The ‘Real You’ is a Myth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"...Memories are therefore very malleable, they can be distorted and changed easily, as many studies in our lab have shown. For example, we have found that suggestions and imagination can create memories that are very detailed and emotional while still completely false. Jean Piaget, a famous developmental psychologist, remembered all his life in vivid detail an event in which he was abducted with his nanny – she often told him about it. After many years, she confessed to having made the story up. At that point, Piaget stopped believing in the memory, but it nevertheless remained as vivid as it was before.

Memory manipulation

We have assessed the frequency and nature of these false and no-longer-believed memories in a series of studies. Examining a very large sample across several countries, we discovered that they are actually rather common. What’s more, as for Piaget, they all feel very much like real memories..."
The ‘Real You’ is a Myth

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We have assessed the frequency and nature of these false and no-longer-believed memories in a series of studies.
A person does not simply consist of memories. There is a "real you" consisting of body, soul, and spirit. And the soul and spirit are imperishable, either in Heaven or in Hell.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person does not simply consist of memories. There is a "real you" consisting of body, soul, and spirit. And the soul and spirit are imperishable, either in Heaven or in Hell.
I hope the real you is not your body, Enoch!
Since it is 99.99999% empty space! :)

And bbyrd....I can't help but say...there is no me...;)
Maybe this is the wrong group to say that to...LOL!

Reactions: Truth and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There is a "real you" consisting of body, soul, and spirit.
well, we know that we construct an "us" that we can live with--an ego iow--and that we are called to change our minds, so i think this is an exercise in that more than negating your points there. The title is implying that the "you" that you would describe is unknown to anyone else but you, i don't think it is meant to be taken so literally wadr

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And bbyrd....I can't help but say...there is no me...;)
Maybe this is the wrong group to say that to...LOL!

Are we a Borg collective in God today?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The body is definitely not empty space. And I hope you are not a Gnostic and despise the body! While the body is there as a mortal body, it will one day be transformed into a glorious body -- like unto Christ's body. But it is the spirit and the soul that are the real you. From God's perspective the spirit comes first, then the soul, and finally the tabernacle for them (which is the body).

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gene Roddenberry was a genius or enlightened.
Apak would look sharp as a Borg! Jean Luc did!

And sorry, wrong group to be bringing up quantum physics to...
So we are 'pieces' of identifiable energy sources that permeate and cross into different realms of dimensions and spaces, as a quantum energy signature collective(s)?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we are 'pieces' of identifiable energy sources that permeate and cross into different realms of dimensions and spaces, as a quantum energy signature collective(s)?
Ah, I dunno about crossing over into realms and spaces.
I suppose some people do! (I have a couple times in deep meditation...but that is neither here or there, as the saying goes.)
If you are referring to me saying, 'there is no me'...it's just I know now the ego of Miss H is not me...
"I" is really not what I thought it was. 'Me' is part of a dynamic Wholeness of a Being we call God.

If you are referring to, 'we are 99.99999% empty space'...well, that is what quantum physics tells us now.
I mean nothing is what it appears, doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that!
Read any article on matter and that it isn't matter; a wave is a particle and vice versa...if you have not had that direct experience yourself, that is.
Nothing is what it seems.
That's why this place is a called an Illusion...I knew that when I was 8 yrs old!
This place is not real.
Jesus tried to show us by walking thru walls and walking on water...
not even our so-called Physical Laws are real.

and Hi @Enoch111...yup, our soul is surely real. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i agree that nothing is what it seems, but imo it is possible to go too far in the direction of "this place is not real."
or at least it was for me
How far is too far?

Perhaps that which is real is where and what God is. We, that is people in what seems to us to be bodies of flesh with 5 senses with which to perceive and a brain with which to consider and decide, may simply be that which is not real at all, a fictitious thing to allow us to proceed if we are interested toward reality. God invites people to enter reality so that when our "time" is finished something of us will remain.

If we never encounter God and are never able to "see" and "hear" Him and His kingdom and enter therein, then when our "time" is finished, then there would nothing because there was really nothing at the start. It was a possibility but by our decisions we eliminated that possibility of being a part of reality.

This seem to be wild speculation but is it? Consider all of the scenarios men on their own have built from scripture. What is God's real message to us? What is the "good news"?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What is the "good news"?
yes, good Q. It depends upon who the hearer is, i guess. To someone who believes that believing hard enough will get them into a place called heaven after they are literally dead it means one thing, and to a Christian it means another, something along the lines of "you don't have to deny your birthright any more." I saw the...inherent joke? there less than a month ago, almost started a thread on it lol. "Good News" really can = more like "Good news, i'm pregnant" or "Good news, we got new shovels" or something lol.

Of course the law of sin and death was overcome, for better or worse, that is Good News i guess. Will be overcome, whatever.
Course we don't stone ppl for lying any more, we promote them...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, good Q. It depends upon who the hearer is, i guess. To someone who believes that believing hard enough will get them into a place called heaven after they are literally dead it means one thing, and to a Christian it means another, something along the lines of "you don't have to deny your birthright any more." I saw the...inherent joke? there less than a month ago, almost started a thread on it lol. "Good News" really can = more like "Good news, i'm pregnant" or "Good news, we got new shovels" or something lol.

Of course the law of sin and death was overcome, for better or worse, that is Good News i guess. Will be overcome, whatever.
Course we don't stone ppl for lying any more, we promote them...
Understanding what God really wants to say to a person is blocked too often by his decision in his own mind that something is, as you have put it, "an absolute truth". I believe absolute truth exists, but how much of it do I know or can I know? When should I be calling something an absolute truth just because at the moment I believe it is? is it not sometime really better to remain silent? How closely are we following the Spirit of Truth? How much of my doctrine [if the word is understood] is correct?

When the "good news" comes to us, we may have trouble expressing to another person who has not really heard it but believes that he has. We may even have trouble at times expressing it clearly to ourselves because of the garbage we have consumed and retain within us. What is truth and how much garbage are we calling truth?

This is or should be part of our growth, as I see it... that is increasing what we really know about God and the things of Gods as opposed to what we only believe and perhaps believe in error. We have eaten and probably still are eating too much garbage while calling it truth. Am I guilty also on this point?

Do the following verses pertain to us as they did to Saul/Paul?

"And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks." Acts 9:4-5

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Understanding what God really wants to say to a person is blocked too often by his decision in his own mind that something is, as you have put it, "an absolute truth". I believe absolute truth exists, but how much of it do I know or can I know? When should I be calling something an absolute truth just because at the moment I believe it is? is it not sometime really better to remain silent? How closely are we following the Spirit of Truth? How much of my doctrine [if the word is understood] is correct?
yes, you are verifying a doctrine i am...apparently being confronted with, that being that those who know aren't talking, lol. i think @Episkopos was just mentioning this
What is truth and how much garbage are we calling truth?
i try to never use the word myself, in a declaration anyway, ya

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, you are verifying a doctrine i am...apparently being confronted with, that being that those who know aren't talking, lol. i think @Episkopos was just mentioning this
I guess I haven't read those posts. Wouldn't surprise me as there is a lot posted here at times... even now. Sometimes I try to read everything but when the traffic gets too heavy I skim or skip a lot.
i try to never use the word myself, in a declaration anyway, ya
I will use the word, truth, but usually mention it as being equal to Jesus. Then people will say that they know Jesus so they know truth. This of course is a problematic answer. I believe Jesus is equal to truth, but how well do I know him? How well does anyone know him? Knowing him in part is like our vision as "through a glass darkly". Who is now able to see him already "face to face"? The Apostle Paul wrote those words and included his own personal vision as also being limited which, I believe, means his knowledge of truth was limited.

Reactions: bbyrd009