Teaching Children

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My friend named can.of.soup says the following
the belief of hell is so popular that most people believe that without doing research first, I know I did before meeting you, which would be spreading misinformation to people, to KIDS!!
Not to mention all the kids making fun of it :/ I had a kid that wasn’t even in my class come in during the morning and start joking about it. He kept saying he was god and how if you dare question him you’re going to hell!! And.. it wasn’t funny? But if I had said another of course I’d be hit with the “oh so you’re going to hell then!!” Or “it’s just a joke omg” which, even with proper education, I feel they would not be open to change or learning.

Also I absolutely hate when people say “it’s just a joke” to justify homophobia, transphobia, racism and pooping on religions. Because most of the time it’s not a joke? A joke is supposed to be funny that’s like, their whole thing. But you’re not being funny by saying hurtful things. This was more so just a rant about my opinions on the it’s just a joke thing lol

So myself named Harold Samson replies with the following

In terms of teaching about Christianity, it’s important to teach children about the Lord, as God tells us to.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Psalm 25:5 Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.

However, Christianity must never be forced on to anyone. Because Christ is love and love does not force itself on to others.
1 Cor 13:4-5 4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way.

Thus, in terms of teaching religion in schools, I believe that every child should at least minimum have access to the Bible to read, which they can use to learn about Christianity at their own pace, not forced. I evangelize children, I tell them about the UR Gospel, to believe in Christ to be saved permanently with kindness. It’s important to tell others the Good News that Christ saves all. Truly, how can children hear the truth without someone to tell it to them?

Romans 10:14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?

Romans 3:4 Let God be true and every man a liar

Truthfully, all people have sin, like myself. Even if your philosophy teacher was more religious, or even more Christian, they could still teach things that are wrong, like the false view of endless torture in Hell. Truly, even I falsely believed in that view before finding this truth. Therefore, all children must be taught to believe in the Bible, the truth, which is the Word of the Lord.

Isaiah 54:13 "All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children"

So when I speak, I quote Bible verses and use those to illustrate my point. Specifically, it’s important to reference the original Hebrew and Greek since man-made translations can have many many mistakes in them.

That way, if children desire to read it at their own pace, there’s an option available to them. Every child must be taught for themselves the ability to discern from the truth and from falsehoods.

As well, there must be no censorship for Christianity. Meaning, there should be room for an open-discussion, whether someone is religious or not, and both must be treated kindly. Without teaching children about Christianity, they could be led into sin, which the Lord is against. If someone teaches a child something false about Christianity, they could be led into sin, which the Lord is against.

Mark 9:42 Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.

Thus yes, I agree with what you say in term of “The belief of hell is so popular that most people believe that without doing research first”. For misinformation, it’s much better to say nothing at all rather than say something that’s false. Like you say, we must protect spreading misinformation to people, especially to kids, since they are highly impressionable and must be treated with care.

Proverbs 17:28 Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.

When I speak these words, it’s important that I humble myself and that I do not make assumptions. That’s why I include so many of these Bible verses. I like to think of it as an academic paper. MLA, APA, Chicago Style, etc. It’s important to have references, sources that you’re citing from. Since the Bible is always true, as Christians, we must reference it when talking. Even when I talk with my sister, I search up Bible verses from the TV screen hooked up to my laptop via an HDMI cable. The Bible should always be the central point of discussion when it comes to Christianity.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

When people make fun of Christianity, whether those are kids in your Philosophy Class or outside of it, I believe that’s an opportunity to rejoice in sharing in Christ’s sufferings.

1 Peter 4:13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed.

Christ was also mocked and made fun of on Earth.
John 13:16 Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

I am made fun of and mocked, because I am a mere simple human messenger. Since the Lord Jesus was made fun of, and He is God, so too will I be made fun of.

For those kids, I worry for them. I hope they do not say things that mock God.

Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.

Psalm 74
How long will the enemy mock you, God?
Will the foe revile your name forever?
Why do you hold back your hand, your right hand?
Take it from the folds of your garment and destroy them!
But God is my King from long ago;
he brings salvation on the earth.

The foes will not revile God’s name forever. They may mock God by impersonating Him and slander Him, falsely accusing Him of being a cruel being who endlessly tortures people in Hell, which is wrong. God will bring everyone to Heaven. All made clean through Christ. For me, I’m a very sensitive person, so to hear someone talk about Hell… it scares me. Especially when someone says “oh so you’re going to hell then!” like you mention. That fear I feel, tells me that forever conscious torment is false, and that all will be saved by Christ, because perfect love casts out fear.

Ephesians 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

My friend, I tell you, from the Bible, since you believed in Jesus Christ, you will guaranteed never go to Hell. The Holy Spirit inside of you makes it an absolute certainty that you have been washed of all your sins and will go to Heaven.

John 15:18 If the world hates you, know that it has hated Me before it hated you.

Ohhhhhh and your mention of “it’s just a joke”, the Bible actually talks about that behavior!

Proverbs 26:18-19 Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I am only joking!”

It’s similar to how kids can threaten others with hell and say “it’s just a joke” like your example. Firebrands and arrows can be a reference to the Devil’s fiery darts of doubts. Because words hurt. And the Lord is against hate towards homosexual people, transgender people, religious people and well… the Lord is against hate towards people in general!

Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.

Even for Muslims, or Jewish people, they have the choice what to believe. Eventually, they will be convinced that Christianity is the truth. So eventually, they will be persuaded of their own free will to become believers in Christ. Just like how I used to be an atheist and was convinced. And I tell them the good news with gentleness and kindness, out of respect for their character. I love them even though they are a different religion, which is why I tell them the truth, out of love for the truth.

1 John 4:16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.