The Bible And Abortion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dose the Holy Bible, the Word of God, have anything to say on the important subject of abortion?

Firstly, we need to know what is known by the term “abortion”

“the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus” (Websters English Dictionary)

A “miscarriage” is defined as:

“have spontaneous abortion: to lose a foetus, especially a human foetus, through a miscarriage. be spontaneously aborted: to be expelled from the womb at too early a stage in development to be able to survive” (Encarta World English Dictionary [Bloomsbury])

There is a passage in the Book of Exodus, that mentions a woman who “miscarries”.

Exodus 21:22-23

“And when they strive together men and they injure woman pregnant so that they go out children of her but not he is mortal injury to fine he shall be fined. As he shall place on him husband of the woman and he shall give on judgements. But if harm he is then you shall give life in place of life” (The Hebrew-English Interlinear ESV Old Testament; Literal reading)

This passage is about a violent argument between men, where there is a pregnant woman present near them. During this struggle, the woman is somehow “injured” (nâgaph, which can also include fatal injuries), which caused the “children (masculine plural, boys), to “come out” (yâtsâ’) of the woman. It is clear from the Hebrew, that the “mortal injury” is of the children, and not the woman, as we have the masculine, singular, “’âsôn” used, as the ESV rightly reads, “he is”. “’âsôn” is used in the Old Testament for serious, and even fatal injuries.

The Hebrew “wə·yā·ṣə·’ū yə·lā·ḏe·hā”, literally, “children come out”, is translated as “to miscarry”, or, “born prematurely”, or “fruit depart”, or “come out”, etc, in our English Versions. The masculine plural, shows that there is more than one boy in the womans womb.

In verse 23, “’âsôn” is used to show that either, one, or both of the boys died from the result of the injuries sustained by the woman, during this violent argument between the two men. It is clear, “then you shall give life in place of life”, which is a requirement of death, and not injury.

It is clear from verse 23, that if the child, or children, died, which can only mean, “to miscarry”, and not as some English translations read, “she gives birth prematurely”, as in the NASB, as this does not mean that the child or children, did not live. “she has a miscarriage”, is used in these Versions: NAB; NASB 1977; Douay-Rheims Bible; NRSV; Lasma Syriac Bible; The Contemporary Torah, JPS, 2006, etc

This miscarriage was caused by the fighting of these men, and could well have been deliberate, and not accidental. The seriousness of this, where there is death, results in the death of those who caused the woman to miscarry. If this is the punishment that Bible demands for miscarriage, there can be no doubt that those who perform premeditated abortions, are equally guilty with the Lord.

There is an interesting verse in the Book of Job, on miscarriage/abortion:

Job 3:16, “Or like a miscarriage which is hidden, I would not exist, As infants that never saw light” (NASB). “Or as a hidden abortion I am not, As infants -- they have not seen light” (YLT)

Hebrew, “ḵə·nê·p̄el”, “untimely birth, abortion” (Brown, Driver, Briggs; Hebrew Lexicon). “a premature birth, miscarry, abortion. (Gesenius; Hebrew Lexicon)

Early Jewish understanding on Abortion

Flavius Josephus (1st Century)

“The law moreover enjoins us to bring up all our offspring: and forbids women to cause abortion of what is begotten; or to destroy it afterward. And if any woman appears to have so done, she will be a murderer of her child; by destroying a living creature, and diminishing human kind.” (Josephus, Against Apion, Bk. II. 25)

The Early Church Teaching on Abortion

The Didache (1st-2nd century)

“do not abort a fetus or kill a child that is born.” (Ch 2 The Second Commandment)

“Thou shalt not doubt whether a thing shall be or not be. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain. Thou shalt love thy neighbor more than thine own soul. Thou shalt not murder a child by abortion, nor again shalt thou kill it when it is born. Thou shalt not withhold thy hand from thy son or daughter, but from their youth thou shalt teach them the fear of God” (Epistle of Barnabas 19:5)

Athenagoras (133-190)

“And when we say that those women who use drugs to bring on abortion commit murder, and will have to give an account to God for the abortion, on what principle should we commit murder ? For it does not belong to the same person to regard the very foetus in the womb as a created being, and therefore an object of God's care, and when it has passed into life, to kill it ; and not to expose an infant, because those who expose them are chargeable with child-murder, and on the other hand, when it has been reared to destroy it. But we are in all things always alike and the same, submitting ourselves to reason, and not ruling over it.” (Athenagoras, For Christians, Ch xxxv)

Tertullian (155-220)

“The embryo therefore becomes a human being in the womb from the moment that its form is completed. The law of Moses, indeed, punishes with due penalties the man who shall cause abortion, inasmuch as there exists already the rudiment of a human being, which has imputed to it even now the condition of life and death, since it is already liable to the issues of both, although, by living still in the mother, it for the most part shares its own state with the mother.” (Tertullian, De Anima, Chap. xxxvii.—On the formation and the state of the foetus in the womb, and its relation with the subject of this treatise.)

Hippolytus (170-235)

“Whence women, reputed believers, began to resort to drugs* for producing sterility, and to gird themselves round, so to expel what was being conceived [in their womb. This scandalous conduct they were guilty of,] on account of their not wishing to have a child either by a slave or by any paltry fellow, for the sake of their family and excessive wealth. Behold, into how great impiety that lawless [wretch] has proceeded, by inculcating adultery and murder at the same time!” (Hippolytus, Refutation of All Heresies, Bk. IX, ch vii) Dr Wordsworth renders the Greek*, “ women began to venture to bandage themselves with ligaments to produce abortion, and to deal with drugs in order to destroy what was conceived.”

Basil (329-379)

“Women also who administer drugs to cause abortion, as well as those who take poisons to destroy unborn children, are murderesses. So much on this subject.” (Basil the Great, To Amphilochius, concerning the Canons, viii)

Jerome (347-419)

“Some, when they find themselves with child through their sin, use drugs to procure abortion, and when (as often happens) they die with their offspring, they enter the lower world laden with the guilt not only of adultery against Christ but also of suicide and child murder.” (Jerome, To Eustochium, 13)

Sulpicius Severus (363-420)

“In the number of these was Euchrotia and her daughter Procula, of the latter of whom there was a common report that, when pregnant through adultery with Priscillian, she procured abortion by the use of certain plants. When they reached Rome with the wish of clearing themselves before Damasus, they were not even admitted to his presence. Returning to Milan, they found that Ambrose was equally opposed to them.” (The Works of Sulpicius Severus, Chapter XLVIII)

Apostolic Constitutions (about 380)

“You shall not slay your child by causing abortion, nor kill that which is begotten; for everything that is shaped, and has received a soul from God, if it be slain, shall be avenged, as being unjustly destroyed.” (Apostolic Constitutions (Book VII, sec. I.3)

Council of Trullo (692)

“Those who give drugs for procuring abortion, and those who receive poisons to kill the fœtus, are subjected to the penalty of murder…Whoever gives or receives medicine to produce abortion is a homicide.” (The Canons of the Council in Trullo, Canon XCI)

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a strong opinion that if the pregnancy is known and a drug like misoprostol is taken to result in the termination of that life then it is flat-out murder, according to God's revelation of his moral laws. I see no way around it. Life clearly begins at conception per many instances in God's word (David saying in sin my mother conceived me, meaning when he was conceived he was already in sin; John the Baptist leaping in his mother's womb when coming close in contact with Jesus; God saying before you were in mother's womb I knew you to one of the prophets--can't recall if it was Jeremiah or one of the others, but I want to say him. And I'm sure there's others. That's just what I can recall without looking through the Bible since I often don't have time for that).

I don't have as strong a feeling on the plan-B pill. I feel that it should not at all be used by a believer in the truth of God's word. Yet, since it's not certain that a pregnancy has occurred, I would not request to have nothing to do with the transaction as I did put in a request at work, since I work in a pharmacy, to be exempted from having anything to do with misoprostol when it is used for the termination of a known pregnancy.

And as for birth control, I don't think it is wrong to use it. God has provided these means in these increasingly difficult times to plan our families and I do not see them necessarily as sinful [though I feel they could be used in such a way; for example (as I did prior to my conversion), a woman takes the pill and then sleeps around before marriage because then the "consequences" of sleeping around and "ruining" her life are not as likely to happen while on birth control]. Also, if God wants a child to be conceived, it will happen regardless of the use of birth control since it's not 100% effective. I've known countless people who've gotten pregnant while using the pill--I was the result of one of those occurrences. You can even get your tubes tied, if you wish to (I did when I got married because we were older and my husband was quite a bit older than me, and we didn't feel it would be best to have children at our age; yet, if the Lord wanted us to have one we surely would have).

These things I feel have no moral connotation per God's revealed word in my understanding. Of course, other people surely have differing opinions on the matter and we each, as our own servant to the Lord, have to answer to our Master; he may have placed convictions in the hearts of some of his servants which he did not in others.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strong opinion that if the pregnancy is known and a drug like misoprostol is taken to result in the termination of that life then it is flat-out murder, according to God's revelation of his moral laws. I see no way around it. Life clearly begins at conception per many instances in God's word (David saying in sin my mother conceived me, meaning when he was conceived he was already in sin; John the Baptist leaping in his mother's womb when coming close in contact with Jesus; God saying before you were in mother's womb I knew you to one of the prophets--can't recall if it was Jeremiah or one of the others, but I want to say him. And I'm sure there's others. That's just what I can recall without looking through the Bible since I often don't have time for that).

