Taking The Name In Vain

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought this was pretty good teaching. The person's name is Nate.

People think taking the name of the lord in vain is just using God's name as a curse word or to express disgust. It's more than that. When someone says they are a Christian, but their fruits don't really show that, they're fake Christians and that is taking the name of Christ in vain.

If you have the time or are able to, watch the video.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought this was pretty good teaching. The person's name is Nate.

People think taking the name of the lord in vain is just using God's name as a curse word or to express disgust. It's more than that. When someone says they are a Christian, but their fruits don't really show that, they're fake Christians and that is taking the name of Christ in vain.

If you have the time or are able to, watch the video.

In a way sir I have some good news on this, for most people it is impossible for people to do it, as they do not know God's name. For instance, you associate taking the Lord's name in vain with Jesus, however in every instance in the Bible the mention is directed toward God, not His son. So for one to take God's name in vain, he would first have to know it. Then there is the interpretation factor that comes in, for instance you say using a curse word, say like saying Jesus Christ when angry, or disappointed, etc. It would have to be more serious than that, meaning deliberate action against the person the name represents.

Taking God's name in vain was first mentioned in the 10 Commandments which God personally had recorded on stone tablets, in your opinion, would it be a vain act to remove His name from the Bible? Would it be taking His name in vain to refuse to pronounce it, or make it known to others? That is why we are so fortunate to have the Bible as a whole, God's people are now Christians, and we follow our mentor Jesus and are under the command to teach all the things he commanded Mat 28:20, therefore since Jesus made God's name known, we do as well Jn 17:26. Have you ever heard God's name Jehovah before? I bet you have! It is found in most versions at Psalms 83:18

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On I-95, there are billboards for some pancake house in North Carolina that advertises itself as the place "Where Jesus is Lord!". Well, He is Lord, but using Jesus's name to sell waffles?

How about using God's name to sell political candidates? (Not naming names here.)

To justify wars?

There are ways we take God's name in vain other than saying "G__D___ it!".

Reactions: Pearl

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light in every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken "Hallelujah!"

(Leonard Cohen, Hallelujah)

Reactions: Pearl