's character.
Taking the Lord's name in vain equates to a
misrepresentation of God. It is using God to rubber stamp the doctrines of men.

Last edited: