Tell me what is loveable about such a God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that God would burn someone in hell forever for simply not believing in him? I'm amazed at how many Christians and Muslims actually believe that.

It is such a ridiculous and depressing belief, I can't fathom why anyone would love a God who would do that. Fearing such a God would make sense, but loving such a God seems sick to me.

Would you mind telling me what is so horrible about not believing in an invisible entity, that it merits eternal agony?

Eternal suffering for not believing in someone who is invisible and hides himself? Are you kidding? Such a belief is so strangely prevalent. Why?

Please explain what is loveable about such a God.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love God, but the God I know isn't the epitome of cruel and unjust. God is love. The God I know said to those who crucified him, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do".

Reactions: Miss Hepburn
B

Butterfly

I am not sure where I stand on 'hell' - but it was something I use to totally believed in and it was in fact a starting point for me coming to faith 40 years ago, I had such a fear of Satan ( mildly dabbled with the occult as a teenager ) I did not want to go to hell, hell meant living eternally without love ect.
However I believe in a just God, I would have no problem with Satan/ demons ect go to hell ( and that is what I think will happen )
God , in the OT often came across as being unjust and cruel, he ordered the death of nations and it is something that I have never been able to talk around the subject with my son, who is an atheist. The simple fact is that I can only view things from a human prospective- God is God, he isn't love all the time, as the Old Testament reveals. Whether we like it judgment does exist, does happen- but in context of how things will happen , well I would rather trust God because we can speculate till the cows come home. The truth is that none of us really know the fate of every single human being and there has to be good reason why we are called to proclaim the good news of the cross/ Jesus.
Maybe it's linked to end times, better to be ' in Christ ' - I don't know !
Butterfly

Reactions: Helen

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure where I stand on 'hell' - but it was something I use to totally believed in and it was in fact a starting point for me coming to faith 40 years ago, I had such a fear of Satan ( mildly dabbled with the occult as a teenager ) I did not want to go to hell, hell meant living eternally without love ect.
However I believe in a just God, I would have no problem with Satan/ demons ect go to hell ( and that is what I think will happen )
God , in the OT often came across as being unjust and cruel, he ordered the death of nations and it is something that I have never been able to talk around the subject with my son, who is an atheist. The simple fact is that I can only view things from a human prospective- God is God, he isn't love all the time, as the Old Testament reveals. Whether we like it judgment does exist, does happen- but in context of how things will happen , well I would rather trust God because we can speculate till the cows come home. The truth is that none of us really know the fate of every single human being and there has to be good reason why we are called to proclaim the good news of the cross/ Jesus.
Maybe it's linked to end times, better to be ' in Christ ' - I don't know !
Butterfly
And if God decided your son should be tortured forever for not believing in him, you could love such a God?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe that God would burn someone in hell forever for simply not believing in him? I'm amazed at how many Christians and Muslims actually believe that.

It is such a ridiculous and depressing belief, I can't fathom why anyone would love a God who would do that. Fearing such a God would make sense, but loving such a God seems sick to me.

Would you mind telling me what is so horrible about not believing in an invisible entity, that it merits eternal agony?

Eternal suffering for not believing in someone who is invisible and hides himself? Are you kidding? Such a belief is so strangely prevalent. Why?

Please explain what is loveable about such a God.
You misunderstand.

In all the world there are only wheat and tares: God's children, and Satan's children, who would kill God's children.

If we were talking about your children...would you love a God who would not stop Satan from killing your children, or would you love a God who would stop him?

But that is not even the issue. God takes no lives. "All have sinned against God." Meaning, ALL took their own lives...and yet God saves those who love Him.

Do not ridicule the God who wishes to save you and your family.

Also, God is only invisible to the dead, and only hides Himself to spare you from certain and final death. Curse Him or thank Him, either way, the day is coming when all will see Him.

Reactions: Truth

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if God decided your son should be tortured forever for not believing in him, you could love such a God?
A more appropriate question would be: If you born a son of Satan who plotted to murder you in your sleep, what would you have God do?

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
The Lake of Fire is not eternal punishment or suffering, its the second death of the body soul and spirit. Its only eternal in the sense that its forever, there's no coming back from it, its forever because its permanent. The agony and suffering is in knowing your fate, not eternal torture.

People believe God would send nonbelievers to hell because the bible says he will. I don't see how you can be a Christian and reject what the bible clearly teaches? Would God be righteous if He rewarded thieves, murderers, rapist, and everyone who rejected Christ with eternal life? God is love, which is why He won't do that. It would be like locking your child in a room with a mean pit bull.... Nothing loving about that.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lake of Fire is not eternal punishment or suffering, its the second death of the body soul and spirit. Its only eternal in the sense that its forever, there's no coming back from it, its forever because its permanent. The agony and suffering is in knowing your fate, not eternal torture.

People believe God would send nonbelievers to hell because the bible says he will. I don't see how you can be a Christian and reject what the bible clearly teaches? Would God be righteous if He rewarded thieves, murderers, rapist, and everyone who rejected Christ with eternal life? God is love, which is why He won't do that. It would be like locking your child in a room with a mean pit bull.... Nothing loving about that.
The Bible also says Christ will reconcile all things to himself.

Yes I believe the wicked will be judged and punished...that doesn't mean they are in agony forever

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Revelation 20:10) "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

I know I'm not supposed to take pleasure in the death and suffering of the wicked, but by golly, I can't help but think that I'll have a big fat smile on my face watching these chumps get tossed in the fire. :D

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not torture them for eternity
...and what if Satan and your son whom you gave to him, killed your other children for a thousand years, or six?

(Your answer will be a sin...but I forgive you in advance.)

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know I'm not supposed to take pleasure in the death and suffering of the wicked, but by golly, I can't help but think that I'll have a big fat smile on my face watching these chumps get tossed in the fire. :D
You think a person deserves that for not believing in an invisible God?

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think a person deserves that for not believing in an invisible God?

Nope, look at the text that reveals what the unsaved are actually judged by, you know, the revelation of the last days. It say's they are judged by their works, not according to what they believed. However, the revelation of the end times also says that 'unbelievers' will get thrown in the fire among others, John made a list and spelled it out for us to know who gets tossed in. Compare that verse to what Jesus Christ told his disciples below, and you will see which 'unbelievers' the book of Revelation is referring to.

(Matthew 10:12-15) "And when ye come into an house, salute it. {13} And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. {14} And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. {15} Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."

THESE are the unbelievers John referred to in revelation. Should God give a free pass to those who heard the gospel yet rejected it? Absolutely NOT, they will be without excuse, unlike the unbelieving gentile world at large. Who does and doesn't go to the lake of fire will be entirely up to God.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope, look at the text that reveals what the unsaved are actually judged by, you know, the revelation of the last days. It say's they are judged by their works, not according to what they believed. However, the revelation of the end times also says that 'unbelievers' will get thrown in the fire among others, John made a list and spelled it out for us to know who gets tossed in. Compare that verse to what Jesus Christ told his disciples below, and you will see which 'unbelievers' the book of Revelation is referring to.

THESE are the unbelievers John referred to in revelation. Should God give a free pass to those who heard the gospel yet rejected it? Absolutely NOT, they will be without excuse, unlike the unbelieving gentile world at large. Who does and doesn't go to the lake of fire will be entirely up to God.
Just because a person hears the gospel and rejects it doesn't mean they know they are rejecting the truth

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because a person hears the gospel and rejects it doesn't mean they know they are rejecting the truth

You can take that up with Jesus Christ, I think he'd strongly disagree with you, John included.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
?? Can't comprehend the question
Satan is the one doing the killing, not God. Which he has done for thousands of years. Do you want him stopped or not?

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So every Muslim knows they follow falsehood and reject the truth...got it!

Not sure, did you bother asking them? Are you claiming to know the contents of their heart? If you spread the word, and their heart, mind and soul is completely closed off to what you are telling them, then God will not be at all pleased with them when they see their day in court. They will get exactly what they deserve whether you like it or not.