The Apostle Paul Dismissing the Cult

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would classify a cult as following a man. Even men such as John Calvin, the Pope, or some other popular name. The Apostle Paul also dealt with this in his time....

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. - 1 Corinthians 1:12-15

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. - 1 Corinthians 1:17

Commendable to the Apostle Paul there was not a following that cascaded down in his name.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would classify a cult as following a man. Even men such as John Calvin, the Pope, or some other popular name. The Apostle Paul also dealt with this in his time....

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. - 1 Corinthians 1:12-15
Yes, ...but I wouldn't say definitively so. That is, there are probably many factors that can determine if a particular group or belief system is cultish.
I, in line with your OP, am adamantly non-denominational just for the reasons that you stated - I will never put another name before Christ's.
Neither Luther, Calvin, presbyters (Knox), tongues (Charismatics), methodologies (Wesleys), England (Anglican), Pelagianism or not, East or West (Schism), can save one's soul. Christ alone, and nothing before or after him.

But, like I said, defining a cult is very subjective and controversial. Favouring a leader, Evangel or theologian is not the only criteria. What about heresy, bondage, estrangement and ostracization from family, demands of financial support, delusions of grandeur by the leader, unconventional liturgy and worship (giggles for god), under aged or woman preachers....?

Reactions: rockytopva

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The word cult has been severely debased. It does have a useful meaning (two actually) but as the Online Etymology Dictionary gives in it's second definition:
Cult. An organized group of people, religious or not, with whom you disagree.

It has come to used (in very recent times) by some people as a pejorative word to label some groups, particularly religious groups, that they disagree with. I find that is the most common usage on internet forums. People make up their own definitions to fit a particular group they disagree with.