The 10th Commandment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The dreaded 10th commandment. Why single that commandment out?

There were 2 tablets of commandments given at Sinai. The first with the 4 holiness laws...and the 2nd with the 6 righteousness laws.

But the 10th commandment is unique in that it is not an outward commandment but an inward one.

Old Testament righteousness dealt with behaviour...outward behaviour. A person could think evil thoughts and could covet all day long, but as long as he didn't act on his baser impulses he was seen as righteous. So a person could be righteous under the law and still be a sinner inwardly. As in...the outside of the vessel is clean, but the inside is corrupt.

But coveting is a direct challenge to the privacy of our every thought. Naturally these thoughts are hidden from men...although not from God.

So the law speaks of another level of righteousness...the righteousness of God. And only God can determine that a person is free from coveting.

The law shows us that men cannot escape their covetousness in their own power. Without being filled with the Spirit we WILL covet...something.

Coveting is trying to be fulfilled with something of this world...other than with God Himself. We have a need to be filled with something...and the world offers many products and things that we think we want.

No man has ever conquered covetousness with his own willpower. There is always something we will want. So then ALL who covet are under the law. That dreaded 10th commandment keeps us pinned down to earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the POSITIVE SIDE, by God's Description in Scripture, who , if anyone, was not covetous ? (besides Jesus, of course)....

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There were 2 tablets of commandments given at Sinai. The first with the 4 holiness laws...and the 2nd with the 6 righteousness laws.

But the 10th commandment is unique in that it is not an outward commandment but an inward one.

Old Testament righteousness dealt with behaviour...outward behaviour. A person could think evil thoughts and could covet all day long, but as long as he didn't act on his baser impulses he was seen as righteous. So a person could be righteous under the law and still be a sinner inwardly. As in...the outside of the vessel is clean, but the inside is corrupt.

But coveting is a direct challenge to the privacy of our every thought. Naturally these thoughts are hidden from men...although not from God.

So the law speaks of another level of righteousness...the righteousness of God. And only God can determine that a person is free from coveting.

The law shows us that men cannot escape their covetousness in their own power. Without being filled with the Spirit we WILL covet...something.

Coveting is trying to be fulfilled with something of this world...other than with God Himself. We have a need to be filled with something...and the world offers many products and things that we think we want.

No man has ever conquered covetousness with his own willpower. There is always something we will want. So then ALL who covet are under the law. That dreaded 10th commandment keeps us pinned down to earth.
It doesn't have to keep us pinned to earth, what was nailed to the cross was our past transgression of the law, we were made a new Creation, Christ in us. We are being transformed into Christ so that Christ will be manifested in us, this is how the 10th commandment is dealt with.

Reactions: marks

brian100

Jul 5, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Old law is gone. new law... forgiveness.

Jesus said the heart of the law is mercy. Something u find in hearts. But the guy who stole my wife? I don't know. But I forgave him.

Luckily he has no claim over me in the Kingdom of heaven. What God brings together let no man tear apart..

Mark 10:6-9

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
On the POSITIVE SIDE, by God's Description in Scripture, who , if anyone, was not covetous ? (besides Jesus, of course)....

They who are crucified with Christ. The power of the cross crucifies us to the world and it's lusts.

Gal. 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When Jesus listed the commandments of the second tablet...to love your neighbour as yourself... He omitted the last one...the 10th commandment. That commandment is in a class apart. It actually goes with being in the Spirit along with the first 4 commandments.

Mat. 19:16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery, ‘You shall not steal,‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

The other 2 citations of this lesson are similar. There is no mention of not coveting. The 10th commandment is not there...but the call to perfection is in the forsaking of earthly desires. But we see that Jesus says to have our treasure (our desires) in heaven. So then to be perfect means to not covet things here on earth.

Now it is obvious that the young man very much desired to keep his earthly goods.

So then the standard of following Christ is to be a steward of the earthly goods...to hold on to them lightly.

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Does everybody covet?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does everybody covet?