I don't have as strong a feeling on the plan-B pill. I feel that it should not at all be used by a believer in the truth of God's word. Yet, since it's not certain that a pregnancy has occurred, I would not request to have nothing to do with the transaction as I did put in a request at work, since I work in a pharmacy, to be exempted from having anything to do with misoprostol when it is used for the termination of a known pregnancy.

And as for birth control, I don't think it is wrong to use it. God has provided these means in these increasingly difficult times to plan our families and I do not see them necessarily as sinful [though I feel they could be used in such a way; for example (as I did prior to my conversion), a woman takes the pill and then sleeps around before marriage because then the "consequences" of sleeping around and "ruining" her life are not as likely to happen while on birth control]. Also, if God wants a child to be conceived, it will happen regardless of the use of birth control since it's not 100% effective. I've known countless people who've gotten pregnant while using the pill--I was the result of one of those occurrences. You can even get your tubes tied, if you wish to (I did when I got married because we were older and my husband was quite a bit older than me, and we didn't feel it would be best to have children at our age; yet, if the Lord wanted us to have one we surely would have).

These things I feel have no moral connotation per God's revealed word in my understanding. Of course, other people surely have differing opinions on the matter and we each, as our own servant to the Lord, have to answer to our Master; he may have placed convictions in the hearts of some of his servants which he did not in others.

Thanks for your time to reply in detail

You say, "Life clearly begins at conception", but do we really know at what time does this take place? It seems a grey area in the medical world. Is the "zygote" a "living person"? or, is this when the embroy becomes a "Fetus"? Is there evidence in the Bible on this development?

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your time to reply in detail

You say, "Life clearly begins at conception", but do we really know at what time does this take place? It seems a grey area in the medical world. Is the "zygote" a "living person"? or, is this when the embroy becomes a "Fetus"? Is there evidence in the Bible on this development?
I do not believe that there is any exhaustive description of the development of the embryo in God's word. Zygote and Fetus are medical terms to describe conception at different stages. When the egg and sperm are joined, this makes a life (since all human life starts at this point) and God does not say when that life becomes a person; science has attempted to determine what God has given no revelation about.

I feel that we are looking into excuses for murder if we try to differentiate what God has not set boundaries on. God gives us no differentiation so we have nothing to go on except that if we know that life has been conceived then it should not be murdered. That is why I do not believe Christians should have anything to do with plan B because I feel there is no way of knowing if life has been conceived; so you may be murdering a child, you may not be. Let God decide the course and take responsibility for your actions if it was the result of your own actions. Rape is a very difficult topic. I definitely understand it to be morally wrong to murder a child even by this means of its conception, but that is not something I will condemn someone for because though I know what I wish I would do in that situation, I cannot say that I would choose that on my own strength. These people in these situations have a burden that I am so thankful that God has never placed on me.

Reactions: Nancy

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is why I do not believe Christians should have anything to do with plan B because I feel there is no way of knowing if life has been conceived; so you may be murdering a child, you may not be

and yet you said in your first post

"I don't have as strong a feeling on the plan-B pill. I feel that it should not at all be used by a believer in the truth of God's word. Yet, since it's not certain that a pregnancy has occurred"

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Philip, but, is there a real "person" without a brain, or heart, etc? how can this be "alive"?

Hello ByGrace,

It is clearly 'alive' by any biological definition.

It is human

It has diffent DNA than its mother

So i guess the debate then is what constitutes a 'person'

Do we become a person at some point in our development? How do we make such a distinction? A human is not fully developed until they're 20, 25 years old.. Do we arbitarily say 'aha this human has developed enough now that we will acknowledge it as a person' ?

Pax et Bonum

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ByGrace,

It is clearly 'alive' by any biological definition.

It is human

It has diffent DNA than its mother

So i guess the debate then is what constitutes a 'person'

Do we become a person at some point in our development? How do we make such a distinction? A human is not fully developed until they're 20, 25 years old.. Do we arbitarily say 'aha this human has developed enough now that we will acknowledge it as a person' ?

Pax et Bonum

A "person" before they have a heart or brain or other organs?

Not possible

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Philip, but, is there a real "person" without a brain, or heart, etc? how can this be "alive"?
Babies can be born without a brain...they cannot be born without a heart...would be dead as soon as disconnected from mom. If he or she is breathing, they are alive...JMO.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that it was overturned, is awesome enough, perhaps there is still hope for America.

Is it true that the Supreme Court is now a majority of Conservatives, who overturned the law?

What happens when the majority is Liberals who support the right of choice, they can again overturn the ban?