Yes...unless one is crucified so that the one living is Christ. Otherwise we are looking for something to fulfill us in OUR lives. Either we are in control...or God is.

A Christian is a person who is learning to turn over his/her life over to God for certain times...as one can. As such these are experiences of God's grace..His holy touch. So we are tasting to see if we want that kind of life. If we do...then we go to God to surrender all in order to be "possessed" by God so that it is HIS life being manifested in our bodies.

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes...unless one is crucified so that the one living is Christ. Otherwise we are looking for something to fulfill us in OUR lives. Either we are in control...or God is.

A Christian is a person who is learning to turn over his/her life over to God for certain times...as one can. As such these are experiences of God's grace..His holy touch. So we are tasting to see if we want that kind of life. If we do...then we go to God to surrender all in order to be "possessed" by God so that it is HIS life being manifested in our bodies.
There are non-believers who don’t covet-i know at least one

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do tell! ;)

I think it's impossible outside of being crucified to stop from sinning completely. We are just human after all. :)
I'm a new creation in Christ Jesus by the Father's Doing as written throughout all Scripture and accomplished just as He Says.

Does everybody covet?
Does it matter ? If so, why?

There are non-believers who don’t covet-i know at least one
Yes, some people without Torah do what is right. It is written (God Says) that they are justified.
Also written, those who have Torah, but do not do what is right, are unjustified.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm a new creation in Christ Jesus by the Father's Doing as written throughout all Scripture and accomplished just as He Says.

Yes, some people without Torah do what is right. It is written (God Says) that they are justified.
Also written, those who have Torah, but do not do what is right, are unjustified.

People can be justified without being perfect...Jesus said...IF you would be perfect then get rid of everything and follow Me.

So the standard of not coveting is really to be exactly as Jesus....without any desires in this world.

Now no human (who is honest) can claim to have no desires in this world...unless he be crucified so that Jesus is living through them.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People can be justified without being perfect...Jesus said...IF you would be perfect then get rid of everything and follow Me.

So the standard of not coveting is really to be exactly as Jesus....without any desires in this world.

Now no human (who is honest) can claim to have no desires in this world...unless he be crucified so that Jesus is living through them.
As written, they can be perfect, and thus justified, without any desires in this world (of whom the world is not worthy!) ....

The method is as you have posted one , two, or more times. Be crucified with Christ, as written. Abide in Him. Live His Life. As God the Father , and Only Him, can accomplish, as we trust Him for salvation. (we willingly Do all that He Says and Directs)

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do tell! ;)

I think it's impossible outside of being crucified to stop from sinning completely. We are just human after all. :)
O Was talking about 10th comm. coveting... :) ...also imo, humans (we) are given a choice-to sin or not to sin (not inc. sins of ignorance)

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Was taking 10th comm. literally, as in coveting things that belong to other people...
“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”
There are quite a few old and N/T people who didn’t covet

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. God Says So.

?

What happened to the quote (body of the post quoted) ? (at the moment, all I see is a blank quote, though I thought I clicked Reply to quote the whole post ..... )

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
QUOTE="2 Chr. 34:19, post: 783313, member: 8879"][/QUOTE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE="2 Chr. 34:19, post: 783313, member: 8879"][/QUOTE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
————————————————
Episkopos said
——————————————-

i Was taking 10th comm. literally, as in coveting things that belong to other people...
“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that isyour neighbor’s.”
I made the point that there were quite a few old and N/T people who didn’t covet, and they weren’t Jesus

Reactions: Joseph77

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul admitted his own struggle with sin...even after being born again. Being born again does not make you sin-free. The free gift is meant as a sample to "taste and see that the Lord is good."

To enter into the kingdom life you need to go to the cross...to pay all...in order to possess the land.

Romans 7:7
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Notice the reference to the 10th commandment. Paul is acknowledging that we humans will always covet something until the power of an independent life is changed into a full dependence on God. And this is not by self-effort.

If we walk in the Spirit we will not fulfill the lusts (the covetousness) of the flesh.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The battle of spirit and flesh continues until death.

Most people lose